Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Archive through May 20, 2002

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum Archive thru June 2002 » Archive Thru May 2002 » May's silliest absinthe auctions » Archive through May 20, 2002 « Previous Next »

Chevalier
Posted on Monday, May 20, 2002 - 9:54 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Said it before, say it again ... why is it that nearly all absinthe spoon designs were so plain, when compared to, say, OLIVE spoons? Were olives so much more worthy than absinthe?

Granted, olive spoons, bonbon spoons and tuna servers were usually part of dinner services, and these were typically more ornate than bistroware. But still ... you'd think that absinthe spoon makers could have come up with more designs to compete with the olive spoon below:

my picture
Robertsmith
Posted on Monday, May 20, 2002 - 9:18 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

And I'm eagerly awaiting Emile. Get that high priced LB monkey off my back!
Robertsmith
Posted on Monday, May 20, 2002 - 9:15 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I dig what you're saying Lars, and I've heard what Don said before. She was stupid to agree to pay $80 per bottle, and we're fucked because of it. So since Don is the expert here, why doesn't he open up shop and put Betty out of business? Or why doesn't somebody tell the Swiss farmers they could triple their profits and their output if they sold directly to the US instead of doling out limited quantities to Betty? We'd all be happier, wealthier, and our lives would all be about 20 years shorter from over consumption of LB!
Chevalier
Posted on Monday, May 20, 2002 - 9:13 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

My great-great grandparents emigrated from Switzerland to Illinois in 1853. My dad did some research, managed to trace the descendants of my great-great uncle (who stayed behind in Moutier) and we visited them in 1985. We've stayed in contact sporadically, although I've not been to Switzerland since. One of the younger relatives is pretty adventurous, an amateur hot-air balloonist. He's a chemist by trade, so there's a chance he'd know distillers ...
Larsbogart
Posted on Monday, May 20, 2002 - 9:11 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Done.
For what its worth, (on edit) dont be so sure all Betty's Le Bleus came from Switzerland. How stupid are you.
Larsbogart
Posted on Monday, May 20, 2002 - 9:09 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Why dont you order Emille first? I predict better than Betty's LeBleu's and a 120$ savings.
Pikkle
Posted on Monday, May 20, 2002 - 9:07 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Yes Chevalier, please do, Mr. Walsh in all his vagueness never did reveal his so called "sources." La bleue cannot be found in the retail market from my understanding and unless you know someone, you cannot walk into any cantina and order some up. I would be more than willing to go in with someone on a quantity if and when someone can procure a manufacturer of decent quality, sample would of course be required... I wait with baited breath...
Pikkle
Posted on Monday, May 20, 2002 - 9:04 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

And on that note, I'm going golfing... I'll be looking for something on my plate when I return...
And Lars, please use the appropriate quotation marks when paraphrasing Mr. Walsh, I don't want to believe that fart smell is coming from you...
Chevalier
Posted on Monday, May 20, 2002 - 9:04 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Honestly, I'm glad that Don has been able to get these bottles for $30. But I'd be gladder if you and I could do the same. What's the secret? Don himself has mentioned that he has Swiss friends. Perhaps we should find some Swiss chatrooms and be amicable.

I have relatives in Moutier, a valley town in the Jura. Half the people there have the surname "Chevalier", and I'm sure that someone must know someone who makes la bleue. I've never bothered to ask, but maybe now is the time. Want to go into business with me? (Bring money!)
Pikkle
Posted on Monday, May 20, 2002 - 9:00 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Gee, don't we all wish we had Don's connections too... like I've stated before and I'll state again, tell me where or with whom I am able to obtain such a thing for such a price and I'll be more than happy to eat humble pie. To this day I've yet to break out my fork...
Pikkle
Posted on Monday, May 20, 2002 - 8:58 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Robert... you'd have to purchase in quanitity and figure out a way to get it here discretely which is no easy task... sure a half dozen bottles here, a half dozen there but then all of a sudden someone notices all these packages going to this one address from somewhere in Switzerland... it wouldn't be a matter so much of shipping a banned substance as it would paying the tariffs on goods being shipped here. That's probably the biggest concern about any reseller here in the States. If you've read some earlier posts about people who actually have had their packages inspected by customs or the USDA, you'll know that these were looked at and sent on by. The government has very little concern about people shipping a few bottles of this or that in for personal consumption. Now if it's for resale, then they're losing all kinds of money... which is what the government is most concerned with, making money.
Larsbogart
Posted on Monday, May 20, 2002 - 8:57 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

"The fact remains: LB IS $30. I have never paid more than 50 FrCh for a liter and I have never gotten a bad bottle."
Larsbogart
Posted on Monday, May 20, 2002 - 8:56 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Don Walsh from the archives:
[Don Walsh Speaking]
"Good work guys. Betty deserves all the opprobrium you can muster and more, for all the reasons you have cited, and more.

If we go back to first causes, I have Absintheur's word -- and he introduced these two -- that Betty cleverly queered the LB market first thing off, by stupidly agreeing to pay $80 per bottle for a $30 per bottle LB, with the very first LB maker he introduced her to. Silly Betty. RETAIL in Switzerland is $30, she would be buying in bulk and ought to be paying less not more.

That's not only bad business for her but for anyone else who followed her, and will follow her, and merely convinced the Swiss bootleggers that there is a pot of gold in USA to be made.

For this alone she should burn in the 9th cirtcle of commercial Hell.

The fact remains: LB IS $30. I have never paid more than 50 FrCh for a liter and I have never gotten a bad bottle."
Robertsmith
Posted on Monday, May 20, 2002 - 8:49 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Lars,
Where have you got the "non-watery" LaBleu from? Is there any easy way? Sometimes her LB does taste a bit thin, but I'm not sure why, cause obviously there's not extra water added because other wise the bottle would louche when it got moved around. I agree with Don that if you can just go to the farmer and get it for $30, then Betty does suck ass. But I'd also have to pay $500 for a plane ticket to switzerland! So I ain't got much of a choice. I have also managed to talk her down in price, but that's because i'm a repeat customer. I think the biggest mistake that Betty is making is that if she were to sell it say for $100 a bottle, she'd probably sell double what she currently does, and still make an absurd profit.
Pikkle
Posted on Monday, May 20, 2002 - 8:47 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

And like I said a long time ago, if someone has a hook-up for la bleue for 30 bucks a bottle, why aren't they sharing this information? Because they are either full of shit or they don't want to give up the ship... in any case, they're not being very saintly while still spewing forth their gospel... so basically put up, or shut up, we'd all love high quality el cheapo la bleue and if you're not here to help, you're not here.
Larsbogart
Posted on Monday, May 20, 2002 - 8:42 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

"so we really have no option but to pay her high prices for LaBleu"
Speak for yourself.
Pikkle
Posted on Monday, May 20, 2002 - 8:41 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Look, to each their own, I never bought into the scare tactics because I had been ordering from SC and never had a problem... besides, if the ATF, or EPA or whom ever came bashing down my door to confiscate my three liters of absinthe, they'd have to carry me off because I'd be laughing to fucking hard at the absurdity of it all. Besides, a few years ago, things were just getting rolling as far as people really starting to order absinthe from abroad so no one really knew what was going on. Hell, if I had a line on the stuff, I might have pitched the same thing.
Bottom line is that now there is enough information on this website, let alone this forum (when people aren't newbie bashing) so that people don't have to be afraid to order from whomever outside the confines of this country. If someone really has a yen to try Betty's offerings, I say go for it. It comes at a price of course and something similar could be had elsewhere for much less but like I said, to each their own. There are some paranoid people out there and maybe, just maybe, Betty fulfills a certain reassurance they're not going to get anywhere else. Do I agree with these sorts of scare tactics, especially in this day and age? No. In fact I'll do my best to dissuade people from making irrational decisions based on that kind of misinformation. But I'm not going to attack the person in the process either. Think as you like, at a time, Betty was praised around here because she was for all intents and purposes the only show in town. Yeah, she more or less paved the way for a lot of people around here whether you like it or not.
That's all I got to say, I'm neither yea or nay, it's up to the individual, we just don't need to keep beating a dead horse.
Robertsmith
Posted on Monday, May 20, 2002 - 8:39 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I'm with you Pikkle. There's 2 reasons why I still order LaBleu from Betty. It's still my favourite contemporary absinthe, and I have no choice. No one else who has LaBleu is as reliable as Betty and as far as I'm concerned, Wolvie is not only unreliable, but a thief. If you pay for Absinthe and he doesn't deliver or refund your money, that's stealing. The guys on the veuve-bleu site offer no shipping guarantee, and I don't know anyone who's ordered from them successfully, and I think their absinthe is only $20 cheaper than what I get Betty's for in single bottle quantities. I'd rather pay $20 extra and get my absinthe within 2 weeks of my order than wait for months hoping some Swiss guys who don't know a drop of English will finally get my email asking where my shit is translated. I wish I had a choice and that I could just get LaBleu for the $30 a bottle she pays for it, but I can't and apparently no one else can either that's reliable, so we really have no option but to pay her high prices for LaBleu. Hopefully I'll like Emile better than her LaBleu, and then I won't have anything to complain about and I'll have $100 extra each month, but until then, we're shit out of luck.
Chevalier
Posted on Monday, May 20, 2002 - 8:32 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Pikkle, I suppose I feel the same way -- about her TL absinthe spoon repros, that is. Getting one like it by any other means (i.e., one of the twelve or so existing originals) would be be extremely difficult and about as expensive as flying to Switzerland and hooking up with a Jura moonshine farmer. And her spoons are well made, no doubt about it.

Everyone has a right to grumble about her bottle prices. The consensus seems to be that she's better than nothing at all, but her prices are worse than what they could be. In any case, the best way to protest is to not buy from her. Money talks.
Larsbogart
Posted on Monday, May 20, 2002 - 8:29 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Well thats why you are free to still order from her.
I agree with what Don Walsh said about her, how hed never pay a farmer more that 30$ for a leBleu.
I had all of Bettys leBleu's. I didnt think any of them were any good. They were watery. [hint]
Pikkle, if she had so much goin on, whats up with her scare tactics?
Etienne
Posted on Monday, May 20, 2002 - 8:27 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Well put, Pikkle. The endless Betty bashing gets old. You don't like her prices, don't buy from her.
Pikkle
Posted on Monday, May 20, 2002 - 8:19 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

No offence ya'all but for a time, for a few people on this forum, Betty was about the only way to get La Bleue... sure, call it gouging or whatever you like, but if it weren't for Betty, at that time, I'd have probably given up on absinthe all together... the offerings were pretty slim for a while. Yeah, Spirits Corner had Deva and Mari Mayans and Serpis... it also had piss water Montana and Herring as well. You can only go so far with any drink that tastes almost a hundred percent anise (or lemon pledge) and if that was it for absinthe, for me, that was it for absinthe.
Okay, there's Betty. Semi-mysterious and grossly over-priced. But you want something better than Deva, something more than anise and grass clippings. Is Betty way overpriced? Hell yeah, you betcha. Can I just walk down to "Liquor's Quicker" and pick me up a bottle of La Bleue? Hmm...
So I scrape together what seems like an ungodly sum of money for something I'd normally consume in two good evenings of chicanery. But would I get it otherwise? Did I know any Swiss farmers hanging out down at the bar? No. And I did what many people here seem to believe is the unthinkable, I bought from Betty.
Yes, it was a lot of money. It still is a lot of money and if today there was still only Deva and Serpiss or any of the Czech abberations and I was about to throw in my green fairie towel, you know what? I'd buy Betty's La Bleue again. I don't have time to hunt down Swiss expats who's uncle owns a farm in the De Jura's. I don't have a still in my basement. I do have some cash once in a while for frivilous purposes which is this case didn't turn out to be so frivilous because I am still drinking absinthe to this day. When I found out there was something other than compost anise juice, that there was a possibility of imbibing the equivilent of a meadow in a bottle with the appropriate effects to follow, it kept me in the game.
Yes, many people do not like Betty, many people will never order from Betty. Why would they when they can get just about everything she offers for less than half price? Now that is... a few years ago, it was a different story and I'm sure a few of you can agree out there, even though it was a bitter pill to swallow at the time, Betty saved more than a one of us from saying goodbye to the green fairie. My 2 pesos.
Larsbogart
Posted on Monday, May 20, 2002 - 8:06 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Im counting on a chapter devoted just to me in her memoirs...Confessions of an Absinthe smuggler.
Chevalier
Posted on Monday, May 20, 2002 - 7:56 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

And I'm sure she just lo-o-o-ves you too! :-)
Larsbogart
Posted on Monday, May 20, 2002 - 7:54 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Im making a multiple order this week from him.
Cant wait...
Speaking of Betty, that glass absinthe demon, a remarkable likeness...

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page