Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

OK, we're fucked.

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum Archive thru June 2002 » Archive Thru May 2002 » OK, we're fucked. « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Archive through May 27, 2002_Blackjack25 5-27-02  5:23 pm
Archive through May 28, 2002_Blackjack25 5-28-02  10:42 am
Archive through May 29, 2002Robertsmith25 5-29-02  10:31 pm
Archive through May 30, 2002Wolfgang25 5-30-02  1:38 pm
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Artemis
Posted on Friday, May 31, 2002 - 3:29 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

> You have intuited that I am a midget eh?

No, you have DEMONSTRATED yourself to be a midget. I wasn't talking about your physical stature. With your every word you continue to hang yourself with your own rope. You're even denser than I figured, but not by much.

> Here we are in a conversation about the
> military

No, we were not. You made some stupid, vapid, childish remarks about the military and I corrected you from the perspective of someone who's actually qualified to discuss it. I don't hold conversation with people on subjects about which they don't know shit. It's a waste of my time. That's the meaning of "I don't bandy words with the clueless".

> Well, since you haven't made any attempt to put
> forward even the most basic argument

I said exactly what I had to say, clearly and succinctly, and you not only demonstrated that you failed to understand what I said, you continued to run your clueless mouth and got insulting. You want to get into a flame war with me, I'll kick your ass around here until I get tired of it.

> I will just go back to drinking my way through
> the remainder of my dwindling stash of Wolvie's
> sweet nectar.

I'm sooooooooo jealous. Wolvie's nectar. LOL. You really have no idea who the fuck you're talking to, do you?

> except for a little bit of history that some
> forum members have been kind enough to mail me
> (also not too complimentary I'm afraid).

Oh yes, the forum's closet nannies. I invite those chickenshits to muster some balls and take up whatever problems they have with me right here.

> How many assumptions have been made about me so
> far?

By me, none.

Art history majors. Now those are some USEFUL citizens. Not at all like soldiers! Thanks for the laughs.

Hey, thank you Rabid, thank you Kallisti-pie, thank you Don!

I think I'll follow Marc. The forum will be a MUCH better place. Everybody can talk politely about when the next shipment of pseudo-absinthe will arrive, with no fear of being beat up for their lunch money!
Pablo
Posted on Friday, May 31, 2002 - 1:54 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Marc, my parents looked into building an earthship about 5 years ago. They are really amazing structures. The drawback for us was making one earthquake proof to code in California. It would not have been cost effective. But I still pull out the blueprints occasionally and dream.
Its beautiful country out there. Enjoy.
Robertsmith
Posted on Thursday, May 30, 2002 - 6:05 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Where's the picture of Marc on the cross?
Just kidding, couldn't resist....
Marccampbell
Posted on Thursday, May 30, 2002 - 5:03 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I had to come out of hiding for this.

The bottom photo was taken in 1977. There's a bandage on my left arm covering up the $18 tattoo
I had done earlier in the day. Its a heart with "Rimbaud" written across it. The picture was taken during a show at Wax Trax Record store in Denver. Jim Nash, the owner of Wax Trax, moved to Chicago and started the Wax Trax record label.
He released records by Ministry, Thrill Kill Kult,
Revolting Cocks and alot of other industrial bands. Nash was a visionary. He died a few years ago of AIDS.

thanks blackjack for posting the pictures.
I'm everything but yer average American.
I've been a peacenik since I was a kid. Marched on the Pentagon in the mid-'60s. Worked with the Black Panther party in Berkeley in the early '70s
on their school lunch program for poor inner city kids.
Still consider myself to be an outlaw.
I'm moving to Taos where I am going to build an earthshhip (solar and wind powered, completely
self-sufficient) in the mountains near Lama.
I'm opening a bar that will showcase live bands.

I disagree with Don Walsh and artemis on politics.
But, I respect their opinions and I respect them.
They are unique human beings with wild minds and good character. Walsh's mind at times goes beyond
wild into the ballistic, but I'll take the good with the bad.

Anyway, I wanted to set the record straight before moving on. I ain't no company boy.
I've suffered greatly for my ideals. Its tough sticking to your guns. But, I know no other way.
_Blackjack
Posted on Thursday, May 30, 2002 - 4:08 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Quote:

My god, if Artemis and Marc are any measure then the average absinthe drinker is just yer average American. With his wife and his dog and his car, luvin his country and hating our enemies, watchin the football game, beatin his wife, oh yeah and gettin smashed on absinthe and listening to some heavy metal. How counterculture can you get? I refuse to believe that these two made-in-the-USA automatons represent those enamored with the green fairy.

Bwah. Yeah, that's our Marc. A regular low-rent Rush Limbaugh...

marc1
marc2

BTW, aroq, you were in kindergarten when that second shot was taken.
_Blackjack
Posted on Thursday, May 30, 2002 - 3:50 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Quote:

that I (Roq) am a worthless piece of shit.

Yeah, well, you still have two good eyes, so you're not in a real good position to be criticizing the military to Don.

I am a pacifist, as I've mentioned, which puts me in a weird position when it comes to the military. I suppose it almost falls into the "hate the sin not the sinner" kind of situation. Some of the finest people I've know were in the military, including my father, but I still find involvement in the military, and sepcifically with the tpe of military engagements which have typified the last 50 years, morally objectionable.

I guess what it comes to is that I can't know what any person chosing to fight is feeling. I can't know how well they understand the situation, how afraid they are, etc. I might be able to proclaim loudly that I would not serve if drafted, but I have no-one dependent on me. I could certainly claim that I would have resisted had I been in Nazi Germany, but not only do I have the benefit of an education, I've never had to live in fear of a government which was so willing to kill and violate is people to get its way.

If you are going to look for villains, they are easier to find in those who cynically sow conflict for political advantage or profit, or in those who take pleasure in fighting and killing, rather than those who do so out of a sense of duty.
Robertsmith
Posted on Thursday, May 30, 2002 - 3:03 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

You know, absinthe has a lot to do with the military. We're naive to assume that just the artists drank it. The artists are just the most well known absinthe imbibers because they wrote about it and painted about it more than anyone else. Absinthe was extremely popular among the French military at the turn of the century. They imbibed it with much gusto, to the point where that was one of the many arugments for Absinthe being banned. The French military had become a bunch of listless drunks. Just like us. Alfred Jarry had his first glass of absinthe in the military. If I was in the army I'd be freebasing the green fairy. It would make wholesale murder that much easier....
And it would make the explosions look prettier.
Aroquentin
Posted on Thursday, May 30, 2002 - 2:18 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

LOL, excellent. Just noticed that this thread has finally turned to absinthe. At least that should satisfy some here. :>

Roq
Aroquentin
Posted on Thursday, May 30, 2002 - 2:13 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

LOL I get your point Wolfgang. Absinthe ain't no magic potion. I do indeed like to romanticize absinthe. I am rather hopelessly and unrealistically nostalgic and romantic about many things.

I agree with everything you said about absinthe in your last post. Almost certainly it has done more bad than good.

But on the other hand, I swear the "shimmering glare" effect of light on absinthe is related to Impressionistic images. Look at the light in those paintings, it's incredible. Of course it could just be a natural transformation of representation but damn it makes a powerful impression on the viewer and it really seems IMHO to have something in common with the drunkenness and possibly the elusive (questionable) secondaries from absinthe. Of course, had absinthe never existed, it is possible and probably likely that another powerful alcoholic drink and/or other mind-altering substance would have served the same purpose for artists, etc.

So I give in, ultimately you are right but hey, I like the romantic aspect ;>. Oops, I'm running out of pretentiousness and starting to sound like a normal person.

Roq
Admin
Posted on Thursday, May 30, 2002 - 1:57 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

"romanticize" wolf-kitten.
Wolfgang
Posted on Thursday, May 30, 2002 - 1:55 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

*Romanize * sorry, I meant "to see it in a romantic way" (how do you say that in english ?)

As to why I drink it now, I'll say it's because of the taste, the smell and the amusing ritual.

Maybe a little bit for the clear headed drunkness that it procures (but that's really just an illusion).

I'm not saying it's a banal ordinary drink. I say it's historically inaccurate to see it only as an artist and romantic drink.

Even amongst artists, I believe that for every Verlaine there was 1000 losers who complettely lost their talent by drinking too much absinthe. But of course we will never know as those morons never left a trace. But that's just my opinion.

I poured lot's of absinthe in various party and believe me, it doesn't always end up so well and romantic...
Larsbogart
Posted on Thursday, May 30, 2002 - 1:50 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Wolfgang pay attention
Its worded like this:
"More to come stay with us..."
It might help to tuck the hair behind your ears.
That frat boy enough for you?
Aroquentin
Posted on Thursday, May 30, 2002 - 1:39 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Well my first taste would be back as an undergrad in college (quite a few years ago, no La bleue around back then, at least where I was) and I have done a great deal of research into it. Not as much as those who introduced me to it though. Just the art historical aspect is fascinating, some of my friends wrote papers on the distorted perception of light associated with absinthe and its possible relation to the depiction of light in Impressionism. Frankly, after experimentation, I agree with them. Hell some of their rather renowned art-history professors have a healthy interest in la Fee Verte.

Of course the majority of absinthe-drinkers drank it just for the feeling (simple inebriation or other), or because of the addiction. Perhaps it is the same now, but as I said, why do you drink it then??? Even if it is that way, there may still be people who put it to a more interesting use.

Now I don't claim that my kowledge on this subject rivals yours. However I have read enough, and heard enough, from historical and contemporary artists, thinkers and academics to know that many of them never achieved your realization that it is merely booze. It may simply be that they naively romanticize absinthe, but I will respectfully prefer their opinion to yours.

Roq

P.S. I have never attempted to Romanize absinthe, my friends from Rome might though. I assume that is what you meant since asbinthe is already written with the Latin alphabet and I doubt that anyone could convert an atheistic drink like absinthe to Catholicism. :>

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page