Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Any absinthe in New Orleans?

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum Archive thru June 2002 » Archive Thru May 2002 » Any absinthe in New Orleans? « Previous Next »

Nolamour
Posted on Saturday, June 1, 2002 - 8:26 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hmmm...

I wish I had known...pardon for not checking the forum sooner. I could have given you the Royal tour. Did you make it to the new and improved Old Absinthe House, Since you were in the Quarter? Pirates Alley? Could have shared some Pernod. Next time.
Mogan_David
Posted on Saturday, June 1, 2002 - 7:09 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Thank you everyone for your suggestions about New Orleans.

I'm back from my trip. I spent most of my time working, but I did get a chance to stroll throught the french quarter and had a very nice dinner at a place who's name I can't remember.

I got my bottle of Herbsaint and it wasn't bad. It was quite sweet and didn't require any sugar. It has a very pleasant taste. With a nice herbal complexity similar to absinthe.

However on Friday, my order from SC arrived and I have replenished my real absinthe stock with a bottle of NS and Segera.

I haven't decided yet which I like the best. The NS has a strange peppery flavor and scent. The Segera seems much more subdued. Both are very nice and I had a very enjoyable time last night sampling them both.
Nolamour
Posted on Wednesday, May 29, 2002 - 8:55 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

The only thing I have, at the moment, is a nostalgic picture of the Old Absinthe House on my site.

http://www.neworleansvenue.com/best.html

Can you find the fountain? I truly miss this place. The "new and improved" House just doesn't hack it.
Verawench
Posted on Tuesday, May 28, 2002 - 2:46 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

*feels warm and fuzzy inside*
Wolfgang
Posted on Tuesday, May 28, 2002 - 5:13 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Vera's site :

http://www.beautyandruin.com/absinthe/
Artemis
Posted on Tuesday, May 28, 2002 - 4:04 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Herbsaint can be bought in New Orleans at a very reasonable price.

Visit Vera's Beauty and Ruin webpages and read my account of a trip to New Orleans last year. Lots of tips in there.
String
Posted on Monday, May 27, 2002 - 9:28 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Morgan,
I asked the same question earlier in the spring. Do a subject line keyword search for 'Honeymoon in New Orleans' and you will find lots of great ideas. I went to most of the places suggested and had a great time. My favorites were Lafittes Blacksmith Shoppe, Napoleon House and Coops. My wife's favorite was the D Day museum.
Have fun
Marccampbell
Posted on Monday, May 27, 2002 - 4:33 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

mogan,

get off Bourbon st. and wander around all the other little streets and avenues.

I lived in the French Quarter in the early '70s.
Its one of my favorite places. But, you can lose your mind there.
Mogan_David
Posted on Monday, May 27, 2002 - 4:28 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks Marccambell.

Actually, I kind of like hippies, I even married one. We just agree to disagree about politics.

I'm actually a nice guy and hardly ever swear. It's just that I have a couple of buttons, and one got pushed.

I realize Herbsaint is pastis, but I still would love to give it a try. I'm waiting rather impatiently for a shipment from SC, I think the Herbsaint will make the waiting a little easier.

Have you been to NO very much? It seems that I am going quite frequently on business. I hadn't had much time to enjoy the city, but I did get to spend a little time on Burbon street a couple of weeks ago, and now I'm hooked. It seems to have something for everyone, even right-wing gun toting computer nerds from Texas. :-)
Verawench
Posted on Monday, May 27, 2002 - 3:21 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

BUT
Marccampbell
Posted on Monday, May 27, 2002 - 3:15 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

mogan,

watch out, there are alot of hippies in the French Quarter.

Central Grocery for a muffulatta.
Praline Connection for ribs.
Nola for upscale cajun.
Howlin' Wolf for music.

Herbsaint is not real absinthe.
Mogan_David
Posted on Monday, May 27, 2002 - 1:36 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I'm off tomorrow for beautifull New Orleans. I'm hoping to pick up a bottle of Herbisant, but I'm curious if there is any absinthe to be had in NO.

If anyone has any suggestions for things to do or see in NO, I'd love to hear them.

MD

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page