Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Archive through May 23, 2002

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum Archive thru June 2002 » Archive Thru May 2002 » Effects, Effects, Effects » Archive through May 23, 2002 « Previous Next »

Zman7
Posted on Thursday, May 23, 2002 - 12:05 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

The damn Everclear in Nevada is 151 proof. But it is the EXACT same label as the 190 stuff. Only in teeny weeny letters does it say "151Proof"
Bryan
Posted on Thursday, May 23, 2002 - 12:00 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Zman7 picked up some Everclear in Vegas, lesser proof, he didn't notice at first that it wasn't 190. Washington has no Everclear at all.
Admin
Posted on Thursday, May 23, 2002 - 11:33 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

you can get 153 everclear in california, as that is the legal alc limit. I think it's 153, anyways ...
Artemis
Posted on Thursday, May 23, 2002 - 11:24 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

The Everclear I was talking about is 95% alcohol. Therefore 190 proof. I'm not aware of any other kind of Everclear (I'm not saying it doesn't exist). I'm also aware there is no Everclear at all in some U.S. states.
Bryan
Posted on Thursday, May 23, 2002 - 9:13 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Wolfgang,
I know that Everclear from Nevada is of lesser proof, 80 or 90 if I remember correctly. Other states I'm not sure.
Wolfgang
Posted on Thursday, May 23, 2002 - 5:44 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hummm, maybe. For sure you'r right about the third line.
Aion
Posted on Thursday, May 23, 2002 - 5:40 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I can not concur this time.

The recipie is an essential part of the process,
the process is dictated by the equipment used,
only if all fits together acceptable quality
can be achieved.
If the ingredients taste bad, the result tastes bad.
Synergy!
A.
Wolfgang
Posted on Thursday, May 23, 2002 - 5:06 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

In my opinion, 80% of an absinthe quality comes from the process. Maybe 15% comes from the quality of herbs and alcohol and 5 % from the recipe itself. Of course if the alcohol base is donkey piss that won't help but that's usually not the problem.

50ml to much recolted distillate can waste an hausgematche batch made from the best alcohol and herbs... Like Moonmans #9 for exemple damn it! (the moron fucking falled asleep !).

But of course, "wasted" is a very relative term ... I'm probably the one who's wasted...

About everclear, I eard in some states it's not always the same proof. Maybe not all Everclear are created equal ?

Hail to the overtaxed SAQ grain alcohol ! It's clean like spring water.
Artemis
Posted on Thursday, May 23, 2002 - 3:38 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

> low grade pure grain alcohol, much like
> everclear

Everclear is the purest grain alcohol you're ever going to see. There's nothing low grade about it. If you claim to taste something in it that's not there, I can't argue, maybe your tongue is wired differently than mine. But that comment above is, well, bullshit. Some of the best absinthe on the planet has been made with Everclear, and not only would you rave over it (unless you're dishonest), you wouldn't have a clue it was made with Everclear. I've done that Pepsi challenge on people. I do know what you mean about the alcohol bite, but any high proof alcohol will bite.
Albertcamus
Posted on Wednesday, May 22, 2002 - 4:31 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I agree,I tasted it{mm}.my main complaint, I suppose is the alcohol content.i consider myself a novice with regards to absinthe,but at this point i am favoring absinthe's with less alcohol.That was my problem with La fee,68%!.I just got hammered to quickly.i just ordered Tabu,thats 73%.holly fuck!well at least I know that it will last longer.I believe that 45-50% is just right...
Robertsmith
Posted on Wednesday, May 22, 2002 - 3:37 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Yes, I've drank it. I don't pretend to comment on Absinthes I've never tasted. Again, it's an issue of personal preference, but I think MM 70% has a distinct alcohol bite, which to my palate tastes like low grade pure grain alcohol, much like everclear, which I've also been judgement impaired enough to swallow straight. Deva 70% has the same alcohol and is much easier to drink IMO. MM does also taste a lot like good and plentys, which I think they probably threw into the mix to try and cover up the overwhelming alcoholic taste of the flourescent goo in that bottle. The bottle itself is quite sexy though, and makes a nice decoration... :). Its worth trying once, and at least better than any Czech I've had, but still pretty undrinkable.
Marccampbell
Posted on Wednesday, May 22, 2002 - 12:20 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

yeah, i was wondering about robertsmith's everclear comment. makes you wonder if he's really ever drunk Mari Mayans. Mari Mayans taste has more in common with Good And Plentys than everclear.
Artemis
Posted on Wednesday, May 22, 2002 - 8:03 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Everclear doesn't have any taste, and it smells like alcohol.
Marccampbell
Posted on Tuesday, May 21, 2002 - 6:45 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I know people who like Mari Mayans.
Its way too anisey and sweet for me, but some people enjoy that.
Robertsmith
Posted on Tuesday, May 21, 2002 - 6:25 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

yeah, MM is strictly a cosmetic absinthe. Aside from that I think it basically tastes like it smells. Everclear.
Destiny
Posted on Monday, May 20, 2002 - 4:43 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Now Artemis, dont be sexist/homophobic. Some people, like Albertcamus, obviously prefer Le Bleues (hence, his taste for "kubler gooding junior".)

Don't let them judge you albert!
Albertcamus
Posted on Monday, May 20, 2002 - 3:33 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

well my mari mayans arrived to day,nearly 3 months after i ordered it.i took a wiff and it fucking smells like rubbing alcohol.i dont even want to drink it now.but it sure looks pretty sitting on my bar.i thinks its going to be there for awhile,still drinking "kubler gooding junior"
Pikkle
Posted on Monday, May 20, 2002 - 6:41 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Maybe old meant "made to the uninspired standards used by the neo-resurgance manufacturers of the early nineties." It tasted like an experimental Deva that was perhaps originally thought to be too complex for the immature palate of the time... or maybe it had just been sitting around for a long time, like aging or getting 'old' or something like that...
Artemis
Posted on Monday, May 20, 2002 - 4:17 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

It's La Bleue, not Le Bleue - the fairy is a girl.

Old Way was apparently a response by Spirits Corner to criticism of Spanish "absinthe" - they got somebody to make up a batch the "old way" (presumably French way) and sold it - maybe it was a one-time thing, I don't know.

I know that the sample of Old Way I tried was flat, insipid, unscented, uninspired. It didn't have any major faults, but it wasn't what I would call good either. A noble gesture by SC, but it is definitely NOT like absinthe (correctly) done the (Swiss) "old" way.
Traineraz
Posted on Sunday, May 19, 2002 - 11:50 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Well, since the general consensus seems to be either that I'm a freak or I should try Le Bleu or Old Way . . .

Any recommendations for a good Le Bleu source? I've heard bad things (in this forum) about one supplier listed, and the other appears to be in some sort of transition.

Are there any suppliers for Old Way? I haven't seen it anywhere.

I won't ask anyone to reply with regard to suppliers in this forum; rather, email me at traineraz@aol.com. Having had one shipment arrive covered with "Opened by USDA" tape, I know the drill!

Oh, and as regards the spillage issue . . . I'm a (good lookin', well hung, but more than you probably wanna know) bi man. Sex is about as difficult for me to get as a chocolate bar. So, yes, if sex is free and easy and Deva is $50-$55 a bottle, the DEVA IS WORTH MORE THAN THE SEX! I can ALWAYS get more sex . . . but it takes about two weeks to get more Deva, or Serpis 65, or NS, or that NASTY SEBOR STRONG (did I mention it's NASTY?).
Larsbogart
Posted on Tuesday, May 14, 2002 - 10:02 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

"...therefore these effects that I am experiencing probably do not exist..."
I'm pretty sure this is the reason why I keep drinking.

The new ritual, out of the bottle. It burns but its delicious.
Pikkle
Posted on Tuesday, May 14, 2002 - 8:04 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Old Way was okay... a step up from Deva if you ask me, a bit more complexity but no where near a le bleue in it's construction. I've only had a couple of glasses of the Kubler so far and I must say, this is now one of my favorites, not only for the flavor but I quite notice the secondaries... then again, sleep deprivation does not help my determination any...
Etienne
Posted on Tuesday, May 14, 2002 - 5:42 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Old Way was one of the best... haven't tried the nipple clamps yet.
Lordhobgoblin
Posted on Tuesday, May 14, 2002 - 4:08 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Serpis gives me very good secondary effects. But beware, if taken to great excess it can give you the mother of all hangovers.

Two Saturday nights ago I drank half a bottle of Serpis and the following day I couldn't even drink a glass of water without throwing it up. I haven't had a hangover as bad in 10 years (and I'm damn sure it wasn't down to the few glasses of Rioja I had before the Serpis). I love Serpis but the next time I choose to get shit-faced I'm choosing something else to do it with.

Hobgoblin
(On secondary effects I also get decent effects from Deva, NS, Sebor and Old Way. But then I have not been able to consistantly measure and record these effects in a manner that would stand up to rigorous scientific scrutiny, therefore these effects that I am experiencing probably do not exist. Anyway what do I care whether they exist or not, they feel pretty good to me all the same. Perhaps I should ask my Spirit Guide for his opinion on this matter?)
Larsbogart
Posted on Tuesday, May 14, 2002 - 12:58 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

"...won't have the dough for another week but could use a drink right now".
-Laura Speer
Word.

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page