Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Absinthe Restaurant SF

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum Archive thru June 2002 » Archive Thru May 2002 » Absinthe Restaurant SF « Previous Next »

Herb
Posted on Monday, June 3, 2002 - 5:47 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

And they have raclette on the menu. Yeeha!
Gastonbeauvais
Posted on Monday, June 3, 2002 - 3:49 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Actually, if you're going to be booting around French restaurants in the Bay Area, La Note in Berkeley is quite enjoyable with its outdoor seating. Get there early on a weekend or be prepared to stand in line, though...and bring your own flask of abs...they only provide water pitchers and the handily wrapped imported sugar cubes.
Nascentvirion
Posted on Friday, May 31, 2002 - 7:16 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

They also have a really nice website. I've seen it somewhere. I believe I found it using the google search engine.
Absinthespoon
Posted on Friday, May 31, 2002 - 7:03 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Absinthe is one of my favorite restaurants. Not really for the "absinthe" connection, but because it is a really good French bistro.
Pikkle
Posted on Friday, May 31, 2002 - 2:56 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

yes, let's rally now...
oh, never mind, it's raining...
*yawn*
Traineraz
Posted on Friday, May 31, 2002 - 12:34 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I wonder if the patrons know that they aren't GETTING absinthe? Who knows, perhaps it will lead for a push for legalization.

Stooge - I hope "the new Sebor" isn't that Nasty Sebor Strong I got a few months back . . . (Have I ever mentioned that it was nasty?)

If it is, I hope your tastes are quite different from mine, because I thought it would make a wondrous drain cleaner. No louche, kind of oily-looking, smelled like rubbing alcohol, tasted like bitter rubbing alcohol, and BIG hangover. Four bottles? Might be useful in a punch of some sort, or in cups under a warming pan if you run out of Sterno.

Of course, I usually end up with the Spanish absinthes, which are (in my mind) too sweet for sugar. I have a bottle of the lovely red Serpis (a favorite) and of Segarra (a new one for me) on the way from SC.
Larsbogart
Posted on Thursday, May 30, 2002 - 11:20 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Talk to my lawyers: Dewey, Cheatem & Howe.
Nolamour
Posted on Thursday, May 30, 2002 - 9:36 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Emile,

Thanks for the update...My X lady-friend that lives in the bay says she passes it all of the time, but has yet to venture forth. We are supposed to "check it out" soon when I make it West. I always wondered about that place...I guess the burger will be the choice rather than the drink. I can't wait to watch all the patrons.

Come to Nawlins and we can all go to "The Old Absinthe House" - They have secret rooms upstairs. oops...that was a secret.
Threestooges
Posted on Thursday, May 30, 2002 - 6:56 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Woob Woob Woob -

Very good day, when I arrived home from work, I had a package from Le Fee Verte Denmark. It only took 10 days. I received a bottle of Oxygenee, Deva 70, and Pernod 68. Over the next few days I will be trying each. The first to be opened was the Oxygenee. After the ritual, 4:1 with a cube, I was quite please with a well balanced drink. It left me warm and relaxed, or was that the Livermore heat. It was not at all like the Pastis of the US. The 55% was very nice and it did not have that sweet Licorice flavor.

I have 4 bottles of the new Sebor's coming soon, so I hope to comment on those as well. The order was processed yesterday, and shipped today. According to the person at www.seborabsinth.cz it will take between 7 to 21 days.

Your favorite Stooge...
Nascentvirion
Posted on Thursday, May 30, 2002 - 6:39 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Wheres Iggy ??
Threestooges
Posted on Thursday, May 30, 2002 - 6:36 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hay Moe, Hay Larry...

Interesting, are they selling Absinthe or the newly improved just in time for the US market Absinta or perhaps Pastis. Most of those are to sweet for sugar anyway.

Your favorite Stooge...
Robertsmith
Posted on Thursday, May 30, 2002 - 6:10 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Lets get in with someone who knows the security codes there and steal that bottle. I suppose they have the shroud of Turin on the wall in the mens room too. I'm not joking, the next time I go to SF I'm taking that bottle.
Mr_Rabid
Posted on Thursday, May 30, 2002 - 6:04 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Or, kill them all.

Actually, I guess you could do both if you had the time.
Emileguysmiley
Posted on Thursday, May 30, 2002 - 4:58 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I had lunch at absinthe yesterday the hamburger was good. The place seems to do very good business. What was funny was watching all of the old Hayes Valley people ordering "absinthe" and being brought little absente glasses with one sugar on a absente spoon, along side a glass of ice and tiny carafe of water. That would've been funny enough but then you got to watch them take the spoons and hold them over the ice, then dump the absente over the sugar onto the ice. The anise all solidified and the sugar remained on the spoon undesolved. This wasn't a one time thing four or five people did this while I was there. I think the waiters were telling them that was how it was done.

The walls are painted with murals with diners in the restaurant driking Pernod absinthe. Next to the bathroom they have a bottle of Neto Costa and a bottle of Hills in a locked glass case. Accross from the bar they have a bottle of ... no kidding ... a perfectly preserved sealed bottle of Pernod Fils absinthe 68%. It was GIVEN to the owner of the restaurant by the owner of the Sir Francis Drake Hotel who found it collecting dust in their wine vault.

I had a "absinthe burger" and an "absinthe pink lemonaide" which was non-alcoholic and ginger flavored. For desert I had the lavender creme brulee. If you're in the city you should take the 21 up Hayes and check out their bottle of Pernod.

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page