Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Archive through June 06, 2002

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum Archive thru June 2002 » Archive Thru June 2002 » What the World Needs Now... » Archive through June 06, 2002 « Previous Next »

Marccampbell
Posted on Thursday, June 6, 2002 - 4:26 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

kallisti,

I received my copy of Fearless Vampire Killers
yesterday. We're going to discuss it in the NY Times film forum. I'll watch it tonight and let you know if the VHS version is worth owning. It was shot in widescreen and I'm sure the video version is cropped or pan-and-scan.
Admin
Posted on Thursday, June 6, 2002 - 4:19 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hmmmm. they've re-released Polanski's "Fearless Vampire Killers" on, wah, VHS! still, must have it.
Joalco
Posted on Thursday, June 6, 2002 - 4:16 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Marc ~

Thanks for the tip on the Polanski forum... I'm more familiar with his recent work, but I'm sure it'd be an enjoyable and informative experience.

And honestly, the vibes here don't get me down. We are (mostly) like-minded folk, and many of the new folks here are active (some moreso than myself -- Wolfgang, you make us all look bad! ;) ). Perhaps it's just our nature to recall "the good old days."

Or perhaps it's just the fact that I'm getting old and cranky...
Marccampbell
Posted on Thursday, June 6, 2002 - 4:14 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Larry W.,

I've tried e-mailing you. It gets returned.
Marccampbell
Posted on Thursday, June 6, 2002 - 4:03 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

joalco,

Well, I am going to work on tightening up the writing in my hardboiled, rock and roll sci-fi mindfuck, The Head Prophecies. kallisti is helping me sort thru the threads, so that I can put it all into one place. Its sloppy, but, I think there's the seed of an actual novel in there.

I had a glass of Jade last night. I do think its
wonderful. Otherwise, I've been drinking Zins.

I'm also leading a Roman Polanski forum on the New York Times website. I know you're a film freak, why not join us. Go to the nytimes.com. Find the forums and register. Its free.

Joal,

there's alot of trash talk around here. I'm as guilty as anyone. Just stay positive. Keep posting. Talk about the green fairy, movies, sex, whatever. Just don't let the bad vibes get you down.
Emileguysmiley
Posted on Thursday, June 6, 2002 - 3:58 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I've been reading the entire archive. I'm like half way after a more than month. I don't see this "golden age" the way that other people do. I see meanness and arguments and a (very) little talk about absinthe. At least now people believe that they're being funny whatever you might think.

I think that Chrissipus is rihgt, its all about how you remember it. But I have to think that the record doesn't lie.

And Don being gone has opened people up alot. Whether you like the openness is up to you but I can say that I definately never ever would have posted if he was still here. I'm sure there are other people who can say that.
Joalco
Posted on Thursday, June 6, 2002 - 3:54 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

It doesn't make me dizzy, Marc... It makes my fookin' eyes glaze over. And then I start drooling incessantly. And then I go into seizures.

I feel pretty bad about things when even Kallisti says (as she did a couple of weeks ago) that its hard for her to read the forum. This is a golden age for absinthe drinkers, quite possibly the best time in almost a century, and yet the forum seemed to have more spark and vitality when Deva and Mari Mayans ruled the roost... What gives?
Marccampbell
Posted on Thursday, June 6, 2002 - 3:50 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

yeah, its hard keepin up with all those young hipsters that post here. Makes me dizzy.
Joalco
Posted on Thursday, June 6, 2002 - 3:48 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Of course... I'm mean, I'm not fuckin' cool, and I'd wanna be there... I'm just old and cranky.

However, it would offer us old farts a bit of a respite.
Marccampbell
Posted on Thursday, June 6, 2002 - 3:45 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Actually the Inner Sanctum wasn't going to be for the cool folks. Like kallisti said, it would have been a hangout for the old and addled.
Louched_Liver
Posted on Thursday, June 6, 2002 - 3:39 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

An Inner Sanctum for the cool folks, and pining for the return of Don.
I just puked on my keyboard.
Marccampbell
Posted on Thursday, June 6, 2002 - 3:32 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I forgot about the personal information thing.
That was a big mistake.
Marccampbell
Posted on Thursday, June 6, 2002 - 3:30 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

head,

that photo in your profile looks like it was taken in kallisti's kitchen.
Admin
Posted on Thursday, June 6, 2002 - 3:30 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Don was banned for very specific reasons. being that he offered up to anyone who asked another forum member's private (and much protected) personal information.

that's it. there is no arguing that point.

once again. case closed.
Head_Prosthesis
Posted on Thursday, June 6, 2002 - 3:25 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Yeah, maybe we should just post everyone's personal information on the La Fee Verte index.
Marccampbell
Posted on Thursday, June 6, 2002 - 3:24 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I have spoken with Don and I'm not sure he would return. The jade project is all-consuming, among other things.

As I've said, I don't think Don was anymore of a provocateur than many current members of the forum, including myself. We all have moments of being over-the-top and offensive. Don was just really good at it. Plus, he went after kallisti, and considering this is her joint, that wasn't a wise move.
Dr_Ordinaire
Posted on Thursday, June 6, 2002 - 3:16 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

My vote is for Don to be back.
Verawench
Posted on Thursday, June 6, 2002 - 3:04 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Then again, maybe that wasn't spaghetti sauce... couldn't have been... now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure it was blood and bile.
Joalco
Posted on Thursday, June 6, 2002 - 3:03 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

If Don's you're dad, then Head must be your stepfather...
Verawench
Posted on Thursday, June 6, 2002 - 3:03 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

We got that spaghetti sauce stain out of the carpet. We didn't get ALL the stains out, but that big sucker just had to go.

But now we kind of miss its crusty texture, its bloody hues and its contorted shape that resembled some of Francis Bacon's great works of the mid-1950's...
Pikkle
Posted on Thursday, June 6, 2002 - 2:58 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

he's my dad!!!
Joalco
Posted on Thursday, June 6, 2002 - 2:57 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Well, I can say that Don may have crossed a line aa time or two, but his presence is missed, and his absence here is painfully obvious.

Pikkle, any one who's been on this forum for any length of time knows that Don was one of the most (if not the most) intelligent person on this forum. He's harsh, he's abrasive, but he knows much more than the majority of us here.
Marccampbell
Posted on Thursday, June 6, 2002 - 2:51 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Joalco,

there are many forum folks who miss Don.
His rants were no more offensive or disruptive than alot of what has been posted here in the past couple of months. And his shit was funnier.
Pikkle
Posted on Thursday, June 6, 2002 - 2:49 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

No... that's like saying we should let Charlie out to start a new cult because crime hasn't been whacky enough lately...
Joalco
Posted on Thursday, June 6, 2002 - 2:47 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

...is the return of Don Walsh.

A fellow forumite discussed this with me last night, and I wholeheartedly agree. Perhaps Don was the whip needed to keep these masses in shape.

He's not necessarily a one-eyed monster, but with his acid tongue and vitriol wit, he could scare some sense into these folks...

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page