Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

What to get next?

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum Archive thru June 2002 » Archive Thru May 2002 » What to get next? « Previous Next »

Pikkle
Posted on Sunday, May 12, 2002 - 6:36 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I HATE WAITING FOR SPACKLE TO DRY!!!
Nascentvirion
Posted on Sunday, May 12, 2002 - 5:37 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I'm gonna order the Kubler soon....
Pikkle
Posted on Sunday, May 12, 2002 - 5:07 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

About the only thing that is different is the color... other than that, pretty much identical... yup.
Albertcamus
Posted on Sunday, May 12, 2002 - 11:28 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

segarra fucking rocks!i have kubler on the way,but so far segarra is my favorite.i must be easy to please because i even like Deva.
Joalco
Posted on Sunday, May 12, 2002 - 11:20 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

You might wanna have the ol' taster there checked... If anything, the Francois Guy is a little reminiscent of Wolvie's Verte. I'm sitting here with a glass of Guy and a glass of Segarra in front of me, and I can definitely tell the difference through color, smell, louche, and taste.
Pikkle
Posted on Sunday, May 12, 2002 - 11:15 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Nope, they're pretty much the same, end of story...
Absinthespoon
Posted on Sunday, May 12, 2002 - 10:10 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

François Guy and Segarra are very different. I really can't stand Segarra, while François Guy is my favorite of the commercial brands.

F. Guy: very pale yellow, almost clear. lovely smell, mild flavor, well balanced taste.

Segarra: caramelly color and taste. strong taste and smell of something I find unpleasant (I assume from the brandy barrel).

The only similarity would be that they are both made with green anis, not badiane. (this is a good thing)
Pikkle
Posted on Sunday, May 12, 2002 - 9:48 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

The similarities are too close for comfort if you ask me... a little collusion there maybe? I've drunk plenty of Segarra, too much perhaps and when I popped the cork on ole Frank, that's the first thing that came to mind. I tried to play it off as an abberation, a trick of the nose and years of abuse but after slurping on about three or four Frank Guys, I was still struck by the likeness... The only time I can say the Frank Guy veered from the base flavor of the Segarra is when I drank it neat, warm and smooth on the palate. This is of course my opinion but like I said, I've drunk an inordinate amount of Segarra and I'm still trying to find any significant disparities between the two, tastewise that is...
Joalco
Posted on Sunday, May 12, 2002 - 9:30 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

There are some slight similarities, but Francois Guy and Segarra do not taste the same. I've drunk plenty of both, and I can tell the difference just from the scent, much less the taste. The Segarra, while still a tasty beverage, is much less complex than the Guy.
Destiny
Posted on Sunday, May 12, 2002 - 1:48 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hey Brett, be a guinea-pig and take Pikkle's advise - I'm curious to know if F.Guy and Segerra really do taste the same. Hell, get some Kubler too... and make me a sandwich!

Don't forget to post your review.
Pikkle
Posted on Sunday, May 12, 2002 - 12:54 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Get the Segarra from SC and the Frank Guy from Markus, stand them side by side (ignore the color) and you'll not be able to tell the difference... this works out well for me since I quite enjoy Segarra though neither is no where close to some of the le bleue I've enjoyed... take it all for what it is... or something... once you've had either one of these, you'll laugh at yourself for drinking Mari Mayans and N.S... I did... I still am... I can't stop laughing... oh god!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Brett
Posted on Saturday, May 11, 2002 - 11:46 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I'm running low on both my Mari Mayans and my N.S. 70. While I'm quite certain I'll get a bottle of something from SC, I was thinking about something from Markus, but what? I'm curios to try the Kubler, Pernod 68, Francois Guy and Oxygénée but which seems to be the most popular? (So far, from what I've read most people prefer the Kubler or the Francois Guy).

The buyers guide make them all seem so appealing.

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page