Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Archive through May 18, 2002

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum Archive thru June 2002 » Archive Thru May 2002 » Film Forum » Archive through May 18, 2002 « Previous Next »

Marccampbell
Posted on Saturday, May 18, 2002 - 5:57 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

speaking of product placement, that steaming turd SPIDER MAN is full of them.
Thegreenimp
Posted on Saturday, May 18, 2002 - 5:49 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Imagine any of the Pathe Freres from the late 1890's(they had special effects that still hold up)......or the hand colored Edisons from the same time frame.........there was real wonder.
Not this sterile computer generated glop, with product placement shots.
Give me Mabel Normand kicking Charlie Chaplin in the ass.
Marccampbell
Posted on Saturday, May 18, 2002 - 5:49 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

robertsmith,

the cinemas in Quebec refuse to show CLONES because they feel they are being shaken down by George Lucas. He's demanding that give him most of their ticket sales and that they show his film for a minumum of 8 weeks. The theater owners feel that they will lose money on the deal. They don't want to tie up their screens for two months showing CLONES when they have serious doubts as to whether there is enough of a demand in Canada for the film.

I predict a CLONES backlash in Europe and Asia. I think Lucas' film is seen as a symbol of American cultural dominance and I think the rest of the world is getting fed up.
Marccampbell
Posted on Saturday, May 18, 2002 - 5:38 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Jay,

imagine seeing any movie in 1910. Wow.

Sci-fi and fantasy films that succeed as works of art and the imagination:

METROPOLIS, NOSFERATU, THINGS TO COME, INVASION OF THE BODY SNATCHERS, John Carpenter's THE THING,
2001, ALIEN, ALIENS, ET, THE WICKER MAN, THE LORD OF THE RINGS, RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK, A.I.,
THE KINGDOM, COCTEAU'S BEAUTY AND THE BEAST,
WIZARD OF OZ, KING KONG, THE ABYSS, TERMINATOR,

to name a few.
Robertsmith
Posted on Saturday, May 18, 2002 - 5:34 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Good points Mr. Campbell and Mr. Anatomist. Star Wars main appeal to me is through nostaliga, because it was a very influential film of my childhood. Yep, I got sucked into the marketing, my parents spent a lot of money on it, and I sure love my Star Wars toys. It was a lot of fun to make believe that I had just landed on Dagobah (I had the playset in my bath tub), and that R2D2 was sinking and that I used the force to save him. I like the very calculated unspontaneous Star Wars films because they are familiar and still fun anyway (fun being subjective of course). Star Wars exists through it's own self referentiality, just as the greek tragedies were so popular in Rome, and just as Shakespeares plays were all successful through their own self referential nature, and their marketing to those who had money. Just as the X Files is very self referential, as is the Simpsons, as is Star Trek, etcetera. I agree Lord of the Rings is an excellent example of imagination, and I agree that George Lucas has become a greedy monster, and I respect Canadian theaters for rejecting Lucas's demands, (although I think the Canadian fans should boycott the theaters for deciding what the fans can and cannot see!) but I don't think independant cinema is any the worse off because of Star Wars. John Waters has no trouble making movies. Boys Don't Cry was made quite easily on a budget of barely nothing by Hollywood standards and it got an oscar (I don't think Oscars really amount to shit, but it's nice to be recognized for being good). I'm actually pretty optimistic for the current state of cinema, and there's a lot of incredible studio films getting made. I think Hollywoods overinflation of itself has created a bigger demand than ever for support of independant creative filmmaking. There were no IFC awards in the late 70's!

I would also like to close by saying I never played Metropolis in the bathtub. Maybe they just didn't brainwash me properly...
Anatomist
Posted on Saturday, May 18, 2002 - 5:33 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Did anyone see Conan O'Brien's dog insult puppet harassing Star Wars geeks last night? It was ruthless and brilliant - he had most of the geeks laughing at themselves. Some of the highlights:

****to a pregnant woman waiting in line:

"Is that a future Star Wars fan in there?"

"Yes"

"When is he due?"

"In .... weeks"

"Do you know that is the last time he will ever see female genitalia?"

****to a guy in a Darth Vader costume:

"So this is the apparatus that helps you breathe?"

"Yes."

"Which one is the button that calls your parents to come and pick you up?"

***to a young woman:

"Wow! Look guys, there's an actual woman here. Not bad. So, what do you think miss? It looks like you have a wide selection of guys here that have absolutely no idea how to please you..."

her response: *laughs* "Pretty much."

.... the O'Brien people must've realized it was one of their best gags ever, because it went on for about 10 minutes. I was nearly crying I was laughing so hard.

K.
Thegreenimp
Posted on Saturday, May 18, 2002 - 5:28 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

George Melie's films, piss all over George Lucas, Imagine seeing from The Earth to the Moon in it's day............I didn't see the last Star Wars film, and I doubt I'd see this one, personally I'd rather go watch The Affairs of Anatol again.
Silents Forever
Jay
Marccampbell
Posted on Saturday, May 18, 2002 - 5:24 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

anatomist,

I don't know how to paste stuff. Otherwise, I would have done it. I need all the help I can get battling the fanboys in NYTIMES film forums.
Your message would melt their light sabers.
Anatomist
Posted on Saturday, May 18, 2002 - 5:19 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Marc,

I don't have the gumption, but you're welcome to paste it there if you do.

K.
Marccampbell
Posted on Saturday, May 18, 2002 - 5:04 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

anatomist,

you should post that Star Wars comment in the New York Times Star Wars Forum. The geeks'll go wild.
Marccampbell
Posted on Saturday, May 18, 2002 - 4:58 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Even with millions and millions of dollars wasted on special effects, CLONES doesn't come close to the genuine magic of a 75 year old film like Fritz Lang's METROPOLIS or any of George Melies' no-budget silent films.
Marccampbell
Posted on Saturday, May 18, 2002 - 4:53 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

anatomist,

amen. Exactly what I was thinking. Star Wars is so calculated that it lacks any genuine spontaneity or joy, two ingredients that are vital to works of the imagination. Peter Jackson's THE LORD OF THE RINGS is a wonderful film because it enchants, it creates an alternative reality that has soul, warmth and dreaminess.Jackson has created a living and breathing fantasy. CLONES is so self-referential that it disappears up its own sterile asshole.
Anatomist
Posted on Saturday, May 18, 2002 - 4:35 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

"They're actually thank goodness nerdy people who are still in touch with the irrational wonder and amazement of childhood who don't need the opinions of stuffy old fart film critics to decide whether something is "good" or not."

Good speech, but you've got it ass-backwards. The current incarnations of STAR WARS have about as much to do with the irrational wonder and amazement of childhood as Disneyland does: that kind of talk is just well-crafted propaganda put out to push entertainment-machine pablum that is the absolute antithesis of real imagination, wonder, and amazement. What we're talking about here is a triumph of marketing and an unprecedented franchise for clearing out mass-produced crap, given a captive, uncritical audience of unprecedented proportions. Being full of wonder and amazement at the current STAR WARS product is about as special as being full of the same for a McDonalds Happy Meal or a package of Double Stuff Oreos. It's sad - a testament to the impovrishment of the human soul wrought by centralized corporate control of invasive and pervasive zombifying televisual media. When the meteor comes, I'll be dividing my time between daydreaming about having played with sticks and refridgerator boxes, and chanting "Suck it down" in celebration of an end to humanity as a terrestrial infection.

K.
Marccampbell
Posted on Saturday, May 18, 2002 - 4:14 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Love him or hate him, Lyne makes movies that people talk about. They may be trash, but they're provocative trash. UNFAITHFUL, though, is real art.

Robertsmith,

my "death of cinema" comment was hyperbolic to say the least. I just wanted get a rise out of those damn Star Wars freaks. I do think you can trace the diminishment of American cinema to the blockbuster mentality that came after the first Star Wars film. The first Star Wars appeared in a decade (the '70s) that featured some of the best maverick films to come out of Hollywood, films by directors like
Scorsese, Altman, Polanski, Coppola, Bogdanovich and Monty Hellman. After Star Wars, movies became more focused on big boxoffice, product tie-ins and marketing a brand name. This dealt a real blow to filmmakers who were taking artistic risks and making "personal films". Today it seems every film is trying to hit the boxoffice jackpot. After Blair Witch, even the indies got greedy.

Independent movie theaters in Quebec are refusing to screen the new Star Wars movie. They are protesting George Lucas' demand that they give him 70% of ticket sales and that they must run the movie for a minimum
of 8 weeks. Right now there are 350 screens in Quebec and none of them are showing CLONES.
Robertsmith
Posted on Saturday, May 18, 2002 - 3:29 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Oh, and HUMAN NATURE was viciously funny. Reminded me of Monty Python in many ways. It's nice to see a music video director who can actually direct a film. David Fincher is the only other one that comes to mind.

My favourite part of UNFAITHFUL was the smell of pheremones as I left the theater...
Seriously though, Adrian Lyne is very in control of this picture and I think he is a mastermind. I even liked his Lolita better than Kubricks. Is that sacrilige?
Robertsmith
Posted on Saturday, May 18, 2002 - 3:23 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I think its OK to like Godard and Star Wars. I would agree that Godards poop does taste very different than George Lucas's poop, (much better in many ways). It depends on my mood. Sometimes I appreciate the bad script/good rollercoaster style mindless effects pictures that Lucas makes, and sometimes I prefer much more mentally creative and less technically dazzling filmmaking of other directors. And Star Wars fans are not mindless sheep anymore than all Godard fans are elitist black turtleneck wearing decaf cappuccino with a twist of lemon drinking gaylords. They're actually thank goodness nerdy people who are still in touch with the irrational wonder and amazement of childhood who don't need the opinions of stuffy old fart film critics to decide whether something is "good" or not. Film is my life and it's also my job, but I don't take it so seriously that I ever even consider the possiblility that one filmmaker and his phenomenon could be the "Death of cinema".
Robertsmith
Posted on Saturday, May 18, 2002 - 3:10 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Anatomist
Posted on Saturday, May 18, 2002 - 2:12 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

SPANISH PRISONER was the most paranoid movie I've ever seen - although I still think HOMICIDE is Mamet's best. I'm crazy about Rebecca Pidgeon, Mamet's wife. Something about her manner makes me think she should be in a Hal Hartley film. She also sings some kind of Anglo-Folk that sounds like something medievalist nerds would listen to.

K.
Pikkle
Posted on Saturday, May 18, 2002 - 1:43 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH MARLA SINGER???????????????????????
Joalco
Posted on Saturday, May 18, 2002 - 1:31 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I really enjoyed Novocaine. It's good to see Steve Martin in a more dramatic role, as in he was in The Spanish Prisoner. Helena Bonham Carter is good, although her character is practically a carbon-copy of Marla Singer.

And Laura Dern.... Jesus, she's just *evil*.

Marc -

I'm looking forward to Minority Report as well, but that over-way-too-quickly Matrix trailer left me absolutely breathless. Morpheus with a samurai sword? Sweet....

I may try to catch About a Boy sometime this week. I also want to catch Frailty, if it's still showing anywhere around town.
Anatomist
Posted on Saturday, May 18, 2002 - 12:18 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Anyone checked out NOVOCAINE on dvd/video? It never came to any of the theatres where I was. It's kind of a dark, silly movie that takes so many fucked-up turns that I felt uncomfortable throughout. Plus, it has some really cool x-ray motion footage during the opening credits.

K.
Marccampbell
Posted on Saturday, May 18, 2002 - 12:06 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

joalco,

after watching ATTACK OF THE CLONES,
I told my wife
"the highlight of CLONES were the trailers for Matrix and Minority Report that preceded it."

Do go see ABOUT A BOY. I think you'll like it.
I never saw American Pie and don't plan to.
Joalco
Posted on Saturday, May 18, 2002 - 12:00 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I was surprised to hear such glowing praise from so many people regarding About a Boy. I'm not a fan of Hugh Grant, and this seems like a quantum leap for the directors, who last brought us American Pie... I may have to break down and check it out.

Just as an aside, the trailer for the two Matrix sequels is out... It's short but sweet, and (for some) the only redeemable thing about seeing Episode 2.
Marccampbell
Posted on Saturday, May 18, 2002 - 11:47 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

UNFAITHFUL.

This is a surprisingly effective examination of the destructive power of infidelity. It is intelligent and well-crafted film making. And it contains one of the most stunning performances I've ever seen. Diane Lane is a revelation. Its thrilling to watch an actor be this good on screen. Lane gives a heartfelt, nuanced and beautifully erotic portrayal of a woman torn between sexuality and morality, between what she wants and what she thinks is right. She's a shoo-in for an Oscar nomination.

Mainstream films are rarely this smart and uncompromising. The end of UNFAITHFUL is a mindfucker.
Marccampbell
Posted on Saturday, May 18, 2002 - 11:08 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

ABOUT A BOY.

This hilarious and tender film is a perfect antidote to the gaseous bloat of Attack Of The Clones. If you're a fan of the films of Wes Anderson (Rushmore, The Royal Tenenbaums) then you will probably enjoy the hip and charming ABOUT A BOY. Its based on a novel by Nick Hornby
(High Fidelity) and stars Hugh Grant and Toni Collette. I know that there are alot of folks who
don't dig Grant, but believe me, he's totally winning and funny in this movie. The guy is a very fine comedic actor. And Collette, as a "daft fucking hippie", turns in a heartbreaking performance.

Go see this one.

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page