Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Archive through June 07, 2002

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum Archive thru June 2002 » Archive Thru June 2002 » Ostracism vs New Moderated Forum » Archive through June 07, 2002 « Previous Next »

Lordhobgoblin
Posted on Friday, June 7, 2002 - 7:11 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Timk,

But what majority do you mean? The majority of people registered on the forum (some 200 odd I believe), the majority of those who post on a daily basis, a weekly basis, a monthly basis? Or perhaps the majority of those who complain (who are in themselves a minority)?

How could anyone attempt to appease a majority when the majority cannot even be defined? She's best off pleasing herself without any regard for the wishes of anyone here. And anyway, wherever did you get the idea that this forum was a democracy?

Anyway this forum does not depend on the continued presence of a small core who think they are the forum. People come, people go and the character of the forum changes according to the makeup of those present. Absintheur went, did it harm the forum? No. Don went, did it harm the forum? No. It really makes no real difference whatsoever who stays and who goes.

Hobgoblin
Anatomist
Posted on Friday, June 7, 2002 - 5:56 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Congratulations D,

You've been out-rubed.

K.
Greenmeanie
Posted on Friday, June 7, 2002 - 4:26 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hey Destiny!

In some strange way the terms "left wing" and "gun-totin'" just don't seem to work together the way you are using them.

I should know, one of the two applies to me!!

-Greenmeanie
Destiny
Posted on Thursday, June 6, 2002 - 7:42 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I think that the forum is Kallisti's secret experiment; she wants to watch us each evolve into a left-wing, poem-writin' gun-totin' hippy frat-boy hogsmacker.
Timk
Posted on Thursday, June 6, 2002 - 2:36 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

"On saying that Kallisti's decision should be hers alone without taking into account the wishes of others."
"I'd much rather have Kallisti boot anyone she feels like off this forum for whatever reason she likes without having to justify herself to anyone."

What Kallisti does is restricted, in that she hardly (hopefully) wants everyone to fuck off and leave the forum, so what she does will hopefully be for the general good of the forum and to appease the majority who might leave if nothing were done.
Lordhobgoblin
Posted on Thursday, June 6, 2002 - 9:12 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

On saying that Kallisti's decision should be hers alone without taking into account the wishes of others.
Pikkle
Posted on Thursday, June 6, 2002 - 9:08 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

YEAH!!! Do it now!!!!!
Lordhobgoblin
Posted on Thursday, June 6, 2002 - 6:18 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Ostracism will not work because only those who want to ostracise someone will e-mail Kallisti. A lot of us have no interest in ostracising anyone so all you will get will be a small core of people (usually the same people) acting as the unelected 'voices of the forum' deciding who gets booted off for a period.

It also sets up a nice cosy power-base of untouchables. Just consider what a newcomer would have to do in order to get booted off and what one of the good-old-boys would have to do to get booted off. It would take a very extreme and extended episode of ongoing totally unacceptable behaviour before an old-boy got chosen for ostracism whereas a relative newcomer would only have to throw half a dozen moderate insults to end up being banned.

I'd much rather have Kallisti boot anyone she feels like off this forum for whatever reason she likes without having to justify herself to anyone.

Hobgoblin
Pikkle
Posted on Wednesday, June 5, 2002 - 9:30 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

HEAD FIXED MY HULA SEX GIRL DOLL!!!!!!!!!!! OH, FOR JOY FOR JOY!!!!!!!!!!!!
Louched_Liver
Posted on Wednesday, June 5, 2002 - 9:29 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Ah, the force be's tight again.

Good.
Pikkle
Posted on Wednesday, June 5, 2002 - 9:15 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

LET THEM EAT CAKE BITCH WHORE MOTHERFUCKER!!!
Perruche_Verte
Posted on Wednesday, June 5, 2002 - 9:10 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Now you've done it -- let them taste salt and they remember who they are -- run for your lives!
Head_Prosthesis
Posted on Wednesday, June 5, 2002 - 9:08 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Salty!!! Just lick I remember!
Admin
Posted on Wednesday, June 5, 2002 - 9:03 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

howz the pork?
Head_Prosthesis
Posted on Wednesday, June 5, 2002 - 9:00 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

After long awaited docility...

Head's taken control of the Pikkulitary
node.

He and Head are one again.

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Pikkle
Posted on Wednesday, June 5, 2002 - 8:56 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

liver you kiss ass!!!!!!!
Louched_Liver
Posted on Wednesday, June 5, 2002 - 8:55 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Kalladmin baby, you know the Leever's gotcha back.
Pikkle
Posted on Wednesday, June 5, 2002 - 2:38 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

just like a hero, hidin behind miles of wire and a glass altar while layin blame...
Admin
Posted on Wednesday, June 5, 2002 - 2:29 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Liver, yer da man. You stick right here by me.
Louched_Liver
Posted on Wednesday, June 5, 2002 - 2:27 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Oh yeah, how many is "a lot us", and how long is "a long time"?
And why don't they speak for themselves?
Louched_Liver
Posted on Wednesday, June 5, 2002 - 2:24 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Robertsmith,

I don't know, and don't care who he's refering to so cagily. I don't think this thing can be "hijacked". If Dr. Oh has a beef and doesn't want to fess up who it's with, oh well. Shit, you and Pikkle yuckin' it up is about all I read here.
Robertsmith
Posted on Wednesday, June 5, 2002 - 2:18 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

`
Louched_Liver
Posted on Wednesday, June 5, 2002 - 2:05 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Bobjones,

It's all about you, isn't it?
Robertsmith
Posted on Wednesday, June 5, 2002 - 12:36 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

`
Dr_Ordinaire
Posted on Wednesday, June 5, 2002 - 1:56 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

We have all been reading about the possibility of the creation of a new Forum, moderated.

I would like to propose a different solution, a classical alternative.

Ostracism.

In Greece, once a year citizens would write in a shell (ostrakon) the name of the person they would want to get rid of for a while. It wasn't an ultimate sentence like drinking hemlock, the person would get back his property and rights upon return. It was a "cooling off period".

If I understand correctly the present situation, a lot of us people who have been here for a long time believe that two members have "highjacked" the Forum.

Instead of splitting an already small community, let's institute ostracism. Nothing drastic like a year, maybe a month, or two weeks. On a certain day of the month we would email Kallisti with the name of our proposed ostracised as subject matter. (So she doesn't even have to open them, saves her time.) She will reveal the results. If she wants this to be a cautionary tale, she can reveal the name of the runner-up, too.

The ostracised would leave the Forum for the agreed period.

It's not censorship, it's democracy Swiss style. By referendum.

The beauty of it is that it does not imply a negative judgement: you may ostracise someone you like to prevent him/her from being distracted from more important things. Or from being attacked in the Forum.

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page