Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Film Forum

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum Archive thru June 2002 » Archive Thru May 2002 » Film Forum « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Archive through May 18, 2002Marccampbell25 5-18-02  5:57 pm
Archive through May 19, 2002Anatomist25 5-19-02  10:02 am
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Nascentvirion
Posted on Monday, May 20, 2002 - 11:07 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Who wants to see CF & NP get it on ? ...gif
Larsbogart
Posted on Monday, May 20, 2002 - 7:28 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

"The End"
Absolut/ly. You couldnt pay me to see any of that garbage, unless you Clockwork Orange me.
"The Presidents Analyst" they dont make movies like that anymore. Thats a movie that made sense...phone company paranoia...true to life.
Pikkle
Posted on Monday, May 20, 2002 - 6:36 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Okay, just saw SW II (5):AOTC. It wasn't nearly as horrid as the first one, the effects were kind of cool yet nothing groundbreaking and yes, the whole digital thing left you feeling like you'd been looking at bad wallpaper on acid the whole night but is was sure nice watching N.P. run around most of the film all nipple-y like... the end.
Chevalier
Posted on Monday, May 20, 2002 - 5:30 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

As far as fantasy films go, has anyone cast a vote for THE TRUMAN SHOW? If not, I will. If so, I still will.
Chevalier
Posted on Monday, May 20, 2002 - 5:11 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Mystery Science Theater 3000. Though always hit-and-miss, I remember when "next Sunday, A.D." was a great day. ("Manos: The Hands of Fate", "The Creeping Terror" and "The Beast of Yucca Flats" come to mind.)
Admin
Posted on Sunday, May 19, 2002 - 10:21 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

heh, it's usually me with all the salon links, but Anatomist has carried the torch proudly this weekend.
Verawench
Posted on Sunday, May 19, 2002 - 10:13 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Btw, is it just me or is this forum on a salon.com binge?
Admin
Posted on Sunday, May 19, 2002 - 9:59 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

*plays taps*

... and so ends the x-files.

it was like putting a beloved, but long suffering pet to sleep. an act of mercy long overdue.

http://www.salon.com/ent/tv/feature/2002/05/17/x_files/index.html
Bjacques
Posted on Sunday, May 19, 2002 - 4:20 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Maybe they're obvious choices, but I liked Josie Chung's 'From Outer Space,' Small Potatoes and that William Gibson one. It was sort of a valentine for us old Mondo2000 fans.
Verawench
Posted on Sunday, May 19, 2002 - 3:57 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Oh, X-Files, how I loved thee...

Honestly, the show lost its beauty when they moved the entire operation to California. Sunlight didn't bode well for the crew's gothic imagination... A few decent episodes followed, but it was pretty much downhill since then.

Some of my favorites: Post-modern Prometheus (the black and white one); Bad Blood; Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose; The Erlenmeyer Flask; Unruhe...
_Blackjack
Posted on Sunday, May 19, 2002 - 3:49 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Quote:

Just as the X Files is very self referential, as is the Simpsons, as is Star Trek, etcetera.

Well, X-files stoped being entertaining when it reached the point that it had to be self-referential, and the Simpsons survived on pure wit until the past could of seasons (please LET IT DIE!)

Star Trek? Well, it survives in much the same way as Star Wars, on the support of fans who will eat any shit endorsed by the franchise and call it vanilla ice cream. The franchise has, occasionally, succeeded in producing some entertainment, but they have no motivation to really try and do so.
_Blackjack
Posted on Sunday, May 19, 2002 - 3:44 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Quote:

Did anyone see Conan O'Brien's dog insult puppet harassing Star Wars geeks last night?

Yah! That bit usually leaves me cold, but Robert Smigel was in rare form. I guess it's particualrly amusing because I've known so many of those geeks. Hell, I barely escaped BEING one of those geeks, primarily because of my congenital inabaility to take _anything_ that seriously, much less myself.

I especially enjoyed when they brought in the guy dressed as Spock to give them all the finger...
Chevalier
Posted on Sunday, May 19, 2002 - 3:24 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

The Pathé's 1896 "great cities of the world" films show that men crossing Berlin streets would step heedlessly into horseshit and walk right on. Incredible but true.
Artemis
Posted on Sunday, May 19, 2002 - 12:47 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Duval made another film in Louisiana called "Convicts" (which I like a lot better than "The Apostle") that takes place on a sugar cane plantation a few miles from the (virtually identical) one on which I grew up.
Artemis
Posted on Sunday, May 19, 2002 - 12:42 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

> THE APOSTLE is a terrific film.

The house into which Robert Duval goes to meet the black preacher when he arrives in Louisiana to start his new church was actually the house of the grandmother of my best friend (a white boy; there are actually no black people at all living on that road) from roughly 1976 until he was killed in 1993. I used to take pictures of the house; I have lots of them with shrimp boats going by on the bayou past it, etc.

Other scenes were filmed in the general area.
Lordhobgoblin
Posted on Sunday, May 19, 2002 - 10:12 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I missed many a lecture at University watching the re-runs of 'Man in a Suitcase'. The BBC re-ran the series back in the early 80's. How could McGill stay so cool and calm, despite the fact that he seemed to always be getting the shit kicked out of him? I loved 'Man in a suitcase', it was a real classic.

Hobgoblin

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page