Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

HELP!! Going to Vienna, need info!!

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum Archive thru June 2002 » Archive Thru June 2002 » HELP!! Going to Vienna, need info!! « Previous Next »

Wolfgang
Posted on Wednesday, June 5, 2002 - 10:50 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

No, go there, takes lots of picture and report back and get added to Vera's site !
Pikkle
Posted on Wednesday, June 5, 2002 - 9:54 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

And stay away from the brown acid...
Greenmeanie
Posted on Wednesday, June 5, 2002 - 9:49 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Aion,
Naschmarkt, eh? I'll have to ask about it when I get there. My problem is I have NO time and TOO much to do!

According to the Mata Hari website and the schnapps museum site, they are one and the same. Plus they sell at the museum! Depending on what time I get in there on Saturday, they all but roll up the side walks for shopping after 2pm! Soooo I MAY be limited on were I can get absinth and when. The museum is open 7 days from 9am-7pm. Maybe I'll hit the markt after! Especially if the museum is quick.

Have you had experience there?

GreenMeanie
Aion
Posted on Wednesday, June 5, 2002 - 7:04 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Don´t waste your time in Vienna with
visiting that Schnapsmuseum, there are
so much other(more interesting) things to visit.
Visit the "NASCHMARKT" instead of this museum,
a bit like the French Market in NOLA, but
more orientalic.
A.
Greenmeanie
Posted on Wednesday, June 5, 2002 - 5:06 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks for the help, everyone!

Robertsmith!
Thanks for the info and the link. Gut daB Ich Deutch sprechen kann! There was a link off the Mata Hari site to the Schnapps Museum!! Open EVERY day. If I get more than a day and a night on the ground, I am so there! They advertise a 0.5l bottle for 28EU. At that price I can bring back a bunch and if it sucks too bad, I can just dump it. I'm hoping to stay at least a full day but we'll see. I'll report back next week.

-Greenmeanie
Robertsmith
Posted on Tuesday, June 4, 2002 - 9:11 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

wubba wubba wubba, that is some potent shit...
Robertsmith
Posted on Tuesday, June 4, 2002 - 9:11 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

-
Robertsmith
Posted on Tuesday, June 4, 2002 - 8:49 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

She does stink now. For those of you who don't know, Mata Hari was an Austrian female James Bond during WWII. She had some pretty amazing adventures.
For some reason, I like Mata Hari, maybe because it's very unusual for an absinthe. It has no Anise in it, which is both good and bad. I decided to have a glass of it now (after a glass of kubler to for comparison sake), and the good thing about not having anise is you can really taste the other herbs. The bottle, by the way is 50cl with the usual aluminum cap. This stuff is bitter even with sugar added. (It says bitterspirituose on the bottle) I taste fennel, hyssop, lavender, and yes I taste wormwood, and the alcohol is pretty present, to the extent that it tastes like they just took a bottle of smirnoff and threw in some herbs. It's actually worth a try just to have as something different, and it's way better than any of the Czech urine. I think it's got a lot of thujone or whatever it is in absinthe than makes you go wubba wubba wubba. Strangely, the aftertaste is exactly like Angostura bitters. Weird. It is in no way "artisinal" and tastes sloppy. That's my main criticism, but I was really surprised with how much of a secondary effect this has. Maybe there's some other poison they put in it. I don't think it's bad at all as a drink, although I do think it's not a very accurate example of absinthe. Go to the distillery and report back. I bet you a bottle of it they just pour some herbal extracts (especially the lavender) into a bunch of Vodka and stir it up and put in the green dye and fill up the bottle. Have a nice trip you lucky bastard.
Aion
Posted on Tuesday, June 4, 2002 - 8:48 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

If you want to buy Mata Hari there is one
store "MEINL AM GRABEN" in Vienna´s
1st district who offers it.
You can get Pernod 68 in a supermarkets-chain
called "MERKUR" for around $25.
A.
Pikkle
Posted on Tuesday, June 4, 2002 - 4:51 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

she probably smells really bad now... but other than that, she's good, real good...
Nolamour
Posted on Tuesday, June 4, 2002 - 2:27 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Has anyone else tried the MATA HARI?

Just wondering as it looks so bright and pretty I just want to freeze it and serve it to the kids in the neighborhood. Thanks for the idea Robert.

Seriously, is it worth looking into?

NoLa
Robertsmith
Posted on Tuesday, June 4, 2002 - 2:16 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

go here: http://www.absinthe.at/produktinfo.html.
I think you can visit the distillery and they have a museum of some sort.
Robertsmith
Posted on Tuesday, June 4, 2002 - 2:15 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

The only absinthe I know of that's readily available in Vienna is Mata Hari, which has no anise. It's better than any of the Czech but still barely absinthe. It's as green as one of those frozen Icy pops. Only 50cl as well. You can get it from Markus at www.lafeeverte.de.
And stay the hell away from Starbucks there, they're sprouting up all over Austria.
Have a nice trip.
Greenmeanie
Posted on Tuesday, June 4, 2002 - 1:59 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I'm going to Vienna on Friday night. Returning stateside Sunday. Wish I could stay longer but I can't. Can anyone tell me what to buy and where to buy it as far as absinthe is concerned?

How is the absinthe situation over there anyway? I have not noticed Vienna or Austria covered here.

I'm trying to maximize my sightseeing/drinking/buying time!!

Thanks much for the help!!!

Greenmeanie

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page