Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Archive through May 30, 2002

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum Archive thru June 2002 » Archive Thru May 2002 » Film, you say? » Archive through May 30, 2002 « Previous Next »

Larsbogart
Posted on Thursday, May 30, 2002 - 2:01 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I have a photo of Toto I wish I could post, but sorry, I cant make it work.
Aroquentin
Posted on Thursday, May 30, 2002 - 1:51 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Wow, you are a fount of wisdom on Toto, certainly deserving of being ordained fast-food royalty. I will mention all this to my friends the next time I talk to them.

Thanks again,
Roq
Larsbogart
Posted on Thursday, May 30, 2002 - 1:30 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

You're welcome Aroquentin, at least someone around here appreciates me, where's my Burger King Crown?
Maybe I can help, in my family is a famous Italian Actress
[No, No again!]
Try these for the festival:
Steno's "Toto Diabolicus"
Monicelli's "Big Deal on Madonna Street"
Mattoli's "The Poor and the Noble"
Zambuto's "Hands Off Me"
Mastrocinque's "Men and Corporals"
Palermi's "St John the Baptist Beheaded"
Mattoli's "Toto Peppino and the Hussy"
Mastrocinque's "Toto and the Con Man"
Bianchi's "Toto Peppino and the Berlin Wall"
Mattoli's "Toto Fabrizi and Todays Young Folk"
Monicelli's "The Passionate Thief"
Mastrocinque's "The Gang of Honest Men"
Pasolini's "The Hawks and the Sparrows"
Steno's "Toto Against the Four"
Steno's "The Two Colonels"
Aroquentin
Posted on Thursday, May 30, 2002 - 1:08 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks Larsbogart! I want to see them, you don't happen to know of a source that sells to the US do you? Otherwise I'll have to wait for a friend to find them and bring them over here.

Actually some friends (Italiani naturalmente) of mine have been thinking of trying to setup a little Toto film festival in LA S.F. or NYC but not sure if there would be enough interest. That would be a hell of a way to see them.

Roq
Larsbogart
Posted on Thursday, May 30, 2002 - 12:54 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Toto classic's:
"The Hawks and the Sparrows" by Pasolini. [Uccellacci E Uccellini]

Monicelli's "The Passionate Thief" with Anna Magnani. [Risate di Giota]

Mattoli's "The Poor and the Noble" [Miseria E Nobilta]
Aroquentin
Posted on Thursday, May 30, 2002 - 12:45 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Toto is classic too! And damn hard to get ahold of, someone brought me some tapes back from Italy but they ain't the really good stuff. LOL, his outrageous walk reminds me of my ex-girlfriend.

Roq
Larsbogart
Posted on Thursday, May 30, 2002 - 12:36 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Two words: "Toto".
Not Dorothys little dog you idiot, the Italian Toto.
Larsbogart
Posted on Thursday, May 30, 2002 - 12:35 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

One word: Pasolini's "Salo".
Aroquentin
Posted on Thursday, May 30, 2002 - 12:19 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Bjacques, I also found Suspiria and Inferno rather lacking after the buildup some of my Italian friends had given them. Strangely when they watched them with me they told me that the films were pretty bad and didn't compare to the memories of seeing them in their youth.

However, when it comes to Argento, the absolute classic and prototype for the entire horror genre (particularly the "Halloween" movies and similiar) is PROFONDO ROSSO. A true classic, it is very campy, scary and has brilliant music and cinematography.

Another excellent Argento film is QUATTRO MOSCHE DI VELLUTO GRIGIO, which has a fabulous and innovative opening scene.

As to other Italian films, La Dolce Vita is beautiful and poignant and timeless. Personally I like Benigni too, though most of his comedies are pretty lowbrow. A great and oft-overlooked one is "Non ci Resta che Piangere" in which he costarred with Massimo Troisi (of "Il Postino" fame, who passed away in '94). This is a hilarious and intelligent film about time-travel, believe it or not. The two heros mysteriously find themselves back in 15th century Italy and they have some very amusing adventures. They try to impress people with their knowledge of modern technology but soon realize that they don't know too much about the workings of 20th century inventions.

As to comedy, the films of Carlo Verdone define the genre. He can be absolutely hilarious or just silly. His early films, "Bianco, Rosso, Verdone" and "Un Sacco Bello" were a brilliant portrait (and biting parody) of various types of Italian characters from different regions and classes. The Boro (translates to something like... well a person with a lowclass mentality that makes every effort to appear cool, rich and macho) for example, or the Ciccorione (sort of post-hippy, new-age intellectual), as well as several typical Roman personas. Unfortunately these films are only available in Italian but you can understand them with a pretty small vocabulary, hehe and watch them with some Romans to get the extensive and necessary explanations of all the cultural references. There is a recent Verdone movie available in English called "Sono Pazzo di Iris Blond" I think the English title is just "Iris Blond" which has some really fantastic parts and the standard melancholy ending (not a spoiler as all but one or two Verdone movies have this kind of ending).

Roq
Robertsmith
Posted on Thursday, May 30, 2002 - 9:25 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I actually won my state spelling bee in 4th grade. The winning word was scabbard. Unfortunately, the only word I can spell correctly anymore is absinthe.
Admin
Posted on Thursday, May 30, 2002 - 8:58 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

sorry robert, you have NO IDEA the brawls that used to happen around simple spelling errors around here.

take it like a chuck on the chin. they're being nice. heeehehee.
Robertsmith
Posted on Thursday, May 30, 2002 - 8:53 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

OK, film forum spelling bee. If I were writing a review for a newspaper, I'd look like an ass, but since it's a public domain forum, whatever, the point is Il Mio Viaggio is an excellent documentary and the only one of its kind. What's great about it is that Scorsese shows rather extended clips from these films and so you really do get much more emotional impact than you normally would from a typical documentary of other films. Also just his enthusiasm is enough to keep you paying attention for the full 4 hours.

Suspiria was great, especially for its beautiful colours and sets, especially on that new DVD double disc, but the repetetiveness of that goblins song becomes quite grating after awhile. You can't go wrong with Argento though. Hmmmm, why wasn't he in Martys documentary?
Rimbaud
Posted on Thursday, May 30, 2002 - 8:13 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

That would be SICILY.
Marccampbell
Posted on Thursday, May 30, 2002 - 12:35 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

robert,

in a forum dedicated to film, you shouldn't be surprised that you were corrected when you misspelled the name of one of the world's great directors. How was I pissy? I merely spelled Scorsese's name correctly. Its a name that is constantly being misspelled.
Robertsmith
Posted on Wednesday, May 29, 2002 - 11:48 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Actually, Marc, if you wanna get pissy about spelling, it was actually Scozzeze in Scicily (did I spell that right?), which was changed to Scorsese once they moved to the US. I spelled Viaggio right though, but who cares? Typical to comment on the spelling of the directors name rather than the content of the film itself. Hope Marty doesn't find out I spelled his name wrong on the absinthe forum, otherwise he might fire me, or at least spell my name wrong in the credits for Gangs of New York! (apologies to others for being shamelessly name droppy, but sometimes people need to be put in their place...)
Marccampbell
Posted on Wednesday, May 29, 2002 - 8:25 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

SUSPIRIA is magnificent on the big screen. I saw a pristine 70mm print back in the '70s at the Pacific Film Archives. Gorgeous. Avoid seeing it on video. Get the brand new dvd transfer
Bjacques
Posted on Wednesday, May 29, 2002 - 5:58 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Speaking of Italian films, I was pretty disappointed in both "Suspiria" and "Inferno." My friends all saw them 20 years ago, but I never got the chance, and later just didn't get around to it, until a few months ago. So I had pretty cool movies (or at least ones with better production values) envisioned to go with what were and are some of my favorite soundtracks.

Well, Suspiria was ok, but as for "Inferno"...

(move back a letter...)

Jto'u Efbui cvtz FOPVHI xjuipvu hpjoh up bmm uijt fyusb uspvcmf??
Marccampbell
Posted on Monday, May 27, 2002 - 2:56 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Scorsese.
Robertsmith
Posted on Monday, May 27, 2002 - 1:11 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

BTW, Scorcese's Il Mio Viaggio in Italia is excellent. For those of you who don't know, it's a 4 hour documentary on Italian Cinema, and it covers basically every important Italian film made. Its really interesting because Scorcese narrates it and just basically tells you why these films are incredible and why you should see them. Highly recommended if you can find it playing near you. It's exciting to have a great director tell you about great films you may not be familiar with. I had only seen The Bicycle Thief, La Dolce Vita, and 8 1/2 prior to the documentary, and now there's dozens of old Italian films on my must see list because of this documentary.
Robertsmith
Posted on Monday, May 27, 2002 - 1:04 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

really? me tarzan no read no review before. Crayons taste purple. yum yum.

Sorry just being the usual wise ass. I don't like it when people spoil plots for me either, so I'll be more careful.
Marccampbell
Posted on Monday, May 27, 2002 - 12:12 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

the SPOILER ALERT is a courtesy that is used in most print reviews and film forums.
robert, I'm glad you find it so amusing. You're so easy to entertain.
Robertsmith
Posted on Monday, May 27, 2002 - 12:03 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Don't Look Now was great. How can one not love a killer dwarf?
Plot Spoiler alert: The dwarf kills people.
Marccampbell
Posted on Monday, May 27, 2002 - 11:58 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

If you haven't seen DON'T LOOK NOW
on the big screen, you haven't seen it. The only video transfers that exist are severely cropped.

Its one of my alltime favorite films. I'll tell you why later. I don't have the time right now.
Robertsmith
Posted on Monday, May 27, 2002 - 11:51 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Spoiler Alert!

Kevin Spacey was Kaiser Soze

Rosebud was a sled.

Bruce Willis was dead the whole time.

So was Nicole Kidman.

Boba Fett is Jango Fetts cloned son.

They're all ruined now.
My god, what have I done?
Chrysippvs
Posted on Monday, May 27, 2002 - 11:45 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

"That looks the killer dwarf from Nicholas Roeg's movie DON'T LOOK NOW."

I can't think of a movie that I loathe more than that one. It was horrid. When people recommend that movie to me I dismiss the rest of their recommendations for future reference....

Did anyone here like this movie...why?

- J

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page