Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Archive through May 21, 2002

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum Archive thru June 2002 » Archive Thru May 2002 » Carbon: a Red Bull clone, with absinthe » Archive through May 21, 2002 « Previous Next »

Meat_Nipples
Posted on Tuesday, May 21, 2002 - 12:29 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Aspartame gives me horrible headaches as well. If I drink even half a diet coke or diet lemonade, I get a monstrous migraine. My mother is the same way.

When nutra-sweet first became popular my mom was drinking nothing but diet beverages throughout the day. She started getting really fatigued, and figured it was due to her increased dieting and exercise. After a couple months of this routine, she began getting dizzy, having numb sensations and experienced some other neurological problems that most likely had my dad fearing she was going schizo.

She went to the hospital and had an ekg done. She was having abnormal, seizure-like brain waves. The doctors wanted to put her on seizure medication but she refused. She had a hard time with her health insurance because of this.

Anyway, she stopped drinking aspartame but continued to diet and exercise. Her problems completely went away. She has since had ekg's done and everything is normal again. My mom swears that it was the nutra-sweet, and she won’t eat or drink anything that contains it. Neither will I, the stuff just feels nasty to me.
2loucheltrec
Posted on Tuesday, May 21, 2002 - 11:44 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

carbs are processed into a simple sugar easily used by the body for energy, if it's not used immediately it will be put into storage for future use (this is the part where you get fat). on the soda issue you basically have two options , you can take what ever "health risk" that is being attributed to aspertame or risk burning out your pancreas (sp?) (read: become a diabetic), sounds like fun.
_Blackjack
Posted on Tuesday, May 21, 2002 - 11:41 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Aspartame can indeed break down into methanol when metabolized. However the quantities are so minute as to be insignificant, even if the drinks are stored at high temperature. If your stepmom would be so kind as to provide me with a citation for the study in question, I'll take a look at it. However, the simple correlation of the sysmptoms and the use of diet coke proves nothing. They would have to prove that people who drank diet coke had a significantly higher incidence of neuropathy than the baseline population. Epidemiology can seem a tad counter-intuitive, I know.
Anatomist
Posted on Tuesday, May 21, 2002 - 8:45 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Rsmith:

I drink about 1.5 to 3 diet cokes per day. If that study is real, and was well done, I may reconsider. However, I can't just take your word for it - right now all I've got is the end of a chain of heresay. Please provide a reference to the actual study so I can go look it up.

Also, the point of a diet soda is not to lose weight. The point is to have a tasty drink without calories. Contrary to what you say, 3 sodas worth of sugar (actually corn syrup) per day can most definitely contribute to weight gain by spiking insulin levels and adding almost 500 unnecessary calories to the day's total, not to mention making a rollercoaster mess of your energy levels throughout the day. I find corn syrupy drinks (including many "fruit juice" drinks) sickly and disgusting, and they put me to sleep due to their blood sugar/insulin effect.

Oh, and sugar IS a carbohydrate. Carbohydrates mixed with sugars is not the problem, unless the problem is redundancy. Most generally, weight problems are the result of too much food and not enough exercise. In terms of specific foods, processed carbs like sugar and fluffy things made of flour are among the most fattening.

K.
Robertsmith
Posted on Tuesday, May 21, 2002 - 8:29 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Besides would any of us put aspartame in our absinthe to try and lose weight?
Robertsmith
Posted on Tuesday, May 21, 2002 - 8:24 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

blackjack,
my stepmoms a nurse who was part of one of the studies. When aspartame gets close to the human bodies temperature of 98.6 degrees, it breaks down into its chemical components, one of which has a similar structure to formaldehyde (not sure which chemical though). The study involved 600 people who were suffereing from "chronic fatigue syndrome". and who complained of numbness in parts of their body and had slow reflexes and were constantly tired. The only thing they all had in common was that they all drank at least 3 diet cokes a day (which is loaded with aspartame). Upon doing neurological examinations of all of the subjects they consistently found that their nerves had scarring similar to those patients that suffer from multiple sclerosis, although the scarring was obviously not as severe. Some of these people had permanent numb spots in either fingers or legs and they were continuously tired....
Anyway, the point is all these people consumed quite a bit of aspartame and it was obviously having adverse effects. I can't stand the stuff myself. I get a severe headache anytime I have anything with aspartame in it, even chewing gum. I just think the notion of a sugar substitute is rediculous because real sugar really doesn't contribute that much to weight problems unless you consume a tremendous amount. It's carbohydrates when mixed with sugars that are the problem.
Joalco
Posted on Tuesday, May 21, 2002 - 7:15 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I was under the impression that the tagline was going to be "It's Louche-rrific", and the ads would feature a smiling, animated, hip-hop style Van Gogh, rappin' about the effects of tha funky-cold Ab to tha sinthe.

Yo, boyz, you been 'sinthed yet? You gotta try this, it's DOPE!
Pikkle
Posted on Monday, May 20, 2002 - 11:55 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

It's gonna be "just like Grandpa used to make..." and it's gonna be "more louchier!"
Marccampbell
Posted on Monday, May 20, 2002 - 11:48 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Red Bull is used in tandem with exstasy to extend the roll. Its all about drugs.
Mr_Carfax
Posted on Monday, May 20, 2002 - 11:31 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Regardless as to whether they use "reputed" or not- if the overall presentation of a product would lead a consumer to believe that certain benefits are forthcoming from a product, and it clearly does not deliver/incapable of delivering the promise, it can be interpreted in some countries as a trade practices issue.

From a herbal medicines point of view, I'm not sure that I have ever encountered a pharmacopoeial reference or reputable herbal tradition reference that states a.absinthium is an aphrodisiac.
Traineraz
Posted on Monday, May 20, 2002 - 11:03 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

"Jade, coming soon?" I'd believe that if Jade were a go-go boy who was grunting a lot, but if we're talking about the delightful beverage . . .

and PLEASE tell me that Jade isn't going to be "cheesier" and "just like grandma used to make!"
Pikkle
Posted on Monday, May 20, 2002 - 9:24 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I'm your density...
Destiny
Posted on Monday, May 20, 2002 - 9:08 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

"reputed"

These people choose their words very carefully.

"You'll love the new 'fun' taste..."
"Just like grandma used to make..."
"It's cheesier..."
"Jade, coming soon..."
Mr_Carfax
Posted on Monday, May 20, 2002 - 7:34 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

"As long as no one dies from drinking the stuff, I hope it stays on the market. Anything that can promote absinthe in a good way may help our cause in the long run."

The problem is that it won't promote absinthe in a good way- people will undoubtably do a Red Bull and abuse them, mix them with vodka etc etc

I find the gall of the Western manufacturers of Red Bull and their ilk to insist "it is just a soft drink" laughable, when the history and culture of Red Bull in asian countries, where it originates, is that of a health tonic, and practically medicinal.

We have had to develop a specific caffeinated beverages standard in Australia just to stop the cowboys making over the top claims.

As for their claims "Artemisia Absinthium (Absinthe) is an herb reputed to enhance creativity, stimulate the mind, and to have an aphrodisiac effect." - frankly this is fraudulent labelling.

I would love nothing more than these jokers to get taken to court on a trade practices charge because some schmo can't get a woody (or inspired?), no matter how much he drinks.

You want to put it on a label- prove it.
_Blackjack
Posted on Monday, May 20, 2002 - 7:11 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hey, have you ever tried to unreporduc something? It's prety hard...
Destiny
Posted on Monday, May 20, 2002 - 4:47 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

>> unreporducible?

Blackjack, how long have you been on the aspartame?
_Blackjack
Posted on Monday, May 20, 2002 - 4:26 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Quote:

Prolonged use causes severe nerve damage (it's been proven in several studies), but its profitable, so who cares, right?

Which studies? I ask, because the vast bulk of research on the effects of aspartame (and not just the stuff funded by the manufacturer) seems to indicate that it is innocuous. The occasional anecdotal reports of adverse effects have largely proved unreporducible.

The only study I'm aware of in which there were major adverse affects was a small study of its effects on depressed patients, and, as it turned out, one of the two significant adverse effects was a placebo control.
Zman7
Posted on Monday, May 20, 2002 - 4:16 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

hemp drink
Zman7
Posted on Monday, May 20, 2002 - 3:51 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

It is probably a hausgemachter's experiment gone bad.
Raschied
Posted on Monday, May 20, 2002 - 3:25 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

If anyone wants a can, I'll pick one up for ya. Just send me a check for $1.99, plus $47.50 for shipping and handling. People outside the state of California add another $20.00 for the hell of it.

J
Albertcamus
Posted on Monday, May 20, 2002 - 3:23 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

hmm,i will keep an eye out for that.thats probably the same deal with vermuth.
Larsbogart
Posted on Monday, May 20, 2002 - 3:14 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

"Stroke in a can."
Would you mind if I sample that?"
Robertsmith
Posted on Monday, May 20, 2002 - 2:02 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Stroke in a can. Nobody will die immediately from RedBull either, but wait 20 years and look at all these fervent redbull drinkers who have strokes because they distended their arteries back when they were young drinking bull testicle juice. Same thing with nutrasweet. Prolonged use causes severe nerve damage (it's been proven in several studies), but its profitable, so who cares, right? I can't wait to see all the wonderful art all the gullible monkeys who buy this junk create! Before they were playing with their own feces, but after magic absinthe artist drink, they'll be whipping out a van gogh in record speed! (More like whipping out their pecker to stick in the first thing that moves...)
Raschied
Posted on Monday, May 20, 2002 - 1:16 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

carbon
Raschied
Posted on Monday, May 20, 2002 - 1:12 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I found a can of this stuff in my local Raley's supermarket, and gave it a try. I'll post a picture of the can.

It's not much different from Red Bull, to be honest. The ingredient list (on the Americanized label) shows carbonated water, glucose syrup, citric acid, caramel color, flavorings, ascorbic acid (vitamin C,) caffeine, potassium sorbate, natural extract of absinthe.

The text on the can reads, "Artemisia Absinthium (Absinthe) is an herb reputed to enhance creativity, stimulate the mind, and to have an aphrodisiac effect."

The stuff looks and tastes vile - very similar to Red Bull: sickly sweet with that metal caffeine taste. I couldn't detect anything resembling absinthe in the flavor. It did have a different effect than Red Bull normally gives. Red Bull makes me so hyper that I'm useless. This stuff was much more subdued. Was it the absinthe? Probably not. Would I buy it again? Probably not, but then I'm not one for these energy drinks anyway.

As long as no one dies from drinking the stuff, I hope it stays on the market. Anything that can promote absinthe in a good way may help our cause in the long run.

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page