Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Convergence 8 after parties

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum Archive thru June 2002 » Archive Thru June 2002 » Convergence 8 after parties « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Archive through June 04, 2002Nolamour25 6-4-02  8:35 pm
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

_Blackjack
Posted on Friday, June 7, 2002 - 5:50 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Quote:

I have lived in NYC for 25 years. I've never behaved in the ways that you recommend below, and I've never been mugged.

Yes, Marc, but you are 200 pounds of rock-and-roll badass. It's unlikely anybody would mug me if I was walking around Anacostia in the middle of the night with a wad of $100's in one hand and a big bag of crack in the other (OK, maybe if it was a BIG bag of crack), just becaue I exude that kind of vibe.

Granted, assuming Trainer is good at his job, I imagine he doesn't make a very tempting victim, either.

While the classic Batman-style street muggings do take place, they aren't representative of majority of violent crime. Most violent crimes are committed by people known to the victim. I've found that avoiding the company of people involved in criminal activity, and of people who have displayed a propensity for violent behavior, is probably the single easiest way to reduce the likelyhood of becoming a crime victim.

Then again, to prove me wrong, I had a friend who got carjacked at gunpoint driving home from work recently. She was fine, inshallah, but it was exactly the "white girl from the suburbs randomly attacked by a gun-wielding black man after driving through the wrong neighborhood" horror-story which I am prone to dismiss as unlikely.
Traineraz
Posted on Friday, June 7, 2002 - 4:36 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Nola -

I just do the design, not the installation, so my fees don't run into the millions. I simply charge by the hour, plus expenses.

I'm currently pretty darned cheap ($30/hour, average in Tucson ranges from $50-75), but that's because I'm in that "starting out" stage, and don't have much to show as a portfolio beyond some work from school and a handful of plans for clients which have yet to be implemented.

And the vomiting/urinating thing sounds familiar. I left Manhattan during the gay pride parade in 1997. I was sick of the crowded noisy mess outside my door, and figured the Tunnel would be empty. I was right.
Nolamour
Posted on Friday, June 7, 2002 - 3:44 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Yes, I agree...Many of the locals avoid the French Quarter when there is too much going on. Kind of like Mardi Gras...After about 30 years of vomiting everywhere, urinating in my yard, and a plethora of other fun stuff, we tend to go on a nice vacation during that time.

The side streets are great if you know where you are going...they are my fav too. It's just that group of squatters, just hanging out - taking quick glances in your direction, that you have to be aware of.
Marccampbell
Posted on Friday, June 7, 2002 - 3:36 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

nola,

When I'm in New Orleans, I avoid Bourbon Street.
A boulevard filled with drunk tourists, conventioneers and college kids scares me. I love the sidestreets.
Nolamour
Posted on Friday, June 7, 2002 - 3:24 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I get these questions all the time from tourists wanting answers. As far as responses, they are somewhat the same as Trainer stated.

- If on Bourbon Street...Stay on Bourbon Street, venturing off to the side streets at night is a no no.
- I bet I know where you got your shoes...ON MY FEET ON BOURBON STREET...is the answer.
- Always say, I'm Local.
- Lastly, and I learned this from experience when working on the beloved street.
If you know you are being followed, put your thumb in your back pocket, this indicates to the stalker that you know you are being followed...and for some reason this works. It's just a local code for everyone down here.

Trainer...City Park is working on putting in an Authentic Japanese Garden and the price is in the Millions...so, what's your price? :-)
Traineraz
Posted on Friday, June 7, 2002 - 2:52 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Marc -

People who aren't from larger cities are often already nervous and feel that they have no control over what happens to them. A set of behavioral guidelines can help give them a sense of control. This, in turn, gives them some confidence, making them less of a target.

Confidence and awareness are the keys. These guidelines (which are everything I was told BY New Yorkers when I moved there) help to promote awareness and encourage people to at least appear confident.

If someone is made more nervous by them, that is an unfortunate and unintended outcome.

Incidentally, here in Tucson (the sticks, ya know), the University of Arizona promotes similar guidelines (like traveling in groups, staying around busy areas, and being aware of what's going on around you) to help reduce violent crimes (sexual assaults, in particular) against students. Most of it is really just common sense.
Marccampbell
Posted on Friday, June 7, 2002 - 2:31 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

that advice would make me more nervous.
Traineraz
Posted on Friday, June 7, 2002 - 2:14 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Marc -

That's advice for nervous tourists, not for residents.

Once I adjusted (originally from upstate New York), I never felt fear in either Park Slope South, Brooklyn (where I was the white boy on the block) or any part of Manhattan, even 125th Street.

However, much of that is actually subway behavior guidelines suggested by the city, especially the purse and jewelry stuff.

. . . and before you mention it, I'm well aware that NYC now has one of the (if not the) lowest per-capita crime rate of major US cities.
Marccampbell
Posted on Friday, June 7, 2002 - 2:10 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

trainer,

I have lived in NYC for 25 years. I've never behaved in the ways that you recommend below, and I've never been mugged. When were you in Manhattan last? Its a great city, and considering its size, its crime rate is very low.
Traineraz
Posted on Friday, June 7, 2002 - 2:08 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Now, back to the original topic -

What purty houses you all have (or had)! (How often do you PAINT those to keep em from rotting?)

NOLA sounds nifty, I'll have to visit sometime!
But not during the summer. I can deal with heat (it's about 105 now in Tucson), but not when my swamp cooler won't work! (It's 77 inside.)

Heat OK. Heat + Humidity = Sticky and Stinky Trainer.

Hmm, maybe I can design a NOLA-Japanese garden for Nola . . . and do some design in NOLA and some in Tucson? Could be interesting . . . Get one of those musty old vacant buildings and convert it to live-work design/artist studios; the rentals/sales could pay for a unit for me!
Traineraz
Posted on Friday, June 7, 2002 - 2:01 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

As a former big city man myself (4 years in NYC), here's my advice:

Always know what's going on around you.

Always look like you know where you're going and belong where you are. If you don't exactly exude confidence (the ultimate criminal-deterrent), looking like you're in one heck of a hurry usually keeps em away, too, since you won't have time to accompany them down a dark alley.

Never ask for directions. Look at a map before you leave your hotel room.

Never break stride, even when asked, "Where'd you get your shoes?" If you can't manage the accent to sound local, try avoiding eye contact and saying "Salvation Army" as you pass by. Sometimes rudeness and attitude can be your friends. Muggers go for nice, quiet people, not obnoxious assholes.

Same response for panhandlers. A firm, "Sorry, no." No eye contact, don't break stride.

"What time is it?" Guess, you probably have a good idea what time it is. No eye contact, don't look at your watch, don't break stride.

Safety in numbers. Go with friends if you can, or stick to busy areas, especially at night, in unfamiliar towns.

Wearing jewelry? (Doesn't really apply much to men . . .) Tuck your necklaces in, turn the stones on your rings in to your palm so they don't show. Reducing temptation helps make you less a target.

If you can avoid it, don't carry a purse (again, doesn't really apply to men).
Wolfgang
Posted on Friday, June 7, 2002 - 9:33 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I'm pushing people around here to vote for San Francisco for the next Convergence. I want to bath in the Pacific ocean and I want to attend a Convergence with Kallisti (and bath the room parties in absinthe) !

In fact any place in California would be fine for me...

And if it's Vegas (and I really don't understand what's gothic about Vegas), well, at least I'll have a chance to pay a visit to Marc if he's still around.

So anyway, it looks like the C9 will be soaked in absinthe (and this time I won't be stupid and I'll pass a big order to the Moonman...or to Jade, depends...).

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page