Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Archive through May 17, 2002

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum Archive thru June 2002 » Archive Thru May 2002 » StarWars Episode II » Archive through May 17, 2002 « Previous Next »

Anatomist
Posted on Friday, May 17, 2002 - 8:20 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I agree about the ewoks. That's when I lost respect for Lucas's franchise - when he started thinking more about toy sales than moviemaking. I also couldn't buy into Vader turning good like that at the end - not believable in context. That movie having exactly the same plot structure as the original wasn't good either... it was even worse the third time around in Episode I.

K.
Pikkle
Posted on Friday, May 17, 2002 - 7:58 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

oh who cares, what did you all expect it to be? At least there weren't any of those fucking EWOKS!!!!!
Marccampbell
Posted on Friday, May 17, 2002 - 7:21 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Natalie Portman, who has been very good in other films, does an awful acting job in CLONES. What a waste.

And whats up with Jimmy Smits and poor Samuel Jackson? Iguess its just a money gig. But, talk about blowing your street cred.
Marccampbell
Posted on Friday, May 17, 2002 - 7:19 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

anatomist,

I agree with your comments regarding digital projection. I saw a digital presentation of ATTACK OF THE CLONES. It has this "soft focus", anemic, watery look. It lacks the beautiful graininess, contrastiness and warmth of celluloid.
Destiny
Posted on Friday, May 17, 2002 - 6:56 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Took a long lunch and went to see Attack of the Clowns this afternoon. It was what it was... not bad, not great.

No naked Natalie, but they do have her running around in cropped t-shirts (Looks like she's been doing situps like a good girl.) An added bonus is a nice semi-transparent white shirt thing (I was praying for a water-gun fight!)

Oh well, that's my review!
Anatomist
Posted on Friday, May 17, 2002 - 6:53 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

"I stopped arguing with Star War fans long ago.
They're mouthbreathing idiots. Sheep."

I especially like all the 'power to the people' hype about the virtues of 'digital projection'.

One of these days we'll look up and they'll be no more movies, just television. The theaters will all be filled with giant televisions... won't that be great?!? Who knows, maybe they'll actually be like 'choose your own ending' video games where the audience pushes buttons to decide the ending. It'll be so democratic. Trouble is, that's not what art or story-telling are about. However, it is what demographic-driven pablum is about.

And, if that doesn't work, then they claim it actually looks better. I haven't seen the super-tv's yet, but I have to say that if 'Episode I' is supposed to be the floor model of what goes onto them, it was one of the ugliest movies I've seen. In fact, too much of the screen was too 'sharp' most of the time - unlike one's eye or a standard film exposure where there is a clear depth of focus and other parts are deemphasized. Combined with all the unreal-looking digitally created motion, the movie had the effect of putting me in a trance-like, mildly dizzy, blank stare that I found difficult to keep trained on the screeen. Digitial schmigital. 15 minutes of WALLACE AND GROMIT put all the digital animation ever done to shame.

K.
Admin
Posted on Friday, May 17, 2002 - 5:50 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

they do make one! modeled after the outfit I wore the Strawberry Festival held in Mississippi each year ...

quiche lorraine
Marccampbell
Posted on Friday, May 17, 2002 - 5:33 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Robertsmith,

may Godard take a dump in your mouth.

I stopped arguing with Star War fans long ago.
They're mouthbreathing idiots. Sheep.
Robertsmith
Posted on Friday, May 17, 2002 - 5:06 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

How much for a Kallisti action figure?
Admin
Posted on Friday, May 17, 2002 - 3:00 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Quote:

Boy, it sure is nice the Kirsten Dunst and Christina Ricci are legal now. I feel less dirty...

I was pissed they neglected to do a Ricci figure for Sleepy Hollow. I like the alt-cinema hottie girls quite a bit myself. Strangely, Dunst looked very mature in Spider Man.

And you're right, Spider Man is just as much fluff. But it goes to show when you have a director and actors that can turn fluff into something shamefully pleasurable to watch, instead of just embarrassing.

And, Robertsmith, that was a very interesting bit on the dialog manipulations. explains ALOT.
Robertsmith
Posted on Friday, May 17, 2002 - 2:45 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

blackjack,
As your keen ears noticed, they did ADR (automated dialog replacement) the shit out of the lines on that film. They actually did the ADR right there on the set. Lucas would ask the production sound recordist what he thought needed to be redone for qualitys sake, and they had a powerbook right there on the set to record the looped dialog with the same microphone so it would match the production take. The problem was the recordings were too quiet so they had to compress the shit out of them, and since Lucas doesn't know dick about directing actors, he just told them to say every line every way they could think of, and then the ADR editor would just cut and paste the words together to make sentences. They were literally rebuilding the lines word by word and sometimes one sentence would be made out of 6 different readings. Lousy fucking way to make a movie if you ask me, but many movies were done that way. 95% of Titanic was recorded after the shoot. 99% of Crouching Tiger was looped, and Chow Yun Fat and Michelle Yeoh in Crouching Tiger didn't even know Mandarin (the language in which it was spoken), they only knew Cantonese, and so they just had to fake the pronounciations!
Pikkle
Posted on Friday, May 17, 2002 - 2:35 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Blackjack (and I don't say this about anyone... ) you rule!
_Blackjack
Posted on Friday, May 17, 2002 - 2:23 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Quote:

hey... where you guys downloading it from?????????????

alt.binaries.movies.divx
Larsbogart
Posted on Friday, May 17, 2002 - 2:22 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

"I feel less dirty..."

Doesn't that take all the fun away?
_Blackjack
Posted on Friday, May 17, 2002 - 2:21 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Quote:

It's the equivalent of downloading 2 inch by 3 inch jpegs of Jackson Pollacks paintings so you don't have to go the museum to see it. It's not the real thing.

Indeed, I will make no comments about the visual appeal of the movie unless I see it on the big screen. However, the dialogue, acting and pacing are apparent even in a bad bootleg.
_Blackjack
Posted on Friday, May 17, 2002 - 2:17 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Quote:

now that I have spidey, fuck star wars.

Well, the dialogue in Spidey was a LITTLE less stilted and painful than in Send in the Clones, but not by much. The difference is, Spiderman was directe well enough to compensate.

Quote:

and thanks to head I now have my dunst action figure.

Mmmm...nipply...

Boy, it sure is nice the Kirsten Dunst and Christina Ricci are legal now. I feel less dirty...
_Blackjack
Posted on Friday, May 17, 2002 - 2:12 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

All I can say, from the first half-hour of the bootleg I watched, that Lucas seems to have INSISTED that they re-take every line putting stress on each word ( "YOU should be mindful of your feelings", "You SHOULD be mindful of your feelings", "You should be mindful OF your feelings,") and then picked the worst, most INAPPROPRIATE rendering. Even Ewan McGregor and Ian McDiarmid, who I KNOW can act, sounded stilted. How bad does a director have to be to make Ewan McGregor seem wooden and charmless?

I am now SURE that the only reason that Empire was a good movie was that Lucas didn't direct or write the dialogue...
Larsbogart
Posted on Friday, May 17, 2002 - 1:06 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

One of these days I have to see that movie...
Robertsmith
Posted on Friday, May 17, 2002 - 9:35 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Since my vituperative rant got filed into the archive, I just want to make sure MarcCambpell knows he's a big stinkin myopic moron for saying "Star Wars is the death of cinema". Gee, I didn't know cinema was dead. Guess I'd better call the Coen Brothers, Scorcese, Mike Figgis, Spike Lee, Christopher Nolan, Barry Sonnenfeld, Terrence Malick, Ridley Scott, John Frankenheimer, Julie Taymore, Sajayit Rey, Wong Kar Wai, Steven Soderbergh, and every other director and tell them they're wasting their time because Star Wars ruined cinema for everyone, and that we should all confine our high falootin artsy fartsy cinematic aspirations to admiring movies of times gone. No more cinematic advances for anyone! Lucasfilm may singlehandedly be responsible for all the current technical advancements which allow directors to create worlds which were previously impossible with pre Star Wars technology, but I guess according to Marc Campbell cinema is dead because of the Star Wars phenomena....
I prefer to give cinema more credit and be thankful for both those who make big budget entertaining visual feasts and those who make true cinematic art. They are not at odds with eachother, they are simply different approaches to making movies. Starwars is no more of a threat to cinema is an art form than John Waters is a threat to Star Wars.
Nascentvirion
Posted on Friday, May 17, 2002 - 8:50 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

People are fucking stupid. The goddamn figure is worth more than that gigantic fishing hook.
Chevalier
Posted on Friday, May 17, 2002 - 8:40 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Don't forget the "Royale with cheese" and foot massage comments ...
Absinthedrinker
Posted on Friday, May 17, 2002 - 8:38 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

The TOP 10 Things We Want To Hear Samuel L. Jackson, "Jedi Master
Mace Windu," say in the Star Wars Prequel.

10. You don't need to see my goddamn identification, 'cause these
ain't the motherfuckin' droids you're looking for.

9. Womp rat may taste like pumpkin pie, but I'll never know,
'cause even if it did I wouldn't eat the filthy motherfucker.

8. This is your father's lightsaber. When you absolutely,
positively, have to kill every motherfuckin stormtrooper in the
room...accept no substitutes.

7. If Obi-wan ain't home then I don't know what the fuck we're
gonna do. I ain't got no other connections on Tattooine.

6. Feel the Force, motherfucker.

5. What ain't no planet I've ever heard of! Do they speak Bocce
on What?

4. You sendin' the Fett? Shit, Hutt, that's all you had to say!

3. Yeah Chewie Rocky Horror's got a hair problem. What the
brother gonna do? He's a wookie.

2. Does Jabba the Hutt look like a bitch?

1. Hand me my lightsaber... it's the one that says, "Bad Mother
Fucker."
Chevalier
Posted on Friday, May 17, 2002 - 8:36 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

You'll find bidders for it.
Robertsmith
Posted on Friday, May 17, 2002 - 8:32 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hey everybody, I got a penny that fell out of George Lucas's pocket in Tunisia. It's an absolutely authentic SW prop. Bidding starts now.....
Chevalier
Posted on Friday, May 17, 2002 - 8:18 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Unbelievably absurd Star Wars "prop" auction.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2103060763

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page