Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Steam cleaning your still

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum Archive thru June 2002 » Archive Thru May 2002 » Steam cleaning your still « Previous Next »

Posted on Monday, June 3, 2002 - 1:39 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Moonman his doing it since batch #6. Before that he had to reject lot's of head, now it's almost good from the beginning.
Posted on Monday, June 3, 2002 - 8:22 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

The pot is stainless steel, the condenser copper tube.
Posted on Monday, June 3, 2002 - 5:02 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Just curious, what is your still made of? I know aluminum or pot metal will hold back quite a bit of nasty stuff if not cleaned properly.... such as a converted pressure cooker or a pot with some custom work done. Stainless or Copper shouldn't be as bad.?
Posted on Saturday, June 1, 2002 - 4:13 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

This may be old news to Hausgemachters and coms but I've only discovered it recently.

After a distillation, I scrub the pot thoroughly, I drain the coolant from the condenser, and then I boil water in the pot. For a long time.

Judging from the stink in the house and the nasty stuff that still condenses, this steam cleaning seems to work.

Whatever nasty stuff is coming out now, it won't come out in the next distillation.

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page