Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

I fought the law.........

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum Archive thru June 2002 » Archive Thru May 2002 » I fought the law......... « Previous Next »

Wolfgang
Posted on Monday, May 13, 2002 - 6:00 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hummm now it's almost vintage Segarra ;-)

It's been a long time since my last glass from Chert, I miss it.
Pikkle
Posted on Monday, May 13, 2002 - 12:30 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

No wonder Mad Max happened...
Mr_Carfax
Posted on Monday, May 13, 2002 - 12:13 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

The reasons for impounding stem from how absinthe is interpreted under the Australian Prohibited Imports Regulations for products containing oil of wormwood- essentially, absinthe is a prohibited import according to how they currently operate the law.

The way I got it out was interpretation of the legislation where Customs delegates discretionary powers to the Therapeutic Goods Administration- who have no mandate to regulate foods, only medicines. Hence an internal delegatory process had to be set up to the food authority with whom I had to negotiate with on a number of technical issues...with a successful outcome.

That said- the Customs legislation still holds, and the current food code also still holds with severe restrictions on the import of absinthe - so it is not suddenly 'legal' in Australia per se- there is still a lot of beauracratic and legislative inconsistency in place.
Zman7
Posted on Sunday, May 12, 2002 - 7:24 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Mr. Carfax,
Congratulations! If you don't mind my asking, what was the reason given for the impounding initially. And ...what was the winning argument that finally got you your goods?
Z
2loucheltrec
Posted on Sunday, May 12, 2002 - 7:07 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

this just .... brings a tear to my eye... a beautiful thing.... you should offer a drink to the wonderful people at your postal service...
Nascentvirion
Posted on Sunday, May 12, 2002 - 5:36 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Congrats...
Mr_Carfax
Posted on Sunday, May 12, 2002 - 4:45 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

and I won.

After 9 months of negotiation and arguing with the Therapeutic Goods Administration, the Food Authority and Australian Customs, my impounded bottles of Segarra and NS70 are being priority mailed to me by the nice people in Postal Surveillance.

My girlfriend is coming in from interstate this week, I'm going to invite a few friends around as well, and we're going to sit out on my sundeck and crack open the fruit of Mr Segarra's labours and savour every drop.

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page