Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Archive through May 22, 2002

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum Archive thru June 2002 » Archive Thru May 2002 » NYC gathering: Here's your chance to get a bottle of vintage absinthe » Archive through May 22, 2002 « Previous Next »

Chevalier
Posted on Wednesday, May 22, 2002 - 9:28 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Voila the photo in Delahaye's book. Too bad ...
Chrysippvs
Posted on Wednesday, May 22, 2002 - 9:26 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

whoops...

duval

- J
Chevalier
Posted on Wednesday, May 22, 2002 - 9:23 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

And yes, the antique photo shown on the auction page has been doctored! The undoctored photo shows that bottle with an OXYGENÉE label. The seller has altered it to look like a DUBIED FILS label.
Robertsmith
Posted on Wednesday, May 22, 2002 - 9:21 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Actually it's $8.50 for one.
http://www.black-phoenix.net/absc17.html
Chevalier
Posted on Wednesday, May 22, 2002 - 9:21 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Guys, Chrysippvs is right.

Look at the strip of label covering the bottle's cork. It says "Cusenier". Someone is pulling our leg. I've just found out the Cusenier and Dubied (Duval) were not associated.

It's most likely that the seller (or the seller to the seller) has taken an unopened, post-ban Cusenier bottle and pasted some vintage Dubied Fils labels on it. This sort of nonsense has happened before and it will happen again.

Put away your wallets, ladies and gentlemen ...
Chrysippvs
Posted on Wednesday, May 22, 2002 - 9:17 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

It is, however missing, the large space for the center wax seal for Oxygenee. Cusenier made many spirits, this could be any one of those...

Check out Son Historie, p. 67....

duval

just my two cents

- J
Chrysippvs
Posted on Wednesday, May 22, 2002 - 9:13 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

That is assuming that the Oxy in the bottle is really absinthe, and not the post-ban liqueur which is only worth maybe ~200 USD sealed.

The bottles do look the same, but as far as I know cusenier did not make Fritz Duval, Fritz Duval made it.

Oxygenee, Ian, Phil your thoughts?

- J
Chevalier
Posted on Wednesday, May 22, 2002 - 9:13 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

But look at the antique photo of the absinthe bottles. I've seen that picture on another website (which I can't find now). Has the photo been doctored to change the look of the bottle in it? Sure, it's possible. The only other image I've seen of a Dubied bottle is in Delahaye's "L'Absinthe: Son Histoire", and it's true that the bottle there looks much more like a standard dark green absinthe bottle.

On the other hand, could it be possible that Cusenier bought out Dubied Fils at some point? It's hard to believe that a con artist would use a distinctly "Cusenier"-shaped bottle mistakenly, and then go to the trouble of doctoring an old photo. It'd be easier to use a more standard, generic absinthe bottle and claim it was a Dubied.
Larsbogart
Posted on Wednesday, May 22, 2002 - 9:12 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

"...Big time collector with a trust fund?"
No THATS Nolan.

"Those Duval labels are a dime a dozen"
Amen
Robertsmith
Posted on Wednesday, May 22, 2002 - 9:10 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Anybody have a legit pic of a Duval bottle to compare it with? I thought Duval bottles looked like Oxy bottles, but I could be wrong. Hey, even if it's Oxy I'd still bid on it, but probably stop around $800.
Chevalier
Posted on Wednesday, May 22, 2002 - 9:05 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

He's a collector, but I disagree with Wolfgang: he bids soberly, his buying habits aren't extravagant or excessive. You should invite him to NYC ...
Chrysippvs
Posted on Wednesday, May 22, 2002 - 9:04 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Before everyone gets hyped up, allow me to point something out. Take a good look at the bottle and tell me what you see. I see a green bottle embossed with the word "CUSENIER" in the shape of an Oxy bottle, with cusenier seal labeling etc. Those Duval labels are a dime a dozen these days, and I wonder how easy it would be to take an old bottle of Oxy from the 30's-60's, stick on some labels, and pop it on e-bay....

Be weary, and mindful. I am not so sure about this one...

- J
Robertsmith
Posted on Wednesday, May 22, 2002 - 9:00 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Oh yeah, I forgot Nolan and Betty are different people now.
Robertsmith
Posted on Wednesday, May 22, 2002 - 9:00 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Whos' Horace anyway? Big time collector with a trust fund?
Larsbogart
Posted on Wednesday, May 22, 2002 - 8:58 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Correction: Nolan will.
Robertsmith
Posted on Wednesday, May 22, 2002 - 8:55 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

10-12 contributors at $100 a piece adds up to $1000-$1200. 1.25oz per person does not add up to 10-12% of the bottle. I know how valuable it is (I don't know a single person who's ever had this, but know a few who've had Edouard, Oxygenee, and Tarragonna, and they paid $2000 for their bottles, and this bottle is rarer) but I also understand nobodys going to give you $100 for 1.25 oz unless you're Betty.
Wolfgang
Posted on Wednesday, May 22, 2002 - 8:51 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I think it will go over 1500$ if someone is ready to go straight forward against Horace (and maybe also against other less known bidders).

I also think if I had enough plastic money left, I would try to snatch it all for myself and that it would be very easy to sell it for 100$ a glass.
Chevalier
Posted on Wednesday, May 22, 2002 - 8:41 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Calm down, everybody. I'll e-mail you a suggestion ...
Wolfgang
Posted on Wednesday, May 22, 2002 - 8:38 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Ok, forget about it, you obviously have no idea of the value of such a fine item.
Robertsmith
Posted on Wednesday, May 22, 2002 - 8:35 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

$100 for 1.25 oz? Are you Betty, Wolfgang? No way in hell. I doubt the bottle will go for more than $1500, so if you split the bottle in to 15 parts, that's a lot more than 1.25 oz, so somebodys not getting their moneys worth. I'm willing to put in $100 to whoever is bidding if they win, provided I get an accurate percentage of the bottle based on the percentage of the winning bid I'm paying.
Chevalier
Posted on Wednesday, May 22, 2002 - 8:21 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

A while back, I promised to kick in $20. I'll still do so, if you all decide to go for the bottle. (I can't make it to the NYC fairyfest, so consider the gesture a half-sip on the house.)

Wolfgang
Posted on Wednesday, May 22, 2002 - 8:16 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Bid against Horace ? Hahaha. Good luck.

If you'r willing to pool for a 100 us$ share, paid within a week through ultra express post, that will buy you 1.25 oz, email me and let's continue this discussion privately. We need at least 10-12 contributors, otherwise forget about it.

wolfgang_fener AT hotmail.com

Horace : If there's a possible arrangement (sharing the bottle maybe), please email me.
Wolfgang
Posted on Wednesday, May 22, 2002 - 8:15 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Rimbaud
Posted on Wednesday, May 22, 2002 - 7:13 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

HOLY SHIT!!!!!! Wonder what the reserve is?
Chevalier
Posted on Wednesday, May 22, 2002 - 7:04 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

... if it's genuine. Why don't you pool your cash and bid?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2105635035

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page