Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Moonman's #7b

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum Archive thru June 2002 » Archive Thru May 2002 » Moonman's #7b « Previous Next »

Artemis
Posted on Wednesday, May 22, 2002 - 8:01 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

> Hausgemachting is no competition
> so there is NO champion. Period.

I was taking off on "Celebrity Death Match".

I'm happy to see I'm not the only one here to have jokes go whizzing over his head.
Aion
Posted on Wednesday, May 22, 2002 - 6:29 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

There is a German proverb that describes
it perfectly:
It is like a wolf in a sheep´s clothing.
Whoaaaaa!!
A.
Wolfgang
Posted on Wednesday, May 22, 2002 - 5:54 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

''the best products are not heavy on anise; to hell with what people are *used to*. ''

Ok, I confess, *I* like anis very much as long as it doesn't completely overthrow the other tastes. What I call strongly anised is still less than most spanish.

Aion : The beast is there but tamed. Amazing is it not ? Hou Haa! ;-) *whip* *whip*

Unfortunately I don't have any more left, I drank what was left with two friends before heading to some night club about two weeks ago. That's the ephemeral beauty of hausgemachte.
Aion
Posted on Wednesday, May 22, 2002 - 3:41 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hausgemachting is no competition
so there is NO champion. Period.

Received the Moonman´s #7b yesterday,
after some discussions with the
Austrian customs.

There is not much left to add to Zman7´s review.
This absinthe is remarkably clean.
The maker informed me of the amount of
wormwood he used for this absinthe, so
I expected a rough beast, but it was sweet
(in a positive way), tons of herbal and flowery
impressions (like a walk across an alpine
meadow in the springtime), there was no
bitterness. Green anise was NOT overpronounced,
if star anise was used then only a very small
amount. I assume that the "blend of arthemisias"
scent/taste also includes a bit of tansy.
Absinthe as it should be.
Thanks to the Moonman!
Artemis
Posted on Monday, May 20, 2002 - 1:21 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

But to be sure I'm not misunderstood, what I had in mind is we'd get together, pop some popcorn and mix up a big batch of Koolaid, and watch "Old Yeller" on DVD. And then, after discussing its social significance, we could go down to the American Legion for a few Pabst Blue Ribbons and volunteer to give the wheelchair vets sponge baths. And just to indulge our dark side before calling it a night, get sushi and not pay.
Artemis
Posted on Monday, May 20, 2002 - 12:32 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Merci, Vera, but that was old Uncle Al C.

I wonder if some of his molecules wound up in me, though.
Verawench
Posted on Monday, May 20, 2002 - 10:42 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

"Vera, get on up to the Great Lakes area and Head and I will put the qui-ee-tus on that self loathing for you."

Artemis, you are THE original Sexy Beast...
Artemis
Posted on Monday, May 20, 2002 - 10:28 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

> It will be difficult to compare because Moonman
> and the European champion follow very different
> paths

I wasn't entirely serious. I'm not good at picking out what herbs are in a bottle; very few people are (Kallisti is a notable exception, and I attribute that in no small measure to her experience in perfume making) - you really do have to be TRAINED in these things, which is why I found that Organoleptic website so intriguing. However, evaluating whether a producer is deficient in his technique is another matter, and much easier to do. But again, I wasn't serious, just playing with words as I like to do. Flutter the flutter, churn the butter.

IMO, the best products are not heavy on anise; to hell with what people are *used to*. If I were preparing something for a gathering (not that I would do anything like that), I would go out of my way to present them with something they *aren't* used to. Which is precisely why our European brother is so interesting - he broke the mold long ago and never looked back.

> My sense is that these samples are, for the
> most part, received with a sense of
> responsibility.

Which is why Head P. and I felt so guilty after that night of debauchery (snicker). What really happened is that I took extensive notes on tiny amounts of all those samples before the guzzling started. Now, I might have been a little lazy about getting feedback to people.

> You have to give something to the sender that
> can prove enlightening to him/her.

Sometimes it's tit for tat. A scrap of info, a pointer to a source, an introduction, a comment on technique, a tattered remnant of old Uncle Pernod's scrotum to use as a bookmark ....

Vera, get on up to the Great Lakes area and Head and I will put the qui-ee-tus on that self loathing for you.

Pikkle, if you come over, you better bring some bottles, cause I ain't kidding when I say I stay pretty dry ....
Chevalier
Posted on Monday, May 20, 2002 - 10:01 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Please feel more than free to drop my name into your "random pick" hat. I can almost guarantee you that I'd be the first person in Chile ever to try hausgemacht. (I may well be the only person in Chile who drinks absinthe of any kind!)
Wolfgang
Posted on Monday, May 20, 2002 - 9:57 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

"You have to give something to the sender that can prove enlightening to him/her."

Usually it's just samples exchanges. Sometimes it's just to get opinion from a connoisseur. Rarely but sometimes it's also just an almost random pick amongst old timers forumits.
Wolfgang
Posted on Monday, May 20, 2002 - 9:50 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

"Moonman up against an European champion"

It will be difficult to compare because Moonman and the European champion follow very different paths (especially if you got the #17 or 19). You will have two very different styles of absinthes in front of you and it will be a matter of personal taste.

The sample #8 you will get have been designed for the GT, having in mind that most people there will be use to strongly anissed absinthes. The European champion use very little anis and a strange home made alcohol base.

Unfortunately Moonman was unable to send a sample of #8 to this champion (he sent #7 (wich was an interesting but unperfect draft for #8) some weeks ago but it's not there yet).

I personally have just enough #8 left to make myself one last generous glass. I'll wait until I read the reviews from the lucky tasters before drinking it and it will be the last glass of it until the GT.
Pikkle
Posted on Monday, May 20, 2002 - 8:54 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

having consumed way too much commercial absinthe and a fair amount of the various la bleues, I'd like to try my hand at reviewing a few of these hausgemachts... yes, i can at times be objective, when I'm not pissing myself slurring drunk that is...
Chevalier
Posted on Monday, May 20, 2002 - 8:47 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Man, I'd love to receive samples. But if I were a hausgemachter who wanted feedback from experienced, hausgemachted palates, I wouldn't send Chevalier a single drop. He'd just drink the stuff, smile, and not know what to say about it.

My sense is that these samples are, for the most part, received with a sense of responsibility. You have to give something to the sender that can prove enlightening to him/her. Can't speak for you, Pikkle, but I myself don't know what I'd be able to provide a hausgemachter with.
Louched_Liver
Posted on Monday, May 20, 2002 - 8:44 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Artemis sez:
"We'll see whose fairy walks the walk."
Wouldn't that be flutters the flutter?
Verawench
Posted on Monday, May 20, 2002 - 8:25 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Sigh, with a dash of self-loathing...
Pikkle
Posted on Monday, May 20, 2002 - 8:23 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

well I'll be right over then...
Artemis
Posted on Monday, May 20, 2002 - 8:21 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Well, I've done that before; I would do it for you, Pikkle, except that the samples in this case are pretty small - it's not huge quantities of this stuff that changes hands; usually you get enough for two drinks. And in the case of the European stuff (I'm still waiting on the Moonman), some of it is already gone, I guzzled half of it as soon as it came out of the package. When you don't keep any absinthe around, which I don't, sometimes the only time you get to drink it is when samples arrive. At such times, it's a tug of war (green angel on one shoulder, green devil on the other) to taste it carefully and take notes so you can offer feedback to the Gemachter (which is why they send it) or to just take Tom Cruise's advice (sometimes you just gotta say what the fuck) and guzzle the stuff for pure pleasure (as the two old lady bootleggers told Sheriff Andy Griffith they couldn't believe the good citizens of Mayberry were doing, as he and Barney busted up their still in one episode).

Recently Head P. and I said what the fuck and from dusk till dawn we chopped our way through a jungle of many hausgemachts and even some vintage, leaving not even a bread crumb to find our way home. The next morning it was all we could do to stare out the window stupidly, our souls tethered to our bodies by the flimsiest of threads, much less be objective about anything. We seemed to sort of agree it was all pretty good, though.

The moral of the story is science can only take you so far, but decadence is like a bus you have to catch. Or something.
Pikkle
Posted on Monday, May 20, 2002 - 6:42 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I believe you will need a second opinion on that matter... perhaps you should send those samples along this way...
Artemis
Posted on Monday, May 20, 2002 - 4:07 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I'm going to put a sample of Moonman up against a European champion in a celebrity death match in a few days. We'll see whose fairy walks the walk.
Pikkle
Posted on Sunday, May 19, 2002 - 9:18 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

teasing bastards, the lot of them!!!!!!!!
Nascentvirion
Posted on Sunday, May 19, 2002 - 6:22 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Wow !! Thats beautiful Where is this masked Moonman an how can I obtain a sample ?
Wolfgang
Posted on Sunday, May 19, 2002 - 11:01 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

My moonman friend told me it was just a complex experiment to test how much specialy processed wormwood could be packed in a recipe without wasting the balance. I of course have tasted this same brew (down to the last drop) and I found it a little bit too strong on anis and wormwood but it`s true that the aroma was wonderful and powerful. This recipe also included for the first time (amongst many other aromat) some fir needles keeped from a previous christmas tree ;-).
Zman7
Posted on Sunday, May 19, 2002 - 10:30 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I must once again thank the mysterious Moonman. He has graciously provided me a generous sample of his #7b elixir. The photograph doesn't do it justice.
The color is peridot with hints of olive. The smell is just incredible. Neat it has a remarkable flowery and candy-like aroma. I smell hyssop and artemisia in a wonderful balance.
Tasted neat the flower/candy aroma is now transfered to my palate. No hints of tails. Pleasant.
Watered 5:1, fantastic louche. The aromas continue to blend and fill the room.
Tasted louched, I detect anise, hyssop, and a blend of artemisias (pontica,absinthium). The alcoholic tones are warm and pleasant. It leaves a pleasant and lingering warm sensation on the palate.
It was a wonderful hausgemachte.
Lordhobgoblin
Posted on Sunday, May 19, 2002 - 10:23 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Nice louche!

Hobgoblin
Zman7
Posted on Sunday, May 19, 2002 - 10:20 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

A sneek peek at Moonman's #7b elixir, neat and unlouched.
Zman7
Posted on Sunday, May 19, 2002 - 10:15 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Pana0075

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page