Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Archive through May 17, 2002

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum Archive thru June 2002 » Archive Thru May 2002 » From Hell » Archive through May 17, 2002 « Previous Next »

Absinthedrinker
Posted on Friday, May 17, 2002 - 8:23 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

No one has ever set fire to absinthe in my house. No one WILL ever set fire to absinthe in my house.
Wolfgang
Posted on Friday, May 17, 2002 - 8:02 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Ho yes ! That's becuse Sebor doesn't louche well...
Wolfgang
Posted on Friday, May 17, 2002 - 8:01 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Yes but why the fire ritual ? Why do they always have to set the damn thing on fire ???!
Absinthedrinker
Posted on Friday, May 17, 2002 - 7:15 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I should quickly point out that the only reason Sebor was poured was because Jeremy set the shoot up and wanted to get his product placed. (Un Emile 68 was not even a glimmer of an idea back then).
Rimbaud
Posted on Friday, May 17, 2002 - 7:04 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I went out last evening and picked up the FROM HELL DVD. First thing I watched was, of course, the absinthe featurette. Ian, you did us proud! Too bad they were pouring Sebor, though...
Artemis
Posted on Friday, May 17, 2002 - 4:01 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

> Certainly not Sickert...how she managed to
> waste 4 million on that is beyond me.

I saw that woman on ABC. What a joke. Seldom have I seen anybody so utterly convinced of what was so obviously bullshit.
Rimbaud
Posted on Thursday, May 16, 2002 - 3:01 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Have to agree with you there, Chrysippvs... Kosminski all the way!
Chrysippvs
Posted on Thursday, May 16, 2002 - 2:20 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I have my money on Kosminski. The head of the investigation at Scotland Yard and the PVC both wrote both at the time of the killings and year after that it was Kosminski. Psychopath, misogynist, tanner, impotent...looks good to me.

Tumblety, Ostrog, etc are neat ideas, but I don't think they meet the bill. Certainly not Sickert...how she managed to waste 4 million on that is beyond me. She is about to be sued by the Sickert estate for her insane assumptions....I hope she has another 4 million ready...

It was Aaron, even the High Rabbi of London had a feeling it was a Jew doing the murders.

Just my two cents/shillings,

- J
Perruche_Verte
Posted on Thursday, May 16, 2002 - 9:15 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Has Marr put anything out recently? Seems all I can find are old back issues.
Larsbogart
Posted on Thursday, May 16, 2002 - 9:12 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

"$"
Admin
Posted on Thursday, May 16, 2002 - 8:54 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Quote:

Any Murder Can Be Fun fans out there?

*waves*
Barsnake
Posted on Thursday, May 16, 2002 - 8:41 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Recently watched a story on primetime regarding Patricia Cornwell's obsessive search for Jack the Ripper...Kind of interesting
http://abcnews.go.com/sections/primetime/DailyNews/pt_ripper_011206.html
Perruche_Verte
Posted on Thursday, May 16, 2002 - 8:06 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Like a lot of the great conspiracies (JFK, the Lindbergh baby, etc.), the Ripper has generated enough theories to drown in. And all this for a pathetic misogynist who wasn't even really that prolific - no Ted Bundy, him.

Any Murder Can Be Fun fans out there?

http://members.tripod.com/~johnmarr/

Great zine, but not one to take to work, unless you really like to be left alone.

Tumblety/Tumilty is an interesting character, enough to inspire a biography or two even if he wasn't the Ripper. And I tend to agree with you, Artemis, without imagining that I or anyone will ever "know".

The arguments against him are mostly generic: he seems to have been attracted to men, not women (cf. Andrew Cunanan, who killed other gay men). But that assumes a lot of things about human sexuality that aren't really hard and fast (gruesome pun not intended...), and the Ripper murders, though gruesome, seem oddly dispassionate in their details: veins carefully cut to avoid soiling the killer's clothing, etc.

Somebody stop me before I post on this topic again. ;-)
Artemis
Posted on Thursday, May 16, 2002 - 3:43 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I devoured the Jack the Ripper diary (James Mabry supposedly the ripper), but the diary was revealed as a fake.

That website may be the most comprehensive on any subject that I've ever seen; I've spent many hours there.

I'm satisifed now that Jack was an American, Tumblety or Twomblety; he's buried in St. Louis. It had nothing to do with secret societies, he merely hated women in general and whores in particular.
Tortainglese
Posted on Wednesday, May 15, 2002 - 9:09 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Thank you, Mr.Carfax. That Ripper web site is fascinating. I spent 3 hours reading case files. I was in school in London during the Ripper Centennial and became interested in it. The theories have developed greatly since then.
Mr_Carfax
Posted on Wednesday, May 15, 2002 - 5:45 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

The Stephen Knight book and the Sherlock Holmes movie both came out around 1978 I think.

The basis for all of Knight's conspiracy theory derived from the accusations of a certain Joseph Sickert, claiming he was told of this coverup by his father, but I believe he later withdrew his accusation.

A good ripper site on the net is http://www.casebook.org/
Admin
Posted on Wednesday, May 15, 2002 - 1:10 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Anyone? Bueller?

No? That's ok then, I found it:

Jack the Ripper : the final solution
by Stephen Knight
Chevalier
Posted on Wednesday, May 15, 2002 - 12:42 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Has anyone here seen "Murder by Decree"? Sherlock Holmes meets Jack the Ripper, as I recall. Involved the Masons and a relative of the Queen.
Admin
Posted on Wednesday, May 15, 2002 - 12:37 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

from hell is based on a graphic novel by Alan Moore:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0958578346/sepulchritude/

and *he* was inspired by a controversial book on Jack the Ripper that came out in the 80's (I think) tho I can't remember which author for the life of me (anyone know?), that in effect layed out the entire Ripper plot as a masonic conspiracy on orders from Victoria. Initially the book was very popular and has influenced most portrayals of the Ripper since, although his theories have been mostly discounted in scholarly circles.
Artemis
Posted on Wednesday, May 15, 2002 - 12:22 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Agreed, especially about the editing. One of the extra features on the DVDs is footage that was cut out, and I couldn't see any of it being useful in the film.

Also, in that other thread, I meant David’s painting ‘Marat’, with Depp in the bathtub, not ‘Marat Sade’.
Marccampbell
Posted on Wednesday, May 15, 2002 - 11:10 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I enjoyed FROM HELL. Its beautiful looking, atmospheric, tightly edited and has a great supporting cast of British actors. Unfortunatly,
the films central character is played by Johnny Depp. Depp is disappearing up his own asshole. He mistakes looking intense for being intense.
He's a void at the center of an otherwise engrossing film.
Wolfgang
Posted on Wednesday, May 15, 2002 - 8:33 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

oups...didn't see this thread before...
Nascentvirion
Posted on Wednesday, May 15, 2002 - 5:42 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I thought it was a nice little extra on the DVD. It too was the first thing I watched on the DVD, I also picked up "The Others".
Absinthedrinker
Posted on Wednesday, May 15, 2002 - 4:15 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks Artemis, you almost beat me to seeing it, Fox gave me a preview yesterday because it isn't out in the UK until October (!) Believe it or not those few minutes were the remains of 3 hours of filming. They said that they just wanted to shoot the antique collection, they hadn't told me they wanted a piece to camera, so I just had to busk it.

The other guy is Jeremy Hill, Sebor UK's Managing Director
Artemis
Posted on Wednesday, May 15, 2002 - 3:33 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

So the movie hit the stores yesterday - fortunately my local video rental outlet had some on disc when I showed up. So I got one, went home, and ignored the movie at first in favor of one of the supplemental attractions on the second disc: "Absinthe Makes the Heart Grow Fonder" or some such, starring Barnaby Conrad, our own Ian Hutton, and another man who was identified as a rep for Sebor.

Conrad, smiling the whole time like he was amused at the whole thing, gave a decent account except for a speculative (at best) account of the effects of thujone. He was interviewed in a restaurant, and the camera pans at one point to a bottle of Absente next to a pumpkin with an American flag painted on it.

Ian gave a better account, pronounced French words correctly in the midst of his Brit accent, and poured some of the real stuff to demonstrate the ritual.

The Sebor guy stepped in to explain that the burning sugar cube thing is a Czech invention.

I thoroughly enjoyed the movie too, although it takes more liberties with Jack facts than the Czechs do with absinthe.

Anyway, I thought it was well done by all concerned, especially Ian.

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page