Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

From Hell (another movie where you ca...

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum Archive thru June 2002 » Archive Thru May 2002 » From Hell (another movie where you can see some absinthe) « Previous Next »

Artemis
Posted on Thursday, May 16, 2002 - 7:40 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

> The bottle appeared again, fleetingly, when the
> Ripper is doctoring the drink.

Then apologies to Wolfgang, he was right. I failed to catch that.

Seems like whores in 1880s London were an unsuspicious lot - offer them a drink they'd never tasted before, dosed with a foul-tasting medicine at that, and down the hatch it goes.
Absinthedrinker
Posted on Thursday, May 16, 2002 - 3:52 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I watched the film last night, not as gory as I thought it would be. My wife sussed out the Ripper on his first appearence which is more than I managed. The label on the absinthe bottle with its strange diagonally placed wording reminded me of the bottles in Moulin Rouge, maybe Fox were recycling props? The bottle appeared again, fleetingly, when the Ripper is doctoring the drink.
Marccampbell
Posted on Wednesday, May 15, 2002 - 7:16 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

vera,

thanks. thats a very cool website.
Verawench
Posted on Wednesday, May 15, 2002 - 5:33 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

For your drinking and drugging and mind fucking pleasure:

http://www.virtualom.com/
Verawench
Posted on Wednesday, May 15, 2002 - 5:32 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

"The fairy who lives in absinthe... wants your soul. But.. you are safe with me."
Dr_Ordinaire
Posted on Wednesday, May 15, 2002 - 5:14 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Laudanum is tincture of opium. So, as Artemis said, burning it would not be too productive...
Tortainglese
Posted on Wednesday, May 15, 2002 - 5:10 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Isn't laudanum a relative of heroin? same as morphine and opium?

as for other movies with absinthe scenes, Francis Ford Coppola's "Dracula" comes to mind. Gary Oldman as a very hip and chic 1880's modern Dracula gives absinthe to Mina as part of his seduction plan.

Excuse me if you already discussed this...I have been away for a few days.
Wolfgang
Posted on Wednesday, May 15, 2002 - 9:36 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

*flash* You'r right, he added the laudanum just before mixing the remaining sugar in the absinthe...

"made nasty faces after drinking it" well a shot of pure 70% acl. absinthe would do the trick, even with good absinthe.

"That's not the way I remember it, but I was only drinking La Fee"

Well I only had one glass... I'm trying to limit my consommation to very reasonable amounts during the week. Weekends are another story doo ;-).
Artemis
Posted on Wednesday, May 15, 2002 - 9:25 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

> Maybe did he put the laudanum after...doesn't
> change anything.

If you poured it onto the sugar and then burned it, the alcohol in the laudanum would be completely gone, and more than likely the opium along with it, before you could even consume it. So yes, it would change everything.

> Dangerous stupid show off ritual.

First time that I've seen it, but I liked it. Dangerous, well, if you like to set things on fire, that doesn't mean much ...

> Apparently laudanum tasted like shit

Well, Depp and the dosed whores all made nasty faces after drinking it, that's for sure.
Wolfgang
Posted on Wednesday, May 15, 2002 - 9:14 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Maybe did he put the laudanum after...doesn't change anything.

Anyway the fire is useless as laudanum is already opium dilluted in alcohol (a tincture) and it would mix perfectly with absinthe. If it change anything it would be to evaporate some alkaloid out of the laudanum, making it less effective.

Dangerous stupid show off ritual.

Apparently laudanum tasted like shit so it's possible that people where mixing it with some more strong alcohol to help the taste.
Artemis
Posted on Wednesday, May 15, 2002 - 9:01 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

> Then again they don't use the proper ritual but
> I think they may have found the origin of the
> burnt sugar ritual.

They found it alright - in Czechoslovakia. My guess is, they put that into the movie after consulting Sebor as subject matter experts.
They should have talked to Ian first, instead.

> The hero put a spoon on the glass and a sugar
> cube on it. He put many drops of laudanum on
> the sugar, ...
> pour a generous amounth of absinthe over the
> sugar/laudanum mixture and put it on fire.

That's not the way I remember it, but I was only drinking La Fee as I watched the movie :^). He put the spoon on the glass and the sugar on the spoon, then poured the absinthe over the sugar. He then dropped five or so drops of laudanum into the glass, but not onto the sugar. Then he lit the sugar. It made an impressive blue flame inside the glass, then he stirred up the whole thing and drank it with no added water.

> The absinthe label on the bottle is the
> typical "Absinthe suisse" one with the bees.

The label was attractive, but it seems to me they just made it up for the purpose of the movie, it didn't represent any actual historical label.

> We can also see the bad guys offering shooters
> of absinthe to the poor girls to be killed.

I didn't see that either. They do offer a drink, but nowhere is it shown (that I saw) what the drink is. But they do doctor the drink with (again) five drops of laudanum. I never saw absinthe anywhere in the movie except in the (very brief) scene with Depp in the bathtub a la Marat Sade.

> At least the hallucinations are not all blamed
> on absinthe

He's not hallucinating - he is clairvoyant. He uses absinthe, laudanum, and opium (chasing the dragon) to spur his clairvoyant visions.
Petermarc
Posted on Wednesday, May 15, 2002 - 8:52 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

>I should also add that the color of the absinthe used in this movie is a very dark olive green. Maybe NS, or some czech poison...

most likely sebor...

the spoon is a common modern losange, and the label on the bottle looks very similar to the one used in the nine-inch nails video...
Larsbogart
Posted on Wednesday, May 15, 2002 - 8:51 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

"But I still wonder if this vintage drug is still available somewhere..."
Have you tried to research it online?
Your last hope could be Betty... she just might be greedy enough...
Chevalier
Posted on Wednesday, May 15, 2002 - 8:39 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

One movie with an absinthe scene is Raoul Ruiz's 1999 "Le Temps Retrouvé" ("Time Regained"). An adaptation of the final volume of Marcel Proustís "À la Récherche du Temps Perdu", it shows Proust and his well-off friends watching an erotic silent film in a café / movie house. It's 1914, and waiters pass quickly to and fro with trays full of green absinthe-laden, unwatered glasses, a spoon balanced precariously on top of each glass. Even so, no one is seen drinking absinthe, nor is the drink mentioned.
Wolfgang
Posted on Wednesday, May 15, 2002 - 8:26 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

For sure opium, hashish and laudanum where easy to come by in victorian London but absinthe ? Well it was probably available even if not popular so that's all right.

Anyway I doubt this scene would be there if the movie have been made five-six years ago.

I should also add that the color of the absinthe used in this movie is a very dark olive green. Maybe NS, or some czech poison...

Maybe I should send a good sample to good old Johnny with instruction on how to properly use it...
Chevalier
Posted on Wednesday, May 15, 2002 - 8:16 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I wonder if Johnny Depp himself suggested that absinthe be added to the screenplay.
Wolfgang
Posted on Wednesday, May 15, 2002 - 8:11 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I Just saw "From Hell", a movie about Jack the ripper where we can see some absinthe references.

Then again they don't use the proper ritual but I think they may have found the origin of the burnt sugar ritual.

The hero put a spoon on the glass and a sugar cube on it. He put many drops of laudanum on the sugar, pour a generous amounth of absinthe over the sugar/laudanum mixture and put it on fire. He then mix everything without water and drink it straight.

The spoon is a very common one (didn't really try to identify it but I think it's one of the "Les lozanges" or "Les carres"). The absinthe label on the bottle is the typical "Absinthe suisse" one with the bees. The glass is not really an absinthe glass but who cares, he don't use water anyway.

We can also see the bad guys offering shooters of absinthe to the poor girls to be killed.

Honestly the way it is presented it didn't shock me to see such harsh absinthe references. It goes pretty well with the tough characters to drink it straight and to use it as a medium for laudanum consumption. At least the hallucinations are not all blamed on absinthe (The guy using laudanum in absinthe hallucinate and gets inspiration for his investigations from it but those who just take shooters of absinthe doesn't).

And the movie is ok. My girlfriend rent it and the absinthe scenes where a surprise for us. No need to specify that I stoped the movie, ran to the kitchen and poured an amazingly strong #8 of 1:4 water ratio (I usually put at least 1:5). Wouha!

...My lady made me promise not to ever use laudanum... Last year I read "Les paradis artificiels", she don't have to worry ;-) But I still wonder if this vintage drug is still available somewhere...

Here's the only picture a found featuring the absinthe and laudanum bottle. (not the best shot but well...)

Wolfgang
Posted on Wednesday, May 15, 2002 - 8:10 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

tabarnak!
Wolfgang
Posted on Wednesday, May 15, 2002 - 7:54 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

. (damn it!)
Wolfgang
Posted on Wednesday, May 15, 2002 - 7:47 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page