Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Archive through June 07, 2002

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum Archive thru June 2002 » Archive Thru June 2002 » Dee Dee Ramone » Archive through June 07, 2002 « Previous Next »

Marccampbell
Posted on Friday, June 7, 2002 - 1:50 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

pikkle,

I was at GG Allin's last performance on the Lower East Side.

Replace Iggy's peanut butter with shit and you got GG. Nothing new there.

I don't love The Ramones because they're innovative.
I love them because they're classic.
Marccampbell
Posted on Friday, June 7, 2002 - 1:46 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

"it only matters if you're first"

so any rock and roll after let's say Chuck Berry or John Lee Hooker doesn't matter? Better yet, lets go back to Wynonie Harris and Big Joe Turner.
Thereby, making Berry and Hooker irrelevant.

Woody Guthrie cancels out Bob Dylan.
Muddy Waters cancels out The Rolling Stones.
The Beach Boys cancel out The Ramones.

There's never been nothing new in rock and roll after Louie Louie.

pikkle, you're so fucking consumed with your own fear and loathing, you can't see straight.
Pikkle
Posted on Friday, June 7, 2002 - 1:38 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

and I can say that when it comes down to it, I've much more respect artistically speaking for someone like GG Allin than Dee Dee Ramone... rock on Marc...
Pikkle
Posted on Friday, June 7, 2002 - 1:35 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Oh, perhaps I should use such phrases as "innovative" and "ground breaking?" Please... to say that it was an accomplishment to have written any of their songs is about as significant as saying that I ran twenty-four hundred tons of steel today... it only matters if you're the first and that is merely a combination of conditions and luck... still the fact remains that in the brief time I knew him, I found Dee Dee to have been the epitome of stereotypical brat rocker... I don't care if he founded the world, it justified none of his behaviour.
Marccampbell
Posted on Friday, June 7, 2002 - 1:11 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Dee Dee started The Ramones. I'd say that was a pretty powerful influence on the band.
Marccampbell
Posted on Friday, June 7, 2002 - 1:01 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

pikkle,

Dee Dee wrote alot of The Ramones best songs,
including Teenage Lobotomy and Rockaway Beach.
Calling The Ramones a gimmicky freak show betrays a real ignorance about rock and roll.

Go have Hope Sandoval's babies. She's one for the ages.
Pikkle
Posted on Friday, June 7, 2002 - 12:55 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Oh please dispense with the idolturous commentaries... he was flesh and blood and beat the sticks for a gimmicky freak show... it's only that they did it first, that's it...
Out of all the Beatles you'd have die rather than John or George, who would it be? Ringo... because he was the drummer, he was benign, he had the least amount of influence of all the Beatles... same thing with Dee Dee Ramone... I knew the man briefly and like I said before, he defined true sphincter before my very eyes... everybodies got one...
Marccampbell
Posted on Friday, June 7, 2002 - 12:37 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

"I think it takes really disturbed people to make great rock and roll, and Dee Dee was a greatly
disturbed person. I don't think he had a peaceful day on the planet."
Legs McNeil

"He was a demon in angel's disguise. He was a true rock star."
Danny Fields
Destiny
Posted on Thursday, June 6, 2002 - 7:09 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Somebody called me on the phone.
They said heyyyyy, is Dee Dee home...

First song I ever did in my first band, it seems that being a Ramone is a dangerous occupation these days.

I'm just waiting for the Stones to start dropping, that will be real the beginning of the end.
Pikkle
Posted on Thursday, June 6, 2002 - 2:46 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

everybody's got one...
Marccampbell
Posted on Thursday, June 6, 2002 - 2:45 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

pikkle,

everybody makes mistakes. I have done way too many fucked up things in my life to pass judgement on a dope-fiend rock casualty. I always felt sorry for Dee Dee. He was genuinely stupid.
Pikkle
Posted on Thursday, June 6, 2002 - 2:40 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Oh yeah, I forgot, we live in the time of zero culpability... no matter what you do, it's never your fault...
Marccampbell
Posted on Thursday, June 6, 2002 - 2:35 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Dee Dee was so brain-addled he probably didn't know what the fuck he was doing. I knew him in
'77-'78 and he was just a sweet dumb guy. He was the only Ramone that wasn't approaching the whole Ramone thing ironically.
Marccampbell
Posted on Thursday, June 6, 2002 - 2:33 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I took my daughter to see The Ramones when she was 9. Took her to see Patti Smith a few years ago. After Smith's show, my daughter said to me,
" dad you're lucky, you grew up with punk music, I got stuck with Smashing Pumpkins".
Pikkle
Posted on Thursday, June 6, 2002 - 2:33 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Knowing someone personally even after admiring their work can sometimes make everything they've done irrelavant... sure, the Ramones were cool enough but after having experienced someone like Dee Dee first hand, I just said fuck it after that... and yes, I've my fair share of stories about the prick too...
Marccampbell
Posted on Thursday, June 6, 2002 - 2:31 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

pikkle,

being a shithead has nothing to do with the music. There are very few rockers who aren't shitheads.
Admin
Posted on Thursday, June 6, 2002 - 2:30 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

criminy. I care. the Ramones were the first live show I went to when I was 14. practically weaned on 'em. we used to hijack the sound system at my highschool and blare "rock n roll high school."

for every Ramone that falls, there goes a little bit o' me.
Pikkle
Posted on Thursday, June 6, 2002 - 2:29 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Dee Dee Ramone was a shit head... he hung out in Ann Arbor in the early nineties struttin his stuff for all the posers... could always find him at the Nectarine Ballroom tryin to pick up college chicks... funny thing was, no one cared! He did knock up a good friend of mine at the time then split town... figures...
Marccampbell
Posted on Thursday, June 6, 2002 - 2:09 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

vera,

I think alot of people care. The Ramones were a big part of returning rock to its ass-kicking, anti-social roots. The Ramones created punk and gave birth to some of the best rock and roll of the past 30 years.
Verawench
Posted on Thursday, June 6, 2002 - 2:06 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

who cares...
Marccampbell
Posted on Thursday, June 6, 2002 - 2:04 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I care. The Ramones inspired me to start a rock band in 1976. One of the greatest moments of my life was when my band performed with The Ramones in Denver in '77.
Wolfgang
Posted on Thursday, June 6, 2002 - 1:33 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

RIP good O Doug.
Pikkle
Posted on Thursday, June 6, 2002 - 12:12 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

LOS ANGELES (AP) - Dee Dee Ramone, a founding member of the pioneer punk band the Ramones, was found dead of a possible drug overdose in his Hollywood home, the coroner's office said Thursday. He was 50.

Ramone, whose real name was Douglas Glenn Colvin, was found dead on the couch by his wife when she returned home at 8:25 p.m. Wednesday, said Craig Harvey, operations chief for the coroner's office. Paramedics were called and he was declared dead at 8:40 p.m.
Pikkle
Posted on Thursday, June 6, 2002 - 12:11 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

who cares...
Thegreenimp
Posted on Thursday, June 6, 2002 - 12:11 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Some one just came into my office and said Dee Dee Ramone OD'ed......anyone hear of this?
Jay

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page