Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Audiogalaxy is being slapped with a l...

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum Archive thru June 2002 » Archive Thru May 2002 » Audiogalaxy is being slapped with a lawsuit by RIAA « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Archive through May 26, 2002Bjacques25 5-26-02  3:29 pm
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Silent_Rich
Posted on Tuesday, May 28, 2002 - 4:08 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Cool-Edit is great and easy to use and Sonic Foundry is a good name but not as attractive, but neither offer a (good) free version.
Destiny
Posted on Tuesday, May 28, 2002 - 2:02 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

The problem with ProTools on a PC is that you're stuck with Win98/Me until they get their head out of their ass and realize that it's half-way through 2002. Unless you happen to have the major cash-ola for a ProTools 24 system which supports Win2000.

How about one of the Sonic Foundry products? They might have a free download and are usually on the cutting edge of things. Also, Cool Edit is pretty straight-forward and may have what you're looking for.

P.S. Try Wild Tangent's "Valentine's Dancer" plugin for WinAmp. If your video card can handle it, it's fun to watch.
Silent_Rich
Posted on Monday, May 27, 2002 - 10:10 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Pro-Tools free is available for PC, although it is very picky with system settings and takes a bit to get used to, but Pro-Tools is a god sent if you get the hang of it.
Anatomist
Posted on Monday, May 27, 2002 - 9:38 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I used Winamp as a player for a long time. Then they kept bugging me to download the new upgrade. I did, and suddenly playing any of my old mp3 folders sent it into an error loop that I had to use the task list to get out of. I screwed around with their plugins and the preferences for quite a while to no avail, then I got pissed and uninstalled and erased it all. I guess I'll have to go back and try again, because Window Media and Realplayer aren't cutting it even as basic players.

K.
Robertsmith
Posted on Monday, May 27, 2002 - 9:08 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Oh yeah. I guess I missed the inexpensive part. Pro tools free may be available for PC, not sure. And I know there's some program Sony makes for MP3 encoding and burning for PCs, but I honestly don't know dick about PCs. Sorry.
Destiny
Posted on Monday, May 27, 2002 - 8:08 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

He asks for an inexpensive solution and you tell him to buy a Mac and an iPod?

Hey Anatomist, have you looked into WinAmp? I think that there are some plugins that let you do mixing. It might take some time to sort through all the plugins but you might find something cool and free.

Regarding copying some new CDs, is it the Sony protection that's giving you grief? If so, someone cracked that protection using a magic marker. Check the sci-tech section of CNN from last week.
Robertsmith
Posted on Monday, May 27, 2002 - 7:01 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Buy a mac and it comes with Itunes for free. Can't set levels or edit, but you can do that in Pro Tools free for the Mac. You can do everything else in Itunes. (converting, burning MP3 or audio CDs, it autonames everything so you don't have to type shit, and it's even got digital radio). It's totally effortless, and then you can put all your songs on your ipod without even having to do anything. You plug it in and it automatically copies everything via firewire at the rate of 10 songs in 12 seconds.
Anatomist
Posted on Monday, May 27, 2002 - 6:16 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I've thought about doing that, but several of the newer CDs I bought aren't copyable with my program. I should probably start, though, because the number of damaged CDs I have is getting ridiculous. I also don't have a program that converts to MP3, or that I can slice applause or whathaveyou off one end of the song with, or that I can control the relative sound levels to make a listenable compilation CD with. Does anyone have suggestions for inexpensive, useable programs that can accomplish some of this?

K.
Destiny
Posted on Monday, May 27, 2002 - 4:35 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

When I buy a new CD, I do to things:

1) Rip to mp3 for use on my home/work PC or portable mp3 player.

2) Burn a copy for actual usage and then archive the orginal disk.

Simple, cheap and effective.
Nascentvirion
Posted on Monday, May 27, 2002 - 7:26 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Anatomist,

If your cd's skip you can take them somewhere and get them resurfaced. Usually its 2 or 3 dollars a cd and takes 5 minutes. Or you can go to really any electronic super outlet and buy one yourself. I dont know how much they cost, but they are easy to find. As for the file sharing compare to cd's Mp3's skip all the time... Some CD-R's wont even play in stereos. Thats another drawback that you get with ripping. Nothing is perfect in this world. There have been alot of bands I have discovered through file sharing, and I go out and buy the cd. I dont have a burner so I dont have much of a choice. Although I could tape mp3's from my computer.

Marc,

The Hunter Thompson poster is a Hunter Thompson poster nothing more nothing less, just humor. :)
Anatomist
Posted on Monday, May 27, 2002 - 7:02 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Another thing about CDs that totally sucks that no one has mentioned is that CDs totally suck. They are ridiculously fragile. I often shell out my $15 plus for one only to see at least one track skipping within a few weeks. Shuttling CDs around between 3 or 4 players is too much for them. A large portion of my collection has skips. If only they came housed in a cartridge, like floppy discs, they would be reasonably durable. I'ts a pisser to know that something like 5 cents of what I pay goes to the physical media, and when that 5 cents worth fails, I'm supposed to pay another $15-20.

I see the ability to use file sharing to replace skipping tracks as a nice advantage - unfortunately it's too much of a pain in the ass for me to bother with right now. I would like to be able to buy the music as computer files, so the physical CDs are expendable. Or, better yet, I'd like to see a situation where all my music would be on both my computer and a portable player unit, of which I would only need one. All the rest of my stereos, boomboxes, etc.. could just be amp/preamps with an input jack for the player unit.

K.
Silent_Rich
Posted on Monday, May 27, 2002 - 1:23 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Lauryn Hill is great in the right scenario, some of her live vocal jazz is fantatic. She has a great voice, it's just this modern morph of Rhythm and Blues of which her recorded stuff (which I really am not fond of) is based that limits the immediate impression of her ...
Also Cake's new cd didn't quite grab me as much as their others, but oh well, Mike Doughty (of soul coughing) put out a fairly good album not too long ago, I always kind of lump SC and Cake into the same strange spoofy drum and bass monotone vocals kind of catagorey, although missing the drum and the bass Doughty's CD still manages to get that SC essence.
Thegreenimp
Posted on Monday, May 27, 2002 - 12:26 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Actually it went on before he died,(Curtiss Knight & Ed Chalpin).... and contributed to his death.
The situation that went on for many years, with Alan Douglas, was despicable, then when Douglas was forced out and Hendrix's family regained control, people at last thought things would change for the better.........unfortunately they didn't, giving us golf bags and cheap merchandise.
the tragedy continues
Jay
Aion
Posted on Monday, May 27, 2002 - 12:24 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Marc,

But sadly B.S. sells 10 times more than all
these together.

I like Moby, and the latest Radiohead CD was great,
but honestly I don´t like Macy Grey, I don´t like
Lauryn Hill, I don´t like Beck, ...
Although I do not question that they make good music.

There are some really amazing (American) bands,
that are not so well known: Low, Tortoise, Sea
and Cake, Labradford, Laika, Calexico, ...

A.
Marccampbell
Posted on Monday, May 27, 2002 - 12:18 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Jay,

word.

The rape of Hendrix has been going on since the day after he died. I remember all these record albums being released with his name and photo on the covers even though he may have only been a sideman on the projects. Remember the albums where they took some unfinished quitar tracks by Hendrix and had session men play behind them?
Now the Hendrix estate is flooding the market with re-packaged stuff thats been available for years.
Thegreenimp
Posted on Monday, May 27, 2002 - 12:11 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

The posthumous rape of Jimi Hendrix is one of the most shamefull incidents in the music industry.
From management to family members, they all got a piece of the action, from tampered with recordings sold to a gullible public, to tables and golf bags with Jimi's photo on them, it's almost criminal what was done to Jimi Hendrix.
Jay (Longtime Hendrix collector)
Marccampbell
Posted on Sunday, May 26, 2002 - 11:45 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

There is some good music that sells:

Moby, Andrew w.k., early Radiohead, The Strokes,
Lauren Hill's first record, Macy Gray, Beck...
Aion
Posted on Sunday, May 26, 2002 - 11:35 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

There is another big problem, 95% of
the music (?) published today is SHIT!!

All those casted together girlie/boy groups.
SHIT! Not even the slightest touch of musical
talent. Just FAKE!

And as there are no new ideas classical pop/rock
pieces are violated.
A few examples (currently in the charts):
3! Techno versions of Madonna´s "Like a prayer"
1 Techno version of C. Lauper´s "Time after Time"
1 Techno version of P. Smith´s "Because the Night"
1 Techno version of B. Craven´s "Promise me"
1 Techno version of B. Tyler´s "Total Eclipse..."
and if all this wasn´t already enough torture,
let´s not forget sqeeking piggy B(ull)ritney
S(hit)pear´s cover version of "I love Rock and Roll".

But that crap sells!
Good music doesn´t sell, or isn´t even published.
Too bad.

A.
Marccampbell
Posted on Sunday, May 26, 2002 - 11:31 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

old ways are often good ways.

The notion that technological progress, in and of itself, is a good thing has brought us such loveliness as: the atom bomb, air and water pollution, global warming, cancerous food additives, strip malls, bad tv....

I think its a good time for us all to start examining how technology hurts and helps us, instead of plunging ahead with no sense of where we're going.
Robertsmith
Posted on Sunday, May 26, 2002 - 11:21 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Ok, how bout this? "The Old Ways are Old."
Meat_Nipples
Posted on Sunday, May 26, 2002 - 10:35 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I have to agree with anatomist. These big online retailers like amazon and cdnow probably have a lot more to do with smaller music stores going out of business than "p2p file sharing". I have downloaded quite a few copy-righted songs off the internet through these programs. If I dont like the music I download, it doesn't stay on my hard drive. If I do, I almost always end up buying the cd.

When I buy a cd, I feel like I am supporting an artist I love; I am making an investment in their music. I can't in clear conscience copy music to cd I haven't paid for.

Unless of course the artist is dead. Download all the Jimi Hendrix you want. Use it to protest his bloated, greedy estate.
Marccampbell
Posted on Sunday, May 26, 2002 - 10:29 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

The old ways are dead...

so whats with the Hunter Thompson poster?
Robertsmith
Posted on Sunday, May 26, 2002 - 10:19 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Nascent is very good at summing it all up with a sentence. I concur.
Nascentvirion
Posted on Sunday, May 26, 2002 - 5:44 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

The old ways are dead.. This is the new way.
Anatomist
Posted on Sunday, May 26, 2002 - 3:48 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I don't think it's only file sharing that's killing the record stores. CDNOW and Amazon.com probably have a big hand in it too. I listen to a good bit of moderately weird stuff - not mainstream enough to buy at places like Best Buy or to find a full album's worth on one of the napster clones without earning yourself a good 3 to 5 dollars an hour for your labor in the equivalent CD price. Almost everything I ever want to buy is available to ship within 2 days from CDNOW. However, with shipping, the price is a little higher.

I used to live in a town that had independent stores, and I would generally buy at the one where the employees weren't assholes - primarily because the employees were cool, and the ability to get a CD I want right fucking now is of value to me. However, even that place's stock couldn't compare to CDNOW - I'd give them a crack at getting stuff I wanted, but sometimes they couldn't or it would take too long and I'd end up ordering it from you know who. Now I live in a city 10 times the size with no independent stores. The only way to get what I want is via net.

Internet trade is putting all kinds of retailers in a bad position. You think little record stores have got it tough, talk to photographic equipment sellers. They can't afford to stock the exotic and weird because almost no one buys it, so you have to order that stuff via net, and the mainstream stuff they carry is being low-balled by the net giants. They can't win.

K.

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page