Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Blue Velvet

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum Archive thru June 2002 » Archive Thru June 2002 » Blue Velvet « Previous Next »

Larsbogart
Posted on Saturday, June 8, 2002 - 12:20 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Rumblefish made perfect sense to me, I mean, what didnt you understand?
Rimbaud
Posted on Saturday, June 8, 2002 - 10:09 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Yes, the new Blue Velvet special edition DVD is superb! I've been waiting for this thing since last year when I heard about it. Blue Velvet is probably my favorite film of all time, or at least in my top ten. There are four "easter eggs" on the DVD, by the way. Go to lynchnet.com for directions on finding them. One of them is a great clip of Frederick Elmes, the cinematographer, talking about how they obtained a robin for the end of the film. Very funny...
Admin
Posted on Thursday, June 6, 2002 - 11:03 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

http://www.salon.com/sex/turn_on/2002/06/06/blue/index.html
Marccampbell
Posted on Wednesday, June 5, 2002 - 8:23 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Texas Chainsaw 2 is terrific.
Mvario
Posted on Wednesday, June 5, 2002 - 8:16 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2, Pick-up Artist, Super Mario Bros., Waterworld, Space Truckers, Edtv
Verawench
Posted on Wednesday, June 5, 2002 - 7:10 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

*cough* Straight Story *cough*

Fork out the thirty bucks and subscribe to lynch.com. Jump on it!
Mr_Rabid
Posted on Wednesday, June 5, 2002 - 7:03 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I think Lynch should stop being him for awhile.

You know- do something decidedly unlynchey like a cartoon show or buddy movie.

That might pull him out of this ten year rut.
Pikkle
Posted on Wednesday, June 5, 2002 - 6:35 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I love you anatomist...
Anatomist
Posted on Wednesday, June 5, 2002 - 6:30 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I've hardly ever heard anyone say anything good about RUMBLE FISH before. I always liked that movie. It even held up when I revisited it while taking film classes. I mean, you've got vintage Dennis Hopper, Mickey Rourke before he became a misogynist mutant, early Nicolas Cage, Diane Lane, Matt Dillon at his Dilloniest, the color in black and white thing before PLEASANTVILLE was an blastocyst, all kinds of awesome over the top cinematography, including groovy time lapse with Stewart Copland accompaniment (the typewriter piece alone is worth the admission price), a lecture on time by Tom Waits... yet everyone seems to think the movie is a piece of crap. What gives?

I remember Ebert's review of WILD AT HEART, which I largely agreed with. He seems to have always had a problem with Lynch's self-indulgent style... something that seems to have spun out of control at some point. I think it was with WILD, he thinks it was earlier. I don't know any details about who did what for him when, but there is such a thing as surrounding yourself with sycophants and coming to believe that your shit smells like honeysuckle.

I'm not sure if Lynch really turned a corner somewhere, or the novelty just wore off. As someone who has done plenty of desultory imagining and creating, alone and with others, once worshipped at the altar of absurdists, surrealists, smart-assists, etc... I no longer find Lynch's imaginary flights impressive - there are now hoards of unemployed art students who can and have done the same, it's just that no one is throwing money at them and kissing their asses. There's nothing to it, really - you just slap a bunch of stuff that pops into your head together and call it cool. It's gone from fresh to rot. Everything has it's day.

I used to love Eraserhead, The Elephant Man, and Blue Velvet. I'll try out the new DVD as soon as I'm able to rent it and see what happens.

K.
Crowlyman
Posted on Wednesday, June 5, 2002 - 4:28 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I absolutely love the mano a mano scene with Hopper and Walken in True Romance. Goddam is that good.
Marccampbell
Posted on Wednesday, June 5, 2002 - 3:55 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Yes, the bird with the bug in its mouth.

Sandy's dream of the robins is pretty damned funny. A summation of all the world's religions.
Pikkle
Posted on Wednesday, June 5, 2002 - 3:47 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I like the part with the bird...
Marccampbell
Posted on Wednesday, June 5, 2002 - 3:44 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

There is a montage of deleted scenes. But, its just a series of photographs. There is also a documentary on the making of BLUE VELVET. There is no director's commentary.
Destiny
Posted on Wednesday, June 5, 2002 - 3:40 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I think that Ebert's review may actually be a testament to Rossellin's hauntingly excellent performance. I wonder if he just couldn't separate the actress from her role?

Is there any additional footage - alternative/cut scenes?
Marccampbell
Posted on Wednesday, June 5, 2002 - 3:23 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

The BLUE VELVET dvd contains the televised review that Siskel and Ebert gave the film. Ebert dislikes BLUE VELVET because of the way that Lynch
handles Isabella Rossellini. He accuses Lynch of cruelly exploiting Rossellini by making her perform
"humiliating" scenes while naked. Is that a load of crap or what? The implication is that Rossellini, an actress, had no control over her own actions. Ebert missed the boat on one of the most underrated performances in cinema. If BLUE VELVET wasn't so subversive and shocking, Rossellini probably would have received an Oscar nomination. I bet its one review that Ebert would like to have stricken from his resume.
Admin
Posted on Wednesday, June 5, 2002 - 3:14 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Marc! it should be sitting on my desk when I get into work tomorrow. glad to hear it's lovely!
Marccampbell
Posted on Wednesday, June 5, 2002 - 3:12 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

BLUE VELVET has just been released on a brand spanking new DVD. The transfer was supervised by
David Lynch. Its ravishing. Frederick Elmes' cinematography has never looked better.As I was watching the film last night, I kept thinking
about how timeless it is. BLUE VELVET was hip
when it was released in 1986 and its still as cool as ever. Frank Booth is one of the great cinematic monsters. Isabella Rossellini's performance is among the most raw and naked (both literally and figuratively) ever committed to celluloid.
The film is like a record album that doesn't have
a single lousy track. Scene after scene, Lynch
surprises and amazes. Absolutely brilliant.

Dennis Hopper's filmography reads like a film cultist's wet dream.

REBEL WITHOUT A CAUSE, EASY RIDER, THE LAST MOVIE,
APOCALYPSE NOW, OUT OF THE BLUE, RUMBLE FISH,
RIVER'S EDGE,BLUE VELVET, TRUE ROMANCE, THE AMERICAN FRIEND

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page