Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Archive through June 07, 2002

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum Archive thru June 2002 » Archive Thru June 2002 » The Inner Sanctum » Archive through June 07, 2002 « Previous Next »

Lordhobgoblin
Posted on Friday, June 7, 2002 - 7:37 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Marc,

Personally I didn't mind Robert Smith, I thought he was OK, I liked him. I feel that he definitely did not warrant being kicked off the forum. People have said things a lot worse than Robert Smith did in the past and were not booted off the forum. People should not be booted off simply because they annoy people or upset people. I don't recall him posts being of a very personally insulting or malicious nature. I don't believe he set out to damage this forum. He just said what he felt as and when he wanted to say it. Is it such a big crime to go against the grain here? Is it such a big crime to rub people up the wrong way?

He sent me an e-mail after he got booted off and I replied to him saying that I thought he had been unjustly treated and that I couldn't see the big crime he had committed.

Anyway you asked for opinions and that's my opinion on the matter.

Hobgoblin
(If I had been e-mailed prior to Robert Smith's eviction I would have said definitely that he should stay.)
Chevalier
Posted on Friday, June 7, 2002 - 6:44 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Destiny, I agree with you ... except on one point. You write that:

"People do start potentially interesting threads but the old-timers or more experienced people seem to have become jaded and don't bother contributing anymore and so the weeds have overgrown the garden."

Fact is, they do still contribute from time to time, and they do repeat the "lessons" occasionally. It depends on their mood. It must get tiring to have to say the same things again and again, and no one here is getting paid for it, let alone tenure!
Anatomist
Posted on Friday, June 7, 2002 - 5:55 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I saw one of RS's last posts before it got deleted. He was discussing stealing public library books, and naming specific libraries where he was looking to do it again. Someone warned him about Karma, and I think he responed with some kind of 'Fuck you'. The messages were bleeped before I could finish reading both...

I think the criterea for him getting kicked out had to do with content, not just intrusiveness or diarhea keyboard.

K.
Marccampbell
Posted on Friday, June 7, 2002 - 2:27 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Taos is the birthing ground for hippie communes of the '60s. If you like your poon sublimely hairy
and your titties blue-veined and stretchmarked,
then you'll feel right at home. I love hippie chicks cause they don't shave their armpits. Its like having a woman with 3 pussies.
Destiny
Posted on Friday, June 7, 2002 - 2:21 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Musician to musician, I'm sure we could spend hours trading strip bar stories - those places are poontang mousetraps for singers. Any places in Taos?
Marccampbell
Posted on Friday, June 7, 2002 - 2:13 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

destiny,

don't talk to me about strip bars, I live in Las Vegas. The sweet smell of poontang is everywhere.

I'll see you later at The Tender Trap.
Destiny
Posted on Friday, June 7, 2002 - 2:01 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I am bored by the constant "fuck you, suck my dick" crap that eventually invades every thread, but this is a "punk rock strip bar", not a "punk themed bikini bar". The reality is that absinthe-related threads die an unnaturally quick death. People do start potentially interesting threads but the old-timers or more experienced people seem to have become jaded and don't bother contributing anymore and so the weeds have overgrown the garden.

Most people here are relatively new to absinthe and want to learn, but it now seems that the professors resent the ignorance of their students and so class is cancelled. So what else is there to do except get drunk and talk about Britney Spears' tits? If it weren't for the off-topic posts all we would hear are crickets.

Yes, things are a bit boring lately but I think it's just a season, it will pass. Kallisti set some rules a while back and has had a very gentle hand; but, if she needs to spank a few bare bottoms for the good of her little punk babies, then so be it. Creating an inner-sanctum is ridiculous, put your effort into starting interesting threads and the crap will die out.
Marccampbell
Posted on Friday, June 7, 2002 - 1:50 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

bring it on.
Pikkle
Posted on Friday, June 7, 2002 - 1:39 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Watch it! Kallisti's got a set of leather goods for ya all... a belt in the mouth and a boot in the ass!!! ARGH!!!
Marccampbell
Posted on Thursday, June 6, 2002 - 11:53 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

meat nipples,

I wouldn't worry about it. In the 5 years I've been here, I think only two people have been booted. You have to really get on kallisti's bad side to get the boot. And you rarely see her bad side.
Meat_Nipples
Posted on Thursday, June 6, 2002 - 11:45 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

wow. I am a bit of a lurker, but I read the forum frequently. Robertsmith didn't seem like he had the most to offer the forum but he is far from the most intrusive, inconsiderate and pesky forumite, imho. I am surprised and shocked. I guess all this is part of the reason I keep my mouth shut on here.
I'm not passing judgment on anyone’s decisions; I’m just genuinely surprised. I guess it came as a bit of a "reality check" to me as well.
Pikkle
Posted on Thursday, June 6, 2002 - 11:44 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

K sir ah, sir ahhhhhh....
Marccampbell
Posted on Thursday, June 6, 2002 - 11:08 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I've received some e-mail from robertsmith. He feels that he was unfairly booted from the forum. He was given no warning, nothing. Seeing as I was involved in the decision to have him booted, he came to me to ask why he was banished.
I told him that some people were frustrated by his
habit of entering every discussion without any regard for the tone or content of the conversation. He's like the guy who walks up to a table of strangers and starts gabbing away, completely self-possessed, with no respect for the people around him. If this happened in a bar or someone's living room, he'd be asked to shut up, tone it down or leave. I call it rudeness. He called it "anarchy". I'm all for freedom of
expression etc., but self-indulgent loudmouths turn me off. I told robertsmith that he seemed very pleased with himself, that he thought his every idle thought was worthy of posting for posterity. I felt he needed a dressing down, a reality check. I told him he was pissing alot of people off and driving them away from the forum. And that was it.

Having said all that, I'm not sure that robertsmith deserved to be booted without a stern warning from kallisti, or those of us who found him intolerable. Ultimately this was kallisti's decision, but when she asked me my opinion, I said "ban the asshole". I may have pushed her over the edge.
And for that reason, I'm feeling responsible for what happened to him. I know asking for other people's opinion on this situation is opening up a massive can of worms, but I am concerned that my personal distaste for robertsmiths incessent chatter may have resulted in a rush to judgement. I initially wanted to create an "alternate forum" so those of us who wanted a less "anarchic" environment could have a place to talk. But, according to kallisti, given the limitations of what this site's software can do, it would have been a logistical pain in the ass. Instead, kallisti decided to get a little tougher in moderating the forum, which I completely support, as do many other other members of the forum. As joalco said in an other thread, this is a golden age for absinthe, so why all the garbage talk? (I'm paraphrasing). Anyway,
I won't miss robertsmith, but his absence is gnawing at me. I wonder if I orchestrated a lynching, or just helped toss a loudmouth out of the bar?

I believe that kallisti is a fair person who possesses the patience of a saint. I am not questioning her decision. I am questioning my
motive in helping her to arrive at that decision.
Was I being selfish, controlling, overly judgemental?

By the way, robertsmith's e-mail messages have been as verbose and "anarchic" as the ones he posted in the forum. He's not a bad guy, but like Ralph Kramden, he's got a biiiiiig mouth.

I completely trust that the members of this forum
will respect my decision to post this message.
It is not my intent to create static or start an argument. Tonight, I have come to confess.

Damn my Catholic upbringing!

Marc
Barsnake
Posted on Thursday, June 6, 2002 - 12:55 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hard to answer - Baz - there's a couple old sayings
1. You never get back what you put in to it. - You go out and buy a bunch of chrome and stuff - it doesn't really increas the value...chances are the new buyer will just it all off and start all over.
2. Well taken care of bikes hold their value. - I bought a 92 Sportster brand new - rode the hell out of it for 4 years and sold it for $500 less than I paid for it.
3. When you sell and what part of the country you live in really matters also. - Overseas - even better. Ship it to Europe - ride it a while - sell it to pay for your trip.

So...in the paper today they are running from 94 883 for $6500 to a 2001 1200 for $12000.

If I were selling - and the bike was in great condition - I'd start at list when I bought it and be prepared to knock off $500 to %750.

If I were buyin' stay with a private party...ride the bike and offer a $1000 under list. See what happens...
Chevalier
Posted on Thursday, June 6, 2002 - 12:17 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

It ain't me. Must've been someone else who bit your pikkle. Fresh pink juicy oysters are more my style. ;-)
Pikkle
Posted on Thursday, June 6, 2002 - 11:28 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Chevalier? Is that you? Why can't you talk? Oh shit, my pikkle is in your mouth... as you were boy...
Pikkle
Posted on Thursday, June 6, 2002 - 11:28 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

You can get a new Hugger for around 7 grand... it's totally fine tool around scoot but I wouldn't go on too many cross country rides with it...
Pikkle
Posted on Thursday, June 6, 2002 - 11:27 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Alot of Detroit steel in the seventies actually came from Japan... the Pinto was made with Japanese steel body parts... great stuff to roll I'm told, beautiful shape but like you say, it would start rusting even before it hit the street...
Bryan
Posted on Thursday, June 6, 2002 - 10:49 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Baz, the sportys are so cheap due to the fact that Harley built a billion of them. There are more sportsters than people who want them. Many people start out with one and quickly want to move up to a bigger bike, and many times they want to sell them fast. I love mine, it's an oldy but a goody.
Chevalier
Posted on Thursday, June 6, 2002 - 10:33 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Yeah, I was just playing with the Pikkle's head. Or was it the Head's pickle? No, it was definitely the Pikkle's head. The big one with the brain, I mean.
Baz
Posted on Thursday, June 6, 2002 - 10:29 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

the only reason I directed it to snake was that I knew he rode bikes. I had a question for pikkle too, though. (first, hows your head?) What the fuck was wrong with detroit steel in the '60s and 70s that they started rusting on the assembly line? I've got a 69 cuda in my garage that mercifully spent the last 25 years in an old man's barn under a tarp, so it has been spared. But I can't find anything else that's not totally eaten away. Were they just cheap? Older cars don't have the problem.
Head_Prosthesis
Posted on Thursday, June 6, 2002 - 10:22 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Pikkle is a man that would know. He's not a Hog Smacker, he's a Hog Humpin' Highway Hell Hound.

His colors don't run either.
Baz
Posted on Thursday, June 6, 2002 - 10:18 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

why are they so cheap? I mean compared to other harleys. is it quality or quantity?
Chevalier
Posted on Thursday, June 6, 2002 - 10:09 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Is your name Snake, little shaver? I think not!

The Houseboy says: ONE!
Pikkle
Posted on Thursday, June 6, 2002 - 10:07 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

like 6g's...

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page