Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Effects, Effects, Effects

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum Archive thru June 2002 » Archive Thru May 2002 » Effects, Effects, Effects « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Archive through May 14, 2002Wolfgang25 5-14-02  5:22 am
Archive through May 23, 2002Zman725 5-23-02  12:05 pm
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Wolfgang
Posted on Tuesday, May 28, 2002 - 5:06 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Moonman's burning the candle by both ends... All those space trips are very hard on the system...
2loucheltrec
Posted on Monday, May 27, 2002 - 9:38 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

or maybe a caffiene I.V. drip...
Destiny
Posted on Monday, May 27, 2002 - 4:27 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Sounds like Moonman needs some speed.
Wolfgang
Posted on Monday, May 27, 2002 - 9:21 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

It`s also not so easy to pool the good one as not all fractions tastes the same and the tail taste come gradually.

Anyway, as I said, the moron just falled asleep and waked a little bit to late.
Wolfgang
Posted on Monday, May 27, 2002 - 9:19 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

That`s what he does...unless he fall asleep...
Absinthespoon
Posted on Friday, May 24, 2002 - 6:38 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Quote:
>>"But then again, collect one Oz/litre too much of final product and all efforts are wasted because this damn michivious lady have the bad habit of farting at the end of the meal."

Wolf, I don't understand why Moonman doesn't collect fractions and pool only the good ones. (This is from the perspective of a bench scientist.)
Crowlyman
Posted on Friday, May 24, 2002 - 4:41 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

>>Illinois and Indiana as well. It's only right, when you consider the miles and miles of corn ...

This is something I know all too well!!
Artemis
Posted on Friday, May 24, 2002 - 5:40 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

No, but it does mean that after they're equal, there's no difference between them. That's the nice thing about equal. But I obviously got off an a tangent from the point made by Robertsmith, which was essentially sound. I'll let it go at that.
Wolfgang
Posted on Friday, May 24, 2002 - 5:06 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

...but that doesn't mean all neutral alcohol are created equal...
Artemis
Posted on Friday, May 24, 2002 - 3:58 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I was talking about distilled absinthe made with a neutral alcohol of 95% that bears the brand name "Everclear". The first step in the distillation process is extraction of compounds from plant material using that alcohol. That step is called maceration.

> Are there macerated brands which are actually
> better than or as good as some distilled?

There is no way that any "absinthe" made by any process that leaves out distillation is anywhere near as good as, much less better than, absinthe made by distillation. I was only arguing that you cannot attribute bad flavors to neutral alcohol because it is, well, neutral.
Dr_Ordinaire
Posted on Thursday, May 23, 2002 - 6:09 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Traineraz:

I hope Artemis does not mind me answering this. And if he does, he will let me know...

There seems to be a confusion between the origin of the alcohol and the procedure to make absinthe.

Everclear is just alcohol. With it you can make absinthe by maceration (Yuck!) or by distillation.

Distillation is good. Maceration is bad. Distillation leaves behind absinthin, the second most bitter substance known. Maceration doesn't. Any absinthe made by maceration...and still drinkable! would have so little Artemisia Absinthium in it as to be...what?... a bitter vodka? Forget about any secondary effects.

As far as which is the best macerated vodka. ONCE I dipped my finger in what was left after distillation. ONCE was enough...
Traineraz
Posted on Thursday, May 23, 2002 - 5:36 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Artemis commented that some wonderful absinthes are made with Everclear; it's been my impression from readings that macerated absinthes are considered far inferior to distilled. (I've only had distilled, myself.)

Are there macerated brands which are actually better than or as good as some distilled?
Wolfgang
Posted on Thursday, May 23, 2002 - 1:08 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

The fairy like to feast on grapes. She likes it when you give her at least some as a dessert to complete her grain meal. It makes her softer.

But then again, collect one Oz/litre too much of final product and all efforts are wasted because this damn michivious lady have the bad habit of farting at the end of the meal.

The fairy is unforgiving.

This bad habit is the main concern that plagues my Moonman friend. The rest is not a problem anymore.
Artemis
Posted on Thursday, May 23, 2002 - 12:49 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

> 190 is certainly available in Louisiana!

Illinois and Indiana as well. It's only right, when you consider the miles and miles of corn ...

> I just mean cheap and bad tasting, which
> everclear is, even if it is totally pure, so
> please forgive my semantic error Arty.

Well it's not bad tasting, it has no taste other than the taste of alcohol. And it's not cheap either, when you consider what it really is and where it comes from. The vast majority of the price is of course, taxes. It does have a harsh edge to it which can come through in absinthe for sure, so you're right about that.

> what makes a good absinthe is the harmony of
> all the ingredients.

That and clean technique is what makes up for the harshness. "Softer" alcohol would help, but my personal opinion is that this is overrated. I've been engaged on and off in an intensive off-line discussion of this, so I'm coming from that perspective; I wasn't trying to slam you.

> Some absinthes taste like the ingredients are
> in balance with eachother ... and others taste
> like a cocktail of different herbal extracts
> mixed with alcohol, and MM is of the latter
> category.

Agreed. Except in the case of MM, it's not even a cocktail; it's almost straight up star anise.
Admin
Posted on Thursday, May 23, 2002 - 12:36 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

190 is certainly available in Louisiana!
Robertsmith
Posted on Thursday, May 23, 2002 - 12:15 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

95% everclear is available in Jersey (maybe thats whats wrong with the state!), but is illegal in New York. Anyway, maybe some absinthes are made with everclear, I don't know. You're all obviously more knowledgeable about the subject than I. I wasn't claiming I thought that MM literally had everclear in it, I just know that the alcohol taste is more prominent in MM than other 70% absinthes I've had. When I say "low grade" I just mean cheap and bad tasting, which everclear is, even if it is totally pure, so please forgive my semantic error Arty. I guess why MM 70% tastes bad in my opinion is the same reason Grey Goose vodka tastes better than Smirnoff: the manufacturing process is different. In my opinion what makes a good absinthe is the harmony of all the ingredients. Some absinthes taste like the ingredients are in balance with eachother (which I assume comes from macerating the herbs and distillation? I don't know), and others taste like a cocktail of different herbal extracts mixed with alcohol, and MM is of the latter category.

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page