Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Archive through June 04, 2002

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum Archive thru June 2002 » Archive Thru June 2002 » Convergence 8 after parties » Archive through June 04, 2002 « Previous Next »

Nolamour
Posted on Tuesday, June 4, 2002 - 8:35 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

What a great idea...A tasting...Hmmmm.

Yes, Arj, I try to warn others of the funny little scams like "your shoes" - I just respond with "I'm Local" and they go away.

2Louche, Opening a restaurant here is probably the hardest job in NOLA...You have 1 year or less to make it work or it's gone...Tons of competition in this area.

Nascentvirion, See the travel section of my site http://www.neworleansvenue.com - I give some pointers and I can even send you an itinerary...quite popular and it's free at the present time.
2loucheltrec
Posted on Tuesday, June 4, 2002 - 7:07 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

i visited nola 3-4 years ago, i stayed at a guest house in the garden district on magazine street(a lot cheaper than staying in the quarter), during the day i mostly walked around, i felt pretty safe in most areas... as for crime from what i understand it's mostly petty crime... you know kallisti now that i think about it i remember seeing someone in the garden district that looked like you , it would have been four years ago this august, ... it is a beautiful area if you can take the heat, hell, after my visit i wanted to move there and entertained the idea of my own restaurant there... at night, cabs (or your own car) are the best form of travel for visitors ...i just might have to visit again soon, talking about it brings back good memories... i hopefully will be able to stay more than the 6 days i stayed last time...
Arj
Posted on Tuesday, June 4, 2002 - 4:09 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Nolamour, I peaked into both those bars, both great spots. The Pirates Alley Cafe is now the Blue Fugue. As for crime, the worst I experienced in my day there was guys asking me where I got my shoes. I had been warned. Don't answer!
Chrysippvs
Posted on Tuesday, June 4, 2002 - 3:53 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I think, and I may be wrong, Jackson, the city I live in, has the highest per capita crime rate of any city in the US. I think another woman was found this am with a hole in her head dumped on school grounds. This makes the 5 one I think in the past 3 months....

With all these New Orleans people we should have a tasting...

- J
Nolamour
Posted on Tuesday, June 4, 2002 - 3:38 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

HA HA...Kal, love the house...I will pass by on my way out to see how it's doing.

I just have to show this...It seems we somehow migrate towards the same color.
http://www.neworleansvenue.com/house3.jpg
Shall I name mine Le Maison Vert???? I couldn't take the wonderful name you already had. LOL

Arj,
Yes...I love Napoleon house. That was my home away from home in my early days as the PIMS CUP was the drink of the times.
Absinthe House, Pirates Alley Cafe and many more come to mind.
Admin
Posted on Tuesday, June 4, 2002 - 3:35 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

New Orleans does have a high crime rate, but it as actually come down significantly in the last 6 years or so (or more).

There are definate swathes of very low income housing to stay away from. If you want, have someone who knows the city take a marker to a map.

But there is also alot of spillover to moderate and nice neighborhoods, as folks from different economic strata often live cheek to jowl. I never personally had a problem. But I'm used to big city livin' ... just be aware of your surroundings, where yer goin' and take cabs when yer drunk.
Nascentvirion
Posted on Tuesday, June 4, 2002 - 3:26 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I've heard New Orleans has one of the highest crime rates... What are the parts to stay out of ? I may be visiting there next year.

Yes I mean Pittsburgh, nice little town although too many sports fans and hillbillies. I suppose thats due to the closeness of West Virgina. Yeah I've heard KMFDM are coming and Bella Morte are coming as well. I'd rather go see Bella Morte. If you want updates on shows go to www.pghgoth.com
Arj
Posted on Tuesday, June 4, 2002 - 3:19 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

That's great! You paint a beautiful picture Kal! I was down there briefly this past weekend and really loved it, but didn't see much outside the Quarter and CBD. When I got to the fringes of those neighborhoods I found a lot of empty buildings smelling very mouldy and turned around. It got sketchy out there. Next time I'll rent a car and get out further. The food was unbelievable. Early Saturday morning I went out and got some eggs with shrimp and some incredible spices. By the time I was through with that, the bars had opened back up and had people drinking in them, at 9AM! The party grew by the hour around Bourbon Street. It was remarkable. One really doesn't need to wait for Mardi Gras to see this city. The side streets were beautiful and especially the area around the French Market and St. Louis Church. I also hit many of the spots mentioned in the archives. Napoleon House was out of another era, really cool. So much great info on this site! But Old Absinthe House really needs to be redecorated. A sports bar? Come on! It wouldn't take much to make that place look great again. Anyway, looks like this might happen.
Admin
Posted on Tuesday, June 4, 2002 - 2:53 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

congrats on that! good work ... if it weren't for that damned persistant tourist industry I have the feeling that most nola firms would still be wondering if they really need to invest in that electric adding machine the accountant has been begging for.

but it was much worse when I was there. If you just mentioned you HAD a computer people thought you were an alien freak at the time.

this was my house, The Chateau Pernod, the whole front of it was my bedroom (30' x 15'). *sigh*

kallisti house!
Nolamour
Posted on Tuesday, June 4, 2002 - 2:35 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

YES!!

Kallisti...Well said! There was a phenomenal storm here just a few days ago and it only lasted half a day. The show was great! (I got all nostalgic thinking about your lightning in the quarter experience)

I have been in business since 2000 - Somewhat low competition, so it's been fun...Life is sweet!
Admin
Posted on Tuesday, June 4, 2002 - 2:27 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

ha! "fortune" was rhetorical. decent living wage is more like it.

it's nice to see more web graphics firms sprooting up, or have you been around for awhile and I just neglected to send my resume???

speaking as an outsider as well, but from the left coast, New Orleans is the kind of place that gets under your skin. and if it does, you'll have an easier time adjusting. but it is so very different than what alot of folks are used to. people move at an entirely different pace, not governed by schedules or those strange mechanisms called WATCHES. the calendar is marked only by holidays. and it is not unusual to see your neighbors having a cold one 10am on a saturday morning, or even better, coming home then. (I'm not talking about myself, OF COURSE)

the weather is spectacular, but MOIST. but this is one of the things that adds to the sensual rotting lushness of the city.

in summer, you can stand still for 5 minutes after coming out of air conditioned venue, and sweat thru your shirt, THE ENTIRE SHIRT. not everybodies cup o' tay. but it is worth it for the daily summer deluge that whips in like andrew everyday at 3pm. lightening over the quarter watched thru a sheet of water is one of the most beautiful sights in the world. and then it floods (but that goes away farely quickly).

when compared to other big to moderate city economies, frankly, it can suck. if you don't work in insurance, oil or hospitality (and CERTAINLY if you don't wear power suit & hose) it can be rough. this is my very personal experience. which is entirely limited to my skillset. heh.

but the cost of living is low, so if you wrangle decent job, life is very sweet indeed.

howz that?
Nolamour
Posted on Tuesday, June 4, 2002 - 12:49 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Arj,

The big "Flight" was the North Shore (Beau Chene is a nice community) and it was about a 30 minute drive to and from the city. Many people did this for a short while and then they found out that many of the conflicts that they wanted to avoid were North as well. The West bank is closer to Downtown and it better for a commute if that is where you would be working. I don't venture across the bridge to the West Bank, but there seems to be a spurt in growth out there as well. Timberlane is the big community there.
My family has been on the Lake Front for 40 years. This is still one of the best places to live and a great place for a "reluctant to move" family. Check this out: http://www.lakevistapropertyowners.com/

Laissez Le Bon Temps Rouler!
Arj
Posted on Tuesday, June 4, 2002 - 12:35 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks for all the comments, keep them coming if anyone has more! It's a tough decision. I have a great job opportunity down there but it's kind of hard to uproot my wife to another region we haven't lived in, and then I have to think ahead to quality of life issues for the kids we expect in the near future. Moving sure was easier a few years ago.

So the north shore is the typical safe suburbs you find all over the country? How's the area across the river? Thanks all. Let the good times roll!
Nolamour
Posted on Tuesday, June 4, 2002 - 12:19 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Kal,
I am right down the street from where you lived...Prytania. Fortune you say? I decided that instead of working for the man, I'd start my own. I think we may be in the same line of work. Beautiful website, by the way.

NoLa
Nolamour
Posted on Tuesday, June 4, 2002 - 12:09 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Arj,

Many people move to New Orleans for the fun...and there is plenty of it. It is called the big easy because we like to take it easy as well. As mentioned by others, there are Festivals every week, tons of music every day/night, many celebrities, the French Quarter, tons of culture, and the economy is on the upswing due to our new mayor. Some natives, such as myself, move away to the North Shore or other areas to get away from the city for certain reasons, But, One truth be told...They ALWAYS return. It grows on you or in you. I couldn't stay away from the mystery of the city and the wonderful people here. I attend Society functions, The Opera, The Symphony, Festivals, and many other venues on a weekly basis. I can only give you my opinion, but, I think it is the best place in the world, and I have been many places.

Good Luck!
Nolamour
Posted on Tuesday, June 4, 2002 - 11:53 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Tortainglese,

No disrespect intended, honestly, but are you kidding me??? I have lived in 3 different states outside of New Olreans and I have NEVER found a place with more culture than New Orleans. The old NewOrleanians stay for that reason alone. I am back for that reason. The last opera was Turandot. See http://www.neworleansopera.org and http://www.lpomusic.com - Yes, there is some crime and the reason is education. This problem is changing as we have just elected a new Mayor...The changes have already begun. New Life, Old and New Culture, and FANTASTIC FOOD...nothing like it. Where else can you get Authentic Gumbo, Jambalaya, Crawfish Etufee, Mufalettas, and, of course, Absinthe?...if you know the right sources.

I live in the Garden District as well and my business is thriving…Of course, all cities have some problems, but, all you have to do is avoid the wrong places and life is good!

NOLA-AMOUR
Native NewOrleanian
http://www.neworleansvenue.com (see why New Orleans is the most interesting city in the world)
Tortainglese
Posted on Tuesday, June 4, 2002 - 11:19 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

My sister lived in New Orleans for many years. Finally she left because of the terrible crime. Crime is bad especially in the good areas because that is where the tourists and residents with money are. She lived in the Garden District- a very beautiful place. Her house was like a fortress. I think the food is the best in North America. Very very hot and humid. Lots of parties-Mardi Gras, jazz fest, the vampire ball, ect. some gay scene. sublime architecture. small city, no major culture such as opera, ballet, symphony but a great city for music other than classical. My yankee sister felt a bit like an outsider. maybe it all depends on your personal approach and who you deal with. I think living there is worth a shot. The beauty of it attracts creative people.
Arj
Posted on Tuesday, June 4, 2002 - 10:35 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

K and Nolamour, you guys have driven me out from lurking. I'm considering a move to New Orleans. I've visited and really liked it but it's impossible to know what a place is really like from a vacation. Any comments on safety, economy, whether a yankee would have problems, etc?
Silent_Rich
Posted on Tuesday, June 4, 2002 - 8:50 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Tha Burgh? As in Pittsburgh, no we almost never get anything good in Pittsburgh, it is quite aggravating, although if you are a jazzer the 14 through the 16th I believe is the yearly free jazz fest at pointe park. Skinny Puppy? I seemed to think they were defunct, oh well goes to show what I know, KMFDM is making a pass through Pittsburgh in a couple of weeks (the 23rd) but I fear that it will be a horrid show being as Skold is now with Manson, and it will probably be all the slop off the last few albums, but watch I'll end up their anyway.
Admin
Posted on Tuesday, June 4, 2002 - 8:02 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Nolamour!

Lower Garden ... St. Mary Street 2 blocks above Magazine. Sadly, I was only there for 2 years 96-98 ... moved back to San Fran to make my fortune, which just was not happening in NOLA. I worked in a shop in the quarter, where as here I can get job as Web Fu Mistress. hehehe.

It was two of some of the best years of my life however. You don't need much for happiness in New Orleans.
Nascentvirion
Posted on Tuesday, June 4, 2002 - 6:02 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Bella Morte & Cinema Strange are great. Bella Morte play around here often. They just had a projekt fest in Philly last weekend. Tha Burgh never gets anything cool, but in music related news. Skinny Puppy are putting the finishing touches on a new album and will be touring in 2003
Wolfgang
Posted on Tuesday, June 4, 2002 - 1:04 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Oups, mistake there : ''It's like a cross between Sinead O'connor, Roxette and Dead can Dance. ''

I meant Cranberries, not Roxette !
Nolamour
Posted on Monday, June 3, 2002 - 9:51 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Kal,

Where did you live in NOLA? When did you move back to SF? I tend to go back and forth between the two cities myself. They are quite similar in many areas. Although, the bums in SF are much more creative. ;-)
Admin
Posted on Monday, June 3, 2002 - 6:36 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I've never been, but I have many friends who attend.

It was in San Francisco the season after I moved to New Orleans, and in New Orleans the season after I moved back to SF!

*sigh*
Wolfgang
Posted on Monday, June 3, 2002 - 2:33 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Ok, sorry for those who don't even know what I'm talking about but I'm sure many do.

Short intro for those who don't : Convergence is a yearly gothic event. It's a long weekend with lot's of shows and big parties where goth and all kinds of weirdos fly from all over the planet to meet in one city. This year it was in my home town Montreal ! So you guess what kind of nice juice I was pouring at the afterparties... (friends of mine had rented a big hotel room for that purpose and we had a major blast three night on a row up to 6 am).

I had the chance to share the Moonman's latest brews with guys from Cinema Strange and This Ascension (Two bands I adore !). Also offered a glass to Bella Morte's signer but he just looked suspiciously and said no thanks (in fact I didn't see him drink one drop of alcohol at the after party, o unusual for a rock star !?).

Friends also provided Sepis65, MaryMayan and Lasala. Nice surprise with the Lasala. It was my first time with this one and I found it quite drinkable. But I was already quite affected by many glass of Moonman's #8 stolen from the NY GT stack for the occasion (don't worry, he will make more of the same recipe to compensate, I just didn't expected to be invited to the after show parties, silly me, I'm too modest sometimes).

(quick review of Lasala : Citrusy but less than Montana. Lighter and less sticky and less artificial without being a truly good absinthe. Very easy to drink. I wouldn't pay the huge shipping to get it myself but if it was available at the corner store and nothing better was available, I would buy some for parties. It was way more popular than the Serpis).

I couldn't attend the third night because of work but friends reported that guys from This Ascension where asking around where was Wolfgang because they all wanted the signer to taste it (she wasn't there on the previous parties). Sad sad sad indeed because she's an amazing lady with a great voice. Somehow I'll make sure she eventually get some anyway. With the performance she gave us (and I was right on the front row right in front of her during the show!), I think she deserve a sample (does it give you an idea of what kind of reason will lead the Moonman to provide a sample ?).

By the way, this band can be appreciated even if you'r not a typical goth music fan. It's like a cross between Sinead O'connor, Roxette and Dead can Dance. They also compose some of their songs in latin and most of all they are very nice people (not at all the usual pretentious rock stars kind of guys).

I'll post some pic when I get it done.

You can ear samples there: http://thisascension.com/sonance.htm

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page