Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Archive through May 16, 2002

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum Archive thru June 2002 » Archive Thru May 2002 » Ted, don, jade? » Archive through May 16, 2002 « Previous Next »

Chevalier
Posted on Thursday, May 16, 2002 - 6:14 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Absinthe is bloody expensive and our girlfriends think we're nuts for spending so much money on it. Unless we're rich.

Who here is rich? Don't be shy; raise your hands.
Robertsmith
Posted on Thursday, May 16, 2002 - 6:10 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Gee I can't wait for yet another brand of absinthe for me to commit financial suicide with! I'm
having a hard enough time keeping up as it is, Kubler, new Pernod, now Un Emile, then SC comes out
with the spanish vs. french, and then there's the tempting Logan Fils! In the last month there's been like 8 new absinthe developments! Pretty soon vince McMahon and the world wrestling federation are going
to take over the absinthe market and they'll pit our favourite brands against each other in the ring
and we'll just keep throwing our money at it, and write nightly posts....
Chevalier
Posted on Thursday, May 16, 2002 - 5:54 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Right now, I'm sipping from one of my thirty magnum-sized bottles of "Jade Ultra Premium Grand Reserve Best of the Best Never Will Be Made Again", an ambrosia created just for me by Ted and Don. Marc Campbell will never, ever be given a chance to sample it, because he is not worthy of such perfection. No one is but me, only me, all for me, and I'm flying with the gods of Olympia, filled with unspeakable awe at the blindingly blissful samadhi that lifts me into the stratosphere. Don't be jealous, be happy for me and my liquor cabinet absolutely forbidden to your greedy mouths. Ain't life grand? ;-)
Marccampbell
Posted on Thursday, May 16, 2002 - 5:53 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

And talk about secondary effects. Man, am I tripping!
Pikkle
Posted on Thursday, May 16, 2002 - 5:45 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hey, I've literally begged for a sample of Jade's creation, to no avail, I'm not in the proverbial clique or something... it's all Head's fault, we were supposed to go to NOLA last year and well, oops...
Marccampbell
Posted on Thursday, May 16, 2002 - 5:44 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

destiny,

now that was funny!
Chevalier
Posted on Thursday, May 16, 2002 - 5:44 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

When we all finally get our hands on Jade, I will post and let this forum know EVERY SINGLE TIME that I take a sip of it, just to get revenge on you who've already tasted some! You'll slice off your ears with boredom!

This green-eyed fairy's called ENVY!!!!!!!

;-)
Pikkle
Posted on Thursday, May 16, 2002 - 5:43 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Actually pikkle says "Dirty monkey loves you."
Destiny
Posted on Thursday, May 16, 2002 - 5:42 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Don and Ted say:

"Nothing is as authentic as Jade. It will be here soon..."

Blackjack says:

"Jade doesn't exist unless I can touch it, taste it, or scientifically measure it."

Lord Hobgoblin says:

"Jade is capitalist whore-juice exploiting third-world labor."

Nolan says:

"I've got Betty, I don't need no Jade."

Betty says:

"Jade? I got Deva for $100."

Wolfgang says:

"Thank god for Moonman."

Zen Master says:

"If Jade is the best, but does not exist. Is it then the best?"

Pikkle says:

"Look at my monkey wiener!"
Pikkle
Posted on Thursday, May 16, 2002 - 5:40 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

If it nevers comes to fruition, those of you who've tasted it's magic, consider yourselves rare and lucky... to the rest of us, it may as well have been a faerie tale, pun intended... yet to those the blind who once could see, the bell tolls for thee...
Marccampbell
Posted on Thursday, May 16, 2002 - 5:38 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Well, this talk of Jade sent me to the liquor cabinet. I poured myself a glass of Ted and Don's creation and am sipping it now. Its very very good. It reminds of La Bleue, though less oily and with a slight bit more bitterness. It has the alpine floral quality of the best Swiss absinthes.
There is only one other absinthe that comes close
to the standard set by Jade, Nephilim's.
Marccampbell
Posted on Thursday, May 16, 2002 - 5:38 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Well, this talk of Jade sent me to the liquor cabinet. I poured myself a glass of Ted and Don's creation and am sipping it now. Its very very good. It reminds me of La Bleue, though less oily and with a slight bit more bitterness. It has the alpine floral quality of the best of the Swiss absinthes.
There is only one other absinthe that comes close
to the standard set by Jade, Nephilim's.
Chevalier
Posted on Thursday, May 16, 2002 - 5:30 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

"Boo!", types the troubled spirit.
Chevalier
Posted on Thursday, May 16, 2002 - 5:21 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

But if, for some reason, Jade DOESN'T comes out ... you'll see shocked, angry, pained conversation subtopics fill up with 300 posts per hour.

I myself would have no choice but to punch a hole through my computer screen and bleed to death. My last words would be "abs ... abs" and the doctors would think they were hearing "abstinence". They'd hail me as a martyr for Catholic values and I'd be canonized. My troubled spirit would haunt Ted and Don (and skeptical Blackjack too) for all eternity. And yes, it would continue to post on this forum ...
Pikkle
Posted on Thursday, May 16, 2002 - 5:19 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

So if it kicks everyone's ass, it must have been done with much care... if they just wanted to turn a buck, you'd be drinking the next Deva. No one goes to the kind of pains these gentlemen have without some type of passion. I fully understand their motives and it probably has little to do with getting rich... we all need to eat though.
Meat_Nipples
Posted on Thursday, May 16, 2002 - 5:05 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

"no one should have to go to all this trouble for a bunch of whiney ingrates..."

They are going through all the trouble as a commercial venture, not to make everyone on this forum happy. Iím sure theyíll want their customer base to extend beyond this small online community.

Not to say there isn't some personal satisfaction to be had in producing an absinthe that, from what Iíve heard, kicks everything out thereís ass.
Pikkle
Posted on Thursday, May 16, 2002 - 4:30 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Just let it go!!!!!
What I like is that even though there are all these so called new brands, different manufacturing processes, etc, and in essence they are all based on the same premise, they do not taste all the same... except to the untrained palate. Hell, from day to day the same brand will taste differently to me, that is the beauty of the absinthe coming out now... there is a revival going on here, it's slowly but surely gaining momentum and I'm excited to see what's gonna come out next, whether it be Don and Ted's brew or whatever else, bring it all on... if you distill it, they will drink it!
Lint
Posted on Thursday, May 16, 2002 - 3:36 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I agree ted and don owe us nothing. my question was just general curiosity, and its true, there are a ton of new/old brands out there, and i like the taste of many. so when jade does hit, ill be happy, until then, im not gonna care about it or worry. Itll be much less of a let down if it never happens, and much more of an enjoyment if it does...

i didnt even intend this thread to go past a few responses, but it seems just mentioning "jade" these days gets everyone pissed..
Emileguysmiley
Posted on Thursday, May 16, 2002 - 3:02 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

With so many brands available why so obsessed with just one?

I count online only more than 57 brands of commercial absinthe and more than ten homedistilled brands that can be had easily. Is it possible that there were many more brands than this for most of the production period of original absinthes? I know that at some points there were more and at some points there were less, but on average how many were there? I undetstand that there were more bottles sold per year at the end of the 19th century, but today there are almost ten times as many bottles of pastis sold by Pernod-ricard alone every year than there were of absinthe in total back then (if you look at Pernod-ricard's stock reports and at Conrad's numbers for total absinthe sales).

I think that we look back at a 100+ year period and at all the brands that tried and failed during that period and imagine that they were all available at once in one place. That's not possible. I bet that we have a better selection today through the internet than anyone would have back then.

And most of the brands that we have are pretty good. I know I got flamed for saying that they were mostly the same, but it's got to be true that they're more the same than different. And when you look at many of the tales of bad bitter absinthe at the turn of the century with poisonous colorings it's got to make you feel pretty good about what we';ve got.

I bet just one Oscar Wild in this group could change everyone's opinions about how good or bad absinthe today is. Peopkle here just take all of the energy that he would have used in describing what was great aboiut absinthe and they put that energy into cutting down brands that they have gotten tired of.
Pikkle
Posted on Thursday, May 16, 2002 - 2:30 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

He owes you nothing... if and when this happens, be thankful, in fact apologize for your insolence to Don and Ted... no one should have to go to all this trouble for a bunch of whiney ingrates...
I_B_Puffin
Posted on Thursday, May 16, 2002 - 2:06 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

If Ted reads this I would like to know what the hold up is.
I'm beginning to doubt that it willl ever come out. A year and half delay and no explanation?
Lint
Posted on Thursday, May 16, 2002 - 11:00 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

okay just being sure you guys didnt have any insight or anything. seems like month ago when i got something from that mailing list...

this should have been named:
"Ted, Don, Jade?: Or how I learned to stop waiting for Jade and enjoying available Absinthes"
Admin
Posted on Thursday, May 16, 2002 - 10:41 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

if you've signed up for their mailing list at bestabsinthe.com, your guess is as good as ours.

no tidbits here!
Larsbogart
Posted on Thursday, May 16, 2002 - 10:39 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Jade who?
Lint
Posted on Thursday, May 16, 2002 - 8:52 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I know those are touchy subjects but has there been any news on that front?

I havent been around in a while..

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page