Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Vienna: Lusthaus

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum Archive thru June 2002 » Archive Thru May 2002 » Vienna: Lusthaus « Previous Next »

Pablo
Posted on Monday, May 27, 2002 - 6:15 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

My most vivid memory of Vienna is walking back from a bar with some friends through what was known as the "jewish district". I guess it was formerly a ghetto but now its a trendy little area. Now its a trendy little area.
I was enjoying the sights, just me and my 3 friends on a dark street, and who comes around the corner?
A cop. Walking a german shepard and carrying a steyr machine gun. (I immediately had flashbacks to the scene in Top Secret where the man on the train gets shot because the dogs discover his package of dog biscuits)
Wolfgang
Posted on Tuesday, May 21, 2002 - 5:18 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

One of my friend is in Czeck republic right now and she also visited Vienna recently...*sigh*

(but this time I asked her NOT to bring back any "absinth").
Tortainglese
Posted on Monday, May 20, 2002 - 12:01 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Vera: If you cant see it live, it may exist in video format from the original 1986 production. If you have a performing arts library near you, such as Lincon center, you may find it there.

It is a real "mood piece". I was still thinking about it as I fell asleep last night.
Verawench
Posted on Sunday, May 19, 2002 - 9:10 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Sounds right up my ally... the Vienna Secession was art's final, glorious gasp for breath. Thanks for the tip.
Tortainglese
Posted on Sunday, May 19, 2002 - 9:08 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Tonight I saw a very interesting dance /theatre work by Martha Clarke called "Vienna:Lusthaus". Clarke is a very unique, intelligent choreographer turned opera director. The program notes read as follows:

Vienna: Lusthaus, like a dream, explores the unconscious world of Vienna at the beginning of the 20th century-in music and movement and text-fragments of a lost, shattered world, taken from the paintings of Egon Schiele and Gustav klimt, from the casebooks of Sigmund Freud, from the dreams of his patients...the unconscoius world from which our tormented, waking world springs eternally.

From what I have read on the forum, I think it would appeal to many of you. There is a lot of nudity, but I cant imagine any of you are bothered by that. If you live in/around NYC check it out at the New York Theatre Workshop.

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page