Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Betina's absinthe and a microphone yo...

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum Archive thru June 2002 » Archive Thru May 2002 » Betina's absinthe and a microphone you'd sell the Bluesmobile for « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Archive through May 24, 2002Larsbogart25 5-24-02  8:24 am
Archive through May 24, 2002Albertcamus25 5-24-02  4:39 pm
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

2loucheltrec
Posted on Sunday, May 26, 2002 - 6:54 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

i did spend the extra $$$$ look at my profile under fav absinthe... $120 was her old price ... i guess because of competition she lowered it to $110 for all her spanish stuff...
Nascentvirion
Posted on Sunday, May 26, 2002 - 5:47 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

$120 for a bottle of Deva ?? Come on. Thats a little steep, shit why dont you just throw in an extra 80 bucks and get the good stuff.
2loucheltrec
Posted on Sunday, May 26, 2002 - 4:38 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

marc- you are "dead on" about betty, the hysteria needs to be turned way down, it's one the to rightfully warn people it's another to feed into their paranoid delusions... yes , betty is the one whom "broke my absinthe cherry" and i have to agree with rich about the moving on to save pennies (it's alot more than that) most of her prices are double that of of any other retailer of the exact same absinthe ($110 for mari mayans anyone?)... yes she's reliable and i believe she's a nice person, just maybe a little misguided... as to having absinthe snatched , i believe she had 24 bottles (of La Fee, i think) yanked ... gee imagine that 24 bottles shouldn't raise any red flags should it? (then again she was the source of the reported customs confiscation) ... maybe some peoples personal consumption is higher than others...
"Clean up your karma before you start using the mystical as a merchandising tool"... i think it might be to late for that...
Marccampbell
Posted on Sunday, May 26, 2002 - 1:05 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

silent rich,

welcome.

I think Betty is her own worst enemy. She needs to ramp down the hysteria a little bit. In the three years that I've been a member of this forum, I can only recall one or two instances where customs has confiscated absinthe. I think in both instances it was Canadian customs that grabbed the stuff. And in at least one instance, the absinthe was released to the person it was being sent to. My memory is shot, so there may be other cases of absinthe being seized, but I don't think so. As for me, I've ordered shitloads of the stuff without a problem, other than breakage.
And the broken bottles were replaced.

My advice to Betty:
continue to sell your fine products at whatever markup you choose. From what I have read, you are reliable and efficient in getting your goods to the customer. I would discourage you from using scare tactics to promote your business. Fostering paranoia to sell merchandise ain't an ethical business practice. I would also advise you against making dubious claims as to the thujone content of your products. Unless you have solid proof regarding thujone content, you are using misleading info to sell your product. It reminds me of coke dealers who claim their stuff is 90% pure. Yeah, right. I also find your new agey use of terms like "the Holy Grail of absinthes" a little disingenous considering the less than holy methods you use to merchandise and sell your products. Clean up your karma before you start using the mystical as a merchandising tool.
Silent_Rich
Posted on Sunday, May 26, 2002 - 12:46 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

No I could probably talk plenty ... but in support of the current arguement ... I had bought my first bottle (Guy) from Betty as she was all I had known about in the beginning because she was quick to jump in (and yes pour scare tactics on me) when I had asked her questions, realizing the money difference, and despite how nice Betty may have been, and yes, I do think she is a perfectly fine person but as the pennies saved weighs heavier ... The next was from Markus ... Although I have to say this has been an entertaining read the duration and I have taken to the advice (although not directed at me) of the majority, and with that Markus has my business from this point forth.
Marccampbell
Posted on Sunday, May 26, 2002 - 12:38 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

the only newbies that get roasted are the ones that come in with an attitude, spouting bullshit, or asking questions that are easily answered by exploring the sepulchritude website.

I am a member of the NY Times film forum and this one. When I first came on board both websites, I came in with an attitude. I was a jerk. I am no longer a newbie, but I'm still a jerk. Some things never change.
Destiny
Posted on Sunday, May 26, 2002 - 12:25 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Of course, we'll never know the actual number of registered forum members vs. lurkers or the reasons why people don't post, but I have a feeling that the "intimidation" excuse is over-blown and most people just don't bother registering - it's much easier to claim the water is too cold/hot than to admit you're too lazy to jump in.

(I don't advocate allowing unregistered users to post, I was just making a point.)
Marccampbell
Posted on Sunday, May 26, 2002 - 12:18 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

silent rich,

is that all you have to say after 6 months of reading this board?
Silent_Rich
Posted on Sunday, May 26, 2002 - 12:07 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

>I love the smell of burning Newbie in the morning. It smells like .... hollow victory.

That's exactly why I have been a silent board lurker for over six months.
Artemis
Posted on Sunday, May 26, 2002 - 7:27 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

>> "Betina's absinthe and a microphone you'd sell
>> the bluesmobile for"

> that title reads like a hippie version of
> Garrison Keillor. Lake Whoa Be Gone, Man.

That's the Marc I like to see. A witty man displaying his skill with words. If I may say so, it's unseemly for you to get down to the level to which that exchange quickly sunk. You're better than that, and can do better. For sure, you didn't have to post your resume, so to speak, as though you have something to prove. Your sense of humor, writing ability and absinthe knowledge speak for themselves.

> I don't dig it when someone drops into the
> forum, out of nowhere, and attempts to school
> us on absinthe.

No do I, but he had some valid points and I suspect there's a large group of absintheurs in what I would call, for lack of a more functional term at the moment, the Betty Camp, who are probably intimidated about posting here and who probably resent us as a bunch of elitists. They no doubt read but don't post, and every now and then, one of them has a stomach full and BOOM! Unfortunately, they tend to be way too confrontational to win anybody over. When they combine that with transparent bullshit such as the Rimbaud reference .....

I love the smell of burning Newbie in the morning. It smells like .... hollow victory.

> tantris' comment "buy your cheap inferior
> absinthe, if it pleases you" is what really
> pissed me off.

Me too, until I thought about it. I'm not aware of ANY cheap absinthe. But there's plenty of inferior absinthe, and plenty of people buy it.

> Betty's La Bleue, which varies from batch to
> batch, is hardly the best absinthe out there.

What I had from her was good. A bottle I got from you through Nephilim was better - in fact I still remember it fondly from two winters ago. I could be happy drinking nothing but that.

> but not nearly as good as Jade, Nephilim

Those are on a whole different plane than any La Bleue from anywhere, but since they aren't widely available to anybody, it would still be accurate to say (I assume) that *some* of the best product in the world comes from Betty. Some of the inferior crap comes from her as well. Of course, it's all relative.
Robertsmith
Posted on Sunday, May 26, 2002 - 1:01 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

By the way, in case you missed that, I don't ACTUALLY think Betty is Osama Bin Laden. Clear? Good.
Robertsmith
Posted on Saturday, May 25, 2002 - 11:38 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

You know what, it doesn't matter who you order your absinthe from. Do whatever the hell you want with your money. And I've never once slandered Bettys service, only her prices on some of her products. And my profile is back to it's non-sarcastic unopinionated self. See there's this form of humour called satire, and when I temporarily named myself "Osama Betty Laden", I just thought it would help illustrate the absurdity of which the Betty debate has grown to the point where she's either Christ or AntiChrist, when really she's just a very well connected purveryor of rare items, most of which are in my opinion too expensive, but maybe they cost that much for reasons which I don't comprehend. Anyway, if anyone was offended by the joke, especially Betty (who else would be?), I apologize because it was meant as a joke, and I thought it was pretty obviously an attempt to illustrate the absurdity of making Betty such a huge center of attention by equating her with Osama. Get it now? Joke? Freespeech?
*as I'm tiptoeing around the eggshells*....
Robertsmith
Posted on Saturday, May 25, 2002 - 4:08 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Yeah, I just gulped (not imbibed) both Francois and Betty's #3 last night, and I actually think Francois Guy is better tasting overall, although Bettys #3 is more potent. Does extra wormwood equal $150 more? HELL NO! I bought LaBleu from her a while ago when I had only had Sebor and Deva, and so of course her #3 was the holy grail back then, but now that I've had several more brands, her LBs just aren't worth the difference in price, even if her service is excellent and she emails right away and insures her packages and all that. And besides she charges $150 for 1 bottle of Guy when you can buy 2 bottles with shipping from Markus for $132, and he takes paypal and creditcards and she doesn't. Duh, muthafucka! The choice is obvious.
Mr_Rabid
Posted on Saturday, May 25, 2002 - 1:40 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Well, Tantris said "i was a frequenter of this board long before your ugly head was raised herein."

When did you show up, Tantris? I don't remember you from way back, but that means nothing given my brain... were you under a different username then?
Marccampbell
Posted on Saturday, May 25, 2002 - 12:41 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

artemis,

"Betina's absinthe and a microphone you'd sell the bluesmobile for"

that title reads like a hippie version of Garrison Keillor. Lake Whoa Be Gone, Man.

I don't dig it when someone drops into the forum,
out of nowhere, and attempts to school us on absinthe.

tantris' comment "buy your cheap inferior absinthe,
if it pleases you" is what really pissed me off.
The arrogance. Betty's La Bleue, which varies from batch to batch, is hardly the best absinthe out there. I have a couple of bottles of her product that have been sitting on my shelf for almost 3 years. They're drinkable, but not nearly as good as Jade, Nephilim or assorted La Bleues that I've received from my sources. I have drunk commerial brands of absinthe that I enjoy as much as some La Bleues. Its clear to me that tantris' knowledge and experience of absinthe is limited. Instead of coming in here with his cornball anecdote and smug self-righteousness, he would have been better off reading and learning from
those of us who know a thing or two about the good stuff and "the cheap inferior" shit.
Artemis
Posted on Saturday, May 25, 2002 - 12:02 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

There was a lot wrong with Tantris' post but I thought I'd stop with the most obvious. But I was also puzzled by the reference to the Rimbaud movie (inaccurate depiction of Rimbaud??). I seem to remember that a large part of the dialogue came verbatim from the writing of the principals. I suppose there are better ways to make a movie about a person than putting his own words into his mouth, but I can't think of any. There were things wrong with the movie, but I don't think inaccurate depiction of Rimbaud was one of them.

FWIW, the La Bleue I got from Betty (a free sample, long ago) was quite good no matter where it came from, but I'd have to want absinthe really badly (and I've never wanted it that badly) to pay those prices. But I would never criticize her for charging them or anybody else for paying them.
Robertsmith
Posted on Saturday, May 25, 2002 - 7:35 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

And Vera gets a big trophy for putting the nail in the coffin of the Betty sucks/bettys Ok volley with one simple but very powerful word. "Orgy".
Robertsmith
Posted on Saturday, May 25, 2002 - 7:26 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

What you don't see in that picture is that body only has one boob...
It's a very belle epoch booby though.
Veras pics are all pretty good, you should check out the link on the profile.
Mr_Rabid
Posted on Friday, May 24, 2002 - 7:01 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

You got it. I dig chicks with big freaky baby heads.

Grunting, sweaty, big freaky baby heads...
Destiny
Posted on Friday, May 24, 2002 - 5:24 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Good enough, break out the digital camera and start posting! I'm gonna be stuck recording drum loops all night and some nekked pictures would be a nice distraction.
Verawench
Posted on Friday, May 24, 2002 - 5:16 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I am sorry to say that only the head belongs to me.
Destiny
Posted on Friday, May 24, 2002 - 5:05 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Is that really you Vera? If so, give us a over/under sexed boys a thrill and post rest of the pix! Let's say, 9-ish?

>:-)
Chevalier
Posted on Friday, May 24, 2002 - 4:57 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

my picture
Chevalier
Posted on Friday, May 24, 2002 - 4:50 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Rabbit, gaze at Vera's latest profile pic and take her up on her offer.

And in case Vera changes the pic before you get to see it ...

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page