Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

The beginning of the end?

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum Archive thru June 2002 » Archive Thru May 2002 » The beginning of the end? « Previous Next »

Mr_Carfax
Posted on Tuesday, June 4, 2002 - 5:51 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

"Camden Town managed to fend them off"

We are just starting to see the Starbuck blight appear in Australia, although I'm skeptical that they will really make an impact...we're not big on "flavoured" coffees, and as a result of Italian immigration after WW2, we tend to go for more of the European style cafe experience.

Actually, the Sydney suburb I live in has had the pleasure of driving out an established McDonalds franchise...
Pikkle
Posted on Tuesday, June 4, 2002 - 4:52 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

you're definitely gay... that would be the icing on the cake now wouldn't it?
Mvario
Posted on Tuesday, June 4, 2002 - 4:50 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

god, I wish I were dutch
Bjacques
Posted on Tuesday, June 4, 2002 - 2:22 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Camden Town managed to fend them off, thanks to some celebrities. And still none in Amsterdam, thank the indifferent gods. It's Douwe Egberts all day for me.
Pikkle
Posted on Monday, June 3, 2002 - 9:25 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

You're just pissed cuz you didn't think of it first...
Robertsmith
Posted on Monday, June 3, 2002 - 9:23 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

That is pretty funny. You can't smoke but you can drink all the heart attack stroke high blood pressure inducing overpriced coffee you want. In my neighborhood, there are 4 Starbucks within 2 blocks of my apartment. 4!!!! Where I work, there are 3 Starbucks within 4 blocks!!! They have a hotel on boardwalk too and 3 houses on Marvin Gardens. I'm suspecting they've got a get out of jail free card too....
Mvario
Posted on Monday, June 3, 2002 - 9:05 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Fuck! Starbucks is spreading that 'no smoking' shit to Europe now?!?! "Eewww, I don't want to smell smoke, eewww, I wanna be all healthy. Eeww, I wanna live forever". Fucking crybabies. here, let me blow this Marlboro smoke up your face!
Robertsmith
Posted on Saturday, June 1, 2002 - 7:58 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Yeah, but only if Betty's selling it for $50.
Pikkle
Posted on Saturday, June 1, 2002 - 7:36 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

yeah, okay... wanna buy a steel mill for twenty bucks too???
Robertsmith
Posted on Saturday, June 1, 2002 - 4:16 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

No, it's free online. They don't give out your email to people either, I just thought it was an interesting article.
Nolamour
Posted on Saturday, June 1, 2002 - 1:06 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Ha Ha...

Yea, I thought I was smart by typing in nytimes.com and searching for "Cafe" - Got the article and clicked to read...Up comes the sign up form.

StarBUCKS (cha-ching) - Whatever...
Destiny
Posted on Saturday, June 1, 2002 - 11:32 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

What's that? Are you selling subscriptions to the NY Times?
Robertsmith
Posted on Saturday, June 1, 2002 - 9:42 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

http://www.nytimes.com/2002/06/01/business/01CAFE.html

This game of Risk is getting scarier and scarier. I guess Starbucks wasn't satisfied with their billions. When was the last time a successful European restaurant expanded in an attempt to conquer the world, hm? Greed is ugly ugly ugly ugly.

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page