Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Archive through June 05, 2002

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum Archive thru June 2002 » Archive Thru June 2002 » The Inner Sanctum » Archive through June 05, 2002 « Previous Next »

Wolfgang
Posted on Wednesday, June 5, 2002 - 9:55 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I also think that if a guy like Alfred Jarry where a member of this forum, he would probably be writing nonsense ... But would be a great guy to drink with.
Pikkle
Posted on Wednesday, June 5, 2002 - 9:53 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Oh you got that right sistah! Used to be lots of fun around here... now I can't get on here without my snorkel... which by the way is cornflower blue...
Pikkle
Posted on Wednesday, June 5, 2002 - 9:53 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

NO :´(!
Tortainglese
Posted on Wednesday, June 5, 2002 - 9:52 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

It's a bit ironic that an absinthe forum would object to wacky postings and resort to censorship to keep members happy. But then I dont know how it was before the "problems" came about.
Wolfgang
Posted on Wednesday, June 5, 2002 - 9:50 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I'll give my opinion about this whole issue after the NY GT...I need to see people face to face before making my mind about it.

For sure if too many people there are as stupid and rude as they are here sometime, It will be the end of my small contribution to this public forum.
For now I prefer to illusion myself thinking they are just having split personality disorders that only appear on the forum. Anyway I'm sure there will be very interesting people present (guys don't leave me alone with the frat boys!).

Maybe I'm more courageous than Marc by bringing my girlfriend there but anyway, if it turns bad I'll just snatch back my Wolfsinthe and head back to the hotel or some NY goth club and have fun anyway.

Marc, forget about the minority of thread hijackers and come have a drink of Wolfsinthe at the GT !
Pikkle
Posted on Wednesday, June 5, 2002 - 9:41 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I think there should be an "elitist absinthe forum" definitely... it's absolutely tiring everyday reading all this disingenuous and often times trite pseudo-philosophic café rhetoric trying to derive some new bits of information about anything absinthe related, especially when some of the threads a clearly off topic all together. You know why I interject my non-sequitous babble? Because it has about as much relevance as fifty percent of what's posted here by these so called elitists. Please, let them have their own forum and we can just stay here where we enjoy our own version of warm fuzzy feelings...
Forum: A public meeting place for open discussion.
I suppose you wouldn't be able to call this new one a 'forum' now would you...
Robertsmith
Posted on Wednesday, June 5, 2002 - 9:37 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

YES, and I want anyone who isn't up to Marcs snuff to be given 10 demerits and suspended from recess for a day...
Tortainglese
Posted on Wednesday, June 5, 2002 - 9:29 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I am a "newbie" so maybe my opinion doesnt count, but I have learned a lot here. I have found books to read, reliable sources to purchase from, and good advise on what to drink. My absinthe experience has greatly expanded because of the forum. I can't say a lot about absinthe because I dont know a lot. It is for the pros to comment and for me to learn from them.

If the thread is not interesting, dont read it, much like changing the tv channel. The crazy comments are just jokes. I dont think anyone means to be a menace.

I subscribe to other forums, not absinthe related. When members misbehave they are moderated or banned.
Pikkle
Posted on Wednesday, June 5, 2002 - 9:29 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Robertsmith? You'd like the icons in cornflower blue too, right?
(Say yes)
Robertsmith
Posted on Wednesday, June 5, 2002 - 9:20 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Sexual innuendo too taboo? Angry retaliation forbidden? That means Marc would be the first to get booted. Also keep in mind that "half witted, and boring" are entirely subjective terms. If you really want this forum to be Kallisti ejecting anyone who she thinks has made a boring or half-witted comment, go for it. Lets see what happens. If this forum turns into people getting booted who aren't in line with the elitist status quo, then I want nothing to do with that sort of dictatorship. I support the current state of anarchy the forum is in. WE MAKE OUR OWN RULES. Marc just can't handle that....
Nolamour
Posted on Wednesday, June 5, 2002 - 8:59 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Banning is the ultimate answer. No secret forum needed.

It seems there are 3 areas of concern by certain users.

1) Sexual comments
2) Angry retaliation and
3) Short, half-witted, yet boring and irrelevant comments.

Just ban the user after one warning. But, what the heck do I know? I'd probably get myself banned in the process...hehe.
Verawench
Posted on Wednesday, June 5, 2002 - 8:12 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I have plenty to say on the subject and I will, when I get home from work.

But, for the moment: What a bunch of horseshit.
Pikkle
Posted on Wednesday, June 5, 2002 - 8:06 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I'd like the icons in cornflower blue
Admin
Posted on Wednesday, June 5, 2002 - 7:58 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I've had what I would consider an overwhelming response in favor of a private room. I do understand the concerns of those who question it. But I need to take stock, do the research & testing, weigh the options, and see what we end up with.

It's always worth a whirl!

Please continue to send me your opinions, or post them here. I can't make decisions if folks don't speak up!
Artemis
Posted on Wednesday, June 5, 2002 - 6:18 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Marc, I was just kidding, but I haven't gotten any email from you since we discussed that computer virus some time back.

I'd like to hear what you have to say.

Please send it again.
Lordhobgoblin
Posted on Wednesday, June 5, 2002 - 6:15 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Kallisti,

This is your forum. If you (and you alone) feel that some people are fucking it up then ask them to leave and then cancel their membership. This is not a forum open to all by right.

I really don't see the need for an inner forum, what's wrong with this one? All that is needed is some ground rules, warnings and evictions if necessary.

An inner forum is just an excuse for a cozy, intolerant clique. Will it be a closed shop? Is that what you want? If not then what ultimately, over time will be the difference between it and this forum?

I suppose it all depends whether you want to frequent an anarchic punk-rock stripper bar or a masonic gentlemen's club.

Hobgoblin
Lordhobgoblin
Posted on Wednesday, June 5, 2002 - 6:01 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Marc,

Personally I have found the forum much more bearable in recent months. Yes there are a lot of people here who know sod all about absinthe, but then everybody has to start somewhere. And if people want to talk about sex then big deal (your opposition to this is a bit rich coming from a man who once started a thread called 'God's Cunt'). What I find more bearable is that there seems to be far, far less vicious personal insults going on here than there used to be.

I am also happy to see that the cozy clique that once seemed to suffocate this forum has been broken down. There is now no longer a 'consensus' on anything on this forum. There is no longer an 'official party line' on anything. Someone could even come on here now and say "I like Hills" without being attacked by all and sundry. The 'cosy clique' thing that existed here for a long time was a pain in the ass to those who weren't part of, or didn't want to be part of, the clique. The forum is truly more anarchic than it has been for at least the past 2 years, why yearn for the days of the comfortable 'cozy-clique', the rule of the 'forum-establishment'?

You like to talk about art, film, music and theatre and that's fine but they're not really my cup of tea. I like to talk about politics, football and religion. Others have their own preferences but that does not make your preferred topics of discussion more worthy.

If people want to create another forum then fine, I'm not opposed to that. For the time being I'm quite happy here thankyou. If you want to create the 'good old days' of 6-12 months back then I'd rather stay here (6-12 months ago this forum was a very nasty place indeed).

Marc, if you say there are 3 or 4 people here that are fucking things up then you ought to back up your insinuations honourably and name them so that they can openly defend themselves if they wish. You say the forum knows who they are, well I for one don't know who they are (perhaps this makes me one of them). If you don't name them then anyone who didn't receive an e-mail from you is slurred. I don't care that I didn't recieve an e-mail but I don't like being potentially slurred.

Hobgoblin
Nascentvirion
Posted on Wednesday, June 5, 2002 - 5:48 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Marc,

If & when you do create another forum, whats to stop the "evil doers" from getting and infesting the secret society ? If this is such a big problem why not just ban people in the first place instead of going through all the trouble of creating a whole new forum ? That would just leave the admin doing more work. If it's in the interest of the people though I support it is a good idea. Just my opinion... Doesnt matter much.
Marccampbell
Posted on Wednesday, June 5, 2002 - 4:40 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

artemis,

I most definitely did e-mail you.
Artemis
Posted on Wednesday, June 5, 2002 - 4:33 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

> half the forum members are men with female
> online names (like Verawench and Artemis)!

I'm a man, but the fact that Verawench is a man is quite a revelation. You must know something I don't know. She sure had me fooled.

FWIW, the fantasy Artemis conjured here recently by a fevered imagination indeed, the Artemis who hates homosexuals, had me ROTFLMAO. Some of my closest friends have been homosexuals. The remarks that were taken as anti-fag were anti-punk. There's definitely a difference.

Marc, you didn't email me. I'm so hurt ........
Thegreenimp
Posted on Wednesday, June 5, 2002 - 12:36 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I think it's time for some type of change.
Whether it's an alternative forum, or just simply a few more moderators, something has to give,.........it's not fun anymore.
Jay
Marccampbell
Posted on Wednesday, June 5, 2002 - 12:23 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

trainer,

I am not being insulting "to most anyone who posts in this forum". I am being insulting to 3 or 4 people who deserve to be insulted. They've made this forum close to unbearable. They know who they are, and the rest of the forum knows who they are. In an effort to keep this from turning into a fight, I'm not naming names.

I hope that those of you have e-mailed me in support of my position, will have the courage to speak up.

And I fully expect to hear from people who strongly disagree with me.

Instead of heavily moderating the entire absinthe forum or banning people, I am suggesting we
create an alternative forum for those who are fed up with the current one.
Marccampbell
Posted on Tuesday, June 4, 2002 - 11:50 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

trainer,

the "private" forum will be an option for those who desire it, and it will only exist if there is a demand for it. So far, according to e-mail that I've received, there seems to be a genuine interest in such a forum. No one will be forced to participate. I will not moderate it. The administrator will.

Thanks for the feedback.
Traineraz
Posted on Tuesday, June 4, 2002 - 11:36 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Marc -

I imagine, were your intent to create an alternate (possibly moderated) forum focusing on poetry, art, literature, etc., that it would have been far more efficient (and polite) to simply suggest such a forum.

Instead, you have gone out of your way to be rude and insulting to most anyone who posts in this forum, whether they have ever been anything but polite to you in the past, or otherwise.

While I would certainly appreciate discussions on topics other than sex (which I agree seems to arise with astonishing regularity), I would not care to join a new forum of which you were a founder. I do not care to associate myself with those who would respond positively to your "superiority."

As far as being gay? If some queen is afraid to be openly gay in THIS forum, perhaps he needs to examine his feelings toward heterosexuals, and determine why he finds them so threatening. I have no concern about people here knowing that I'm a cocksucker, especially when half the forum members are men with female online names (like Verawench and Artemis)!

Incidentally, I do breathe through my "gently parted lips." It's far superior to the suffocation that would likely result from the nasal allergies I have had since I was a child. I'm sorry that my need for oxygen offends you.
Marccampbell
Posted on Tuesday, June 4, 2002 - 10:23 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I resent the fact that I no longer feel comfortable in a forum that I have been a contributor to for several years. I resent that a small group of cretins have taken over the forum through the "excessive posting of abject stupidity" (quoting a former forum regular).
The forum has turned into a circle jerk for a handful of "fuckwads" (another quote). I resent it, it angers me, it disgusts me. But, instead of abandoning the forum, I am proposing that we create a "secret absinthe society", an inner sanctum for those of us who want to get away from the inane chatter of a handful of lost souls.

I e-mailed kallisti, and other members of the forum, suggesting that an alternate venue for discussion be created within sepulchritude.com. We have lost alot of valued members of this forum due to the incessent deluge of bullshit that has come to dominate almost every thread. I have received e-mail from at least a dozen people who have given up on the forum because of the puerile content that exists here. The forum has been hijacked by idiots. In almost ever instance where a thread starts out with intelligence and civility it degenerates into garbage. And the garbage attracts garbage. I genuinely feel that this forum, which I have enjoyed for over 3 years,
has deteriorated almost to the point of no return.
Threads about music, art, film, literature have been impossible to maintain because they are constantly being interruped by the "boner brigade", a small but vocal cult of monkey worshipping mouthbreathers.

kallisti is in agreement with me that something must change.
We are discussing the possibility of creating
an option for those of us who have grown tired
of being interrupted on a constant basis by people who seem to think they own the place.

I have received e-mail from a semi-regular participant in the forum who is uncomfortable about letting some people here know that he is gay. He's actually afraid of being ridiculed. Homophobia is shameful no matter where it exists, but in a forum dedicated to a drink that was imbibed by Wilde, Rimbaud and Verlaine, its outrageous!

Its appears that some of you, specifically the creeps, spend most of your time here. Is it because you have nowhere else to go, no one else to talk to? If that's the case, you might ask yourself why. Perhaps no one wants to be in your company. I know of many absinthe drinkers who are avoiding you like the plague.

As for the folks who have had enough, if you are interested in being a participant in a "private" forum, feel free to e-mail me or kallisti. kallisti is more than willing to try to find a way to accomodate the folks who have been alienated by the nature of the forum's current content. She, more than anyone, would like to see her creation flourish and soar, as opposed to being dragged through the mud. She deserves the respect of the people she has invited here.
There is a difference between free speech and
unfettered idiocy. There is a difference between passion and pathology. Have some of you forgotten basic social decorum? It seems so. You have spat, shit and pissed on kallisti's persian rugs.
And as her friend, I am asking you to have some respect or get the fuck out!

There will be updates regarding the alternate forum.

Marc

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page