Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Anyone from San Francisco???

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum Archive thru June 2002 » Archive Thru May 2002 » Anyone from San Francisco??? « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Archive through May 14, 2002Admin25 5-14-02  9:40 pm
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Larsbogart
Posted on Thursday, May 16, 2002 - 7:28 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

"$25"
Remarkable...how does Betty stay in business with savings like that?
2loucheltrec
Posted on Wednesday, May 15, 2002 - 7:52 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

chevalier- you could have saved $25 on your TL spoon from betty if you purchased a bottle of her absinthe with it ;-) .... really !
Chevalier
Posted on Wednesday, May 15, 2002 - 8:19 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Probably the opposite, unless TL could channel into the future. (Don't skewer me for that, Blackjack.)
Larsbogart
Posted on Wednesday, May 15, 2002 - 8:14 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

He really was the Keith Haring of his day wasnt he?
Chevalier
Posted on Wednesday, May 15, 2002 - 8:09 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I've been told that one of the original TL hollow canes is in a museum in Spain (or Portugal?)

New hidden-flask canes are not hard to come by, but I've never heard of one made to look specifically like TL's.
Larsbogart
Posted on Wednesday, May 15, 2002 - 8:03 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

"I suppose the next thing will be a repro of Toulouse-Lautrec's hollow cane with the absinthe flask inside.

already exists, can be found in paris..."

So does that mean the desert leech is in her lab?
Chevalier
Posted on Wednesday, May 15, 2002 - 8:00 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Is there nothing left to rip off? (Other than one's own ear.)
Petermarc
Posted on Wednesday, May 15, 2002 - 7:57 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

>I suppose the next thing will be a repro of Toulouse-Lautrec's hollow cane with the absinthe flask inside.

already exists, can be found in paris...
Chevalier
Posted on Wednesday, May 15, 2002 - 7:55 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Well, they say that high-proof alcohol makes a great disinfectant.
Larsbogart
Posted on Wednesday, May 15, 2002 - 7:53 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

yes, but think about all that bad karma everytime you use your spoon.
; )
Chevalier
Posted on Wednesday, May 15, 2002 - 7:52 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

You do, albeit the box is pretty cheesy-looking. I don't remember Betty's flasks. I suppose the next thing will be a repro of Toulouse-Lautrec's hollow cane with the absinthe flask inside.

I really like absinthe paraphernalia, and an original antique TL spoon would cost me at least $3000. Now, if Frenchman Phil appears with these spoons and starts selling them for $25, I'll kick myself in the ass. Until then, I won't worry about it.
Larsbogart
Posted on Wednesday, May 15, 2002 - 7:39 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Bettys rip off is not impressive for that reason [make copies of this]and too expensive. A knockoff jacked up 500%.
[Remember her flasks?]
One thing you can take to the bank is that she will never drop her price even if she has to grovel or starve.
I DONT WANT ONE NOT EVEN FOR FREE.
With the other spoon you do get the box, dont you?
Larsbogart
Posted on Wednesday, May 15, 2002 - 7:29 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I suppose I should be honored. Thank you, Thank you. It is truly an honor to be in the company of the former Mr. Walsh, even though he never answered one of my e mails.
All you little people out there, I encourage you to pursue your dreams. Look at what Betty Bashing has done for me...
Paisano,the next time someone does buy a bottle from Betty/Betina/Nolan you'll hear about it here first.
There's a whole other side to the secondary effects of Absinthe from Betina Elixirs: buy a bottle from Betty, then post how wonderful she is. She aint wonderful. To quote another forum member: "SHES OUT THERE". OUT of her fucking mind.
Any further inquires please start a new thread.
Stay with us, more to come...
Chevalier
Posted on Wednesday, May 15, 2002 - 7:28 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hmm. I went on a repro spoon binge last month: got Betty's spoon, and a silver spoon from http://www.laboheme.uk.com/absinthe.htm

http://www.laboheme.uk.com/Absinthe/absinthe_spoon.htm

I'm very impressed with the "laboheme" silver spoon. Though it is clearly inspired by an antique "feuille d'absinthe" spoon, every detail -- from form to ornamentation -- has been altered, rendering it an original work, not a slavish copy. The leafwork designs are hand etched, not embossed, and the "Absinthe Original" lettering on the handle (which I'd prefer plain) is at least very well and deeply engraved. The spoon's silver has three hallmarks on the back of the handle. Apparently, it was made by someone in the Czech Republic. While I don't have an antique "feuilles" to compare it to, photo comparisons indicate that this new spoon is finer than the old. Price is $71.42. Shipping was very quick.

Betty's spoon is so close a copy of the original that it can't be called an "original" itself. Nonetheless, the ornamental lines of the new spoon are a bit more angular than the antique's. Also, the motifs are flattened where the new spoon bowl meets the handle, whereas the motifs on the old spoon are raised. There are no silver hallmarks. Overall, it's a very good reproduction, and where else are you going to find one like it? However, the "feuilles"-inspired spoon is more visually striking, IMO more finely made, and $28.00 cheaper.
Aion
Posted on Wednesday, May 15, 2002 - 7:02 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Chevalier,

do you already have one of these TL-repros??
and if so, is it worth the price?

A.
Chevalier
Posted on Wednesday, May 15, 2002 - 6:49 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Betty (of "Betina Elixirs") is an Arizonan who sells Swiss absinthe (and, most recently, a nicely-reproduced absinthe spoon) to desperate souls. Some find her prices too high. Others put up with the cost, saying that she provides good products and services. Larsbogart (and before him, a guy named Don Walsh ... but that's a long & winding story and who has the time, really?) entertains the cybermasses with clever if savage parodies of Betina-isms.

Any more questions? ;-)
Pikkle
Posted on Wednesday, May 15, 2002 - 6:03 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

more like Slobovian...
Marccampbell
Posted on Tuesday, May 14, 2002 - 11:15 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I am going to have my name legally changed to

He Who Calls Me Buttwipe.

Sounds American Indian doesn't it?
Paisano
Posted on Tuesday, May 14, 2002 - 11:07 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks all for the very warm welcome (esp. from he who calls me buttwipe... I must've missed the part of the site created in SF). btw, Who is Betty of Bettina's?
Marccampbell
Posted on Tuesday, May 14, 2002 - 9:59 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

kallisti,

that picture looks like an artists rendering of
the kind of things that were going on at the last New York City absinthe tasting.

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page