Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Archive through June 05, 2002

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum Archive thru June 2002 » Archive Thru June 2002 » The Inner Sanctum » Archive through June 05, 2002 « Previous Next »

Robertsmith
Posted on Wednesday, June 5, 2002 - 11:42 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

`
Artemis
Posted on Wednesday, June 5, 2002 - 11:31 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

My own (now suspended) departure had more to do with disgust with myself than anything that happens here.

I don't find it difficult to discuss absinthe or anything else in which I'm interested in this place; I can ignore the noise, just as if I were in a biker bar discussing absinthe, I could ignore the noise of the Harleys, or in a country bar, I could ignore Waylon Jennings on the Joot Box. For a while. But if a place were available down the street where I could discuss absinthe in a quieter setting, where people more likely to share more of my interests tended to gather (Hob's example of the Masonic lodge is a perfectly good example), I would definitely be spending more of my time there and eventually abandon the other places altogether.

But then I don't have a problem with secret societies; they've always interested me.

I still don't know what Marc's plan was because I didn't receive it.

I also recognize the importance of, and value the contributions of, those graffiti artists (of which Head P. was not the first but was certainly the foremost) who spray the walls up in here and cut the occasional fart to knock us off our elitist pedestals and remind us absinthe AIN'T all that and there's nothing special about us for liking it, or knowing a lot about it.

There's nothing wrong with this forum that (for me) can't be cured by me leaving. But I'm also 100% behind Kallisti in whatever she decides to do, because I care more about Kallisti than I care about this forum. That's the truth, Ruth.
Anatomist
Posted on Wednesday, June 5, 2002 - 11:21 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I find it ironic that people who will post every incidental thought that passes through their addled brains would object to the 'elitism' of what is being proposed. I, for one, can't think of anything more arrogant than publishing one's every random synaptic firing for public consumption without pausing to consider whether it is interesting or relevant to the conversation. No one here has such a gorgeous mind that everyone wants to watch them masturbate with it in public.

As for Hobgoblin's 'cosy-clique' theory - sounds like bullshit to me. If you want everything to be interpreted as a political conspiracy, ask a disgruntled communist...

I don't feel like I'm part of any clique. I do feel like this has become a peurile place inhibitive of any dialogue with quality and intelligence above the level of what can be seen on "The Man Show" on Comedy Central. If I want that kind of thing, I'll watch the show - they're a hell of a lot more funny and clever.

The idea that Marc should just give up and leave instead of starting some shit seems like a pretty silly attitude, though common amongst "mouth breathing" americans: use stuff up, spoil it, waste it, pollute it, then move on and leave the mess for someone else to clean up. If obnoxious idiots, drug dealers, or a WalMart big box started to move into your neighborhood, would you just say 'oh well', sell your house at a reduced price and leave? Maybe you would, if you thought fighting was futile and you were too impotent to do anything about it. Would you feel good about it? There's an element of home in this place to Marc, and perhaps some others - it makes sense that they would fight to preserve it. Perhaps those with shriveled or nonexistent nads wouldn't understand...

K.
Robertsmith
Posted on Wednesday, June 5, 2002 - 11:20 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

uberfrau's are so seductive, but nursery homes have better drugs....
I think i'll stay in purgatory for now...
Bryan
Posted on Wednesday, June 5, 2002 - 11:18 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining, I've gained great deals of knowledge from this forum. I'm grateful for it. But if I could learn more, specific to hausgemachte, all the better.
Admin
Posted on Wednesday, June 5, 2002 - 11:14 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

set up a secret server out in the jungles of new zealand.
Wolfgang
Posted on Wednesday, June 5, 2002 - 11:12 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Any volunteer in Germany or elswhere ?
Admin
Posted on Wednesday, June 5, 2002 - 11:09 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

exactly Wolf, thank you.
Wolfgang
Posted on Wednesday, June 5, 2002 - 11:05 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Of course such a forum should be hosted from a place where it's legal...
Admin
Posted on Wednesday, June 5, 2002 - 11:04 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

exactly. that's my problem. I don't have rules against irritating people/posts.

so we thought of creating a seperate room.

so, which one is it? uber frau or nursery home?

(I'm keeping tally)
Pikkle
Posted on Wednesday, June 5, 2002 - 11:02 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Robertsmith... I would have it no other way...
Robertsmith
Posted on Wednesday, June 5, 2002 - 11:01 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

So what are these rules then? I read the one's posted on the forums entrance and do my best to follow them.
Am I in violation of these rules? Is Pikkle? Somebody email us and tell us to shape up then. My only violation I'm aware of is referring to a wellknown absinthe dealer jokingly as Osama. I corrected the insult (that was supposed to be a joke and not sincere, hell I buy from this person!), and that was the end of it. If I'm really ruining the forum, then tell me how to fix it, and I will, and if I do not, then for chrissake excommunicate me.
Pikkle
Posted on Wednesday, June 5, 2002 - 11:01 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

And I want the "steelworkers who drink absinthe and tend to babble incessantly about nothing in particular" forum up right away then! Only those who work in hell and imbibe not just Miller Lite but Kübler Lite as well may subscribe... the format will be automatic writing only, regardless of content in the vein of Dali, Bunuel, etc... and I will be it's only member!
(Bring it on... )
Admin
Posted on Wednesday, June 5, 2002 - 10:56 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

and I will not be hosting a hausgemacht forum here. do any of you people realize the legal implications of that?

HELLO!?!?!
Robertsmith
Posted on Wednesday, June 5, 2002 - 10:55 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hobgoblin could not have put it more eloquently or simply.
Now onto a real discussion and lets be done with the elitist complainers...
Admin
Posted on Wednesday, June 5, 2002 - 10:55 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hob, I agree. That's why I'm glad Marc posted his msg here so there could be more feedback. all is being considered.

I think the thing is not so much elitist (tho there is that, I admit) but that there is a core group of old time forum curmudgeons (myself included) that have become fast friends, but are weary of the near incessant parade of toilet dribble. Some of it is funny, but it has become so overwhelming recently that I don't even read my own forum anymore. My eyes gloss over.

So, perhaps just creating a nursery home where we can sit and do our crosswords in peace ain't such a bad idea.

Quote:

WE MAKE OUR OWN RULES

No. You don't. I do.

Then again, I could flex my uber frau muscles and just boot anyone who irritates me. Watch the feathers fly then.
Robertsmith
Posted on Wednesday, June 5, 2002 - 10:52 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hogsmackers just use email and AIM anyway. If they get their forum, I get my Jena Malone and Scarlett Johanssen are the hottest girls on the planet forum. And we get cornflower blue icons....
Bryan
Posted on Wednesday, June 5, 2002 - 10:46 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I agree, a private forum would be ideal for hausgemachte discussions.
Pikkle
Posted on Wednesday, June 5, 2002 - 10:40 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

well start a hausgematche forum then... no one is stopping you
Wolfgang
Posted on Wednesday, June 5, 2002 - 10:33 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

One good reason to have a private and secure forum would be to talk about hausgematche.
Pikkle
Posted on Wednesday, June 5, 2002 - 10:22 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

hydrochloric my good man... sulfuric turns your teeth black... but I wouldn't know, I don't have any left from that nasty spindle lift accident... or was it that pressure transducer I thought looked like a Hostess cupcake? Fuck... it's all so blissfully blurry anymore... in cornflower blue.
Lordhobgoblin
Posted on Wednesday, June 5, 2002 - 10:13 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Get back to your steel mill and keep on breathing in all that sulphuric acid.
Pikkle
Posted on Wednesday, June 5, 2002 - 10:10 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

"Your overwhelming response to the private inner forum the response from a slanted audience."

I thought you were a school teacher hobbles? I wanna be in your class...
Lordhobgoblin
Posted on Wednesday, June 5, 2002 - 10:09 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Kallisti,

Your overwhelming response to the private inner forum the response from a slanted audience. Only those who were privy to the e-mails sent by Marc on the subject knew about this idea. As the recipients will have been chosen by Marc, they will have been a select bunch of like-minded people who would therefore probably be most likely to be in favour of such a forum. Therefore you have not recieved a balanced response.

The rest of us, who knew nothing of this before this thread started, have only now been able to voice our opinion. To say that you have had an overwhelming response in favour, well a load of us didn't even know about it. What a stitch up. The forum elite strikes again.

As for upset at sexual comments well check the archives for threads on 'God's Cunt', fucking Britney Spears, numerous threads on cunnilingus, and even threads on having sex with the Smurfs and Betty Boo and those are just the ones that stick in my mind. What is it with this onset of Puritanism? Has this forum been taken over by the Federation of Southern Baptist Churches.

As for Angry retaliation, well anyone who has been around here for a few years knows that there is a hell of a lot less of that nowadays than there was before and when it occurs it is nowhere near as nasty and personal as it used to be. But then I suppose amnesia tends to set in when it suits.

As to short, half-witted, yet boring and irrelevant comments well this is entirely subjective and this forum has been full of these since I've been here. I find some of these short disjointed comments hilarious. They often act as a well-deserved kick in the ass to those of us who bore on too earnestly for our own good.

Now the cosy-clique, the forum-elite has broken down and no longer holds court here. That is what this is all about, a return to the patronising, cosy-clique. If it was about having a forum safe from the destructive influences of undesirables then why not just boot people off if you feel they are out to deliberately wreck the place or who they savagely insult people?

I'm with Robert Smith on this. I support the current state of anarchy on this forum. Leave it as it is.

Hobgoblin
Tortainglese
Posted on Wednesday, June 5, 2002 - 9:59 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Supossedly Mozart was a complete drunkard wack job who told bathroom jokes to the Kings of Europe. Who wouldnt want to party with Mozart?

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page