Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Blood and Alice

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum Archive thru June 2002 » Archive Thru May 2002 » Blood and Alice « Previous Next »

Meat_Nipples
Posted on Sunday, May 26, 2002 - 8:38 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I've got both new Waits cds. They are great. I hated "Mule Variations", so I was pleasantly surprised. Personally, I like his theatrical albums. "Franks" is one of my favorites; "Black Rider" is damn good too. "Rain Dogs" however is his most listenable album. Thats the one I refer to friends who want a good introduction to his music.
Anatomist
Posted on Sunday, May 26, 2002 - 4:05 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I haven't dug Waits' theatrical stuff nearly as much as the straight-up albums. I didn't like BLACK RIDER very much. I probably only listened to it a half-dozen times through, and that was enough. And I only liked a fraction of the stuff on FRANK'S WILD YEARS. I also wasn't too big on the syrupy strings of BLUE VALENTINE, or the shproinginess of SWORDFISHTROMBONES in general - which I just heard some rock critic trumpet as his masterpiece.

If one is supposed to be more like BONE MACHINE, I'll try that one first.

My favorites, in this order:

RAIN DOGS
NIGHTHAWKS
BONE MACHINE
HEART OF A SATURDAY NIGHT
MULE VARIATIONS

I'm afraid I may be a little too sober and healthy to go on a serious Waits tear these days anyhow.

K.
Alphasoixante
Posted on Saturday, May 25, 2002 - 4:58 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

"If you like the "old" Tom Waits"

if by "old" you mean The Black Rider (in the case of Alice) and Bone Machine (in the case of Blood Money). if that's old, waits is paleolithic. hell, if that's old, i'm a dinosaur.

"misery's the river of the world.
everybody row!"
Larsbogart
Posted on Thursday, May 23, 2002 - 8:29 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hokey smokes! Buy it for the cover photo AND the back photo.
[just saw the swimming fish]
Larsbogart
Posted on Thursday, May 23, 2002 - 8:25 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

"arithmetic arithmetoc
turn the hands back on the clock
how does the ocean rock the boat
how did the razor find my throat
I must be insane
to go skating on your name
and by tracing it twice
I fell thru the ice
of Alice"
Waits
HEY-it didnt come up..
Larsbogart
Posted on Thursday, May 23, 2002 - 8:08 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

If you like the "old" Tom Waits buy both of the "new" CD's.
Heck, buy it just for the picture on the back of "Alice" [blah, blah, Lewis Carroll].
Its a great picture to look at when you are "peaking" on secondary effects.

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page