Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Blast Mapper

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum Archive thru June 2002 » Archive Thru June 2002 » Blast Mapper « Previous Next »

Lordhobgoblin
Posted on Sunday, June 9, 2002 - 11:16 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Larsbogart,

I don't know about the Queen but Nikki Clarke does the hair of some of the younger Royals.

Hobgoblin
_Blackjack
Posted on Sunday, June 9, 2002 - 11:07 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Well, my basic retirement plan is to estalish a second identity, take out a huge life insurance policy on myself, with the second ID as the beneficiary, and then fake my own death. It seems a lot simpler than this 401K business...
Larsbogart
Posted on Sunday, June 9, 2002 - 9:06 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Totally serious: Who does the queens hair? You probably dont know anyway,.....
Lordhobgoblin
Posted on Sunday, June 9, 2002 - 7:23 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Yeah a bit like the Royal family but the difference is that when you die the Royal family don't pay up.

This Queen's Silver jubilee get's on my nerves. For all the Royalists in Britain, let's make a deal. If you want the Queen and the Royal family then you can have them and pay for them and their upkeep and if others don't want them then they don't have to pay for them. Make it optional and let's see who loves them enough to pay for them? And importantly the Royal Prerogative scrapped. Oh and the Republicans will also be entitled to a rebate for everythig they have paid to keep the Royal family during their lifespan and also adequate compensation to cover the cost of all the land and property that the Royal family's ancestors stole from the ancestors of the common British people (oh and of course if you still want to fund a Royal family then you'll want to fund this compensation beacuse afterall you believe that the Royal family should be supported by their subjects).

Make it optional and let's see who wants to pay the cost of having a family who believe they have been ordained by God (yes the Queen does actually believe this) to rule over the common man. Where does the Royal family get their authority from (yes they have the power to start wars, choose Prime Ministers and much more)? They don't get this from Parliament because althouh Parliament may have been chosen by the people it actually serves the Sovereign. The Royal Family don't get their power from the people. They believe they get it from God.

A lot of people seem to misunderstand and think that the Queen has no power and is just a figurehead. This is not so in Britain. The Royal Prerogative exists in law which makes the Sovereign's actions subject to no restriction whatsoever. "But she doesn't use this much" you say. Does she not? The Prime Minister meets with the Sovereign on a weekly basis and the Sovereign (if she deems fit and often she does) grants the Prime Minister the right to use the Royal Prerogative by proxy for anything that he deems fit and the Sovereign has given approval. He then can (and does as did his predecessors) act without the need for any consultation with Parliament or the people because once he is acting as an agent for the Sovereign and under the Royal Prerogative his actions have no restriction.

The British Royal Family and it's power undermines democracy for this reason. The Royal Family is not just pomp, ceremony and history it has a greater power than Parliament and is answerable to nobody.

Hobgoblin
Nascentvirion
Posted on Sunday, June 9, 2002 - 6:54 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

It's amazing that the fallout is so widespread.. I typed in Pittsburgh and the fallout stops at Allentown.
Pikkle
Posted on Sunday, June 9, 2002 - 5:46 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Kind of like the royal family?
Lordhobgoblin
Posted on Sunday, June 9, 2002 - 2:31 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Life insurance is a con, don't bother with it (unless of course your employer is giving it to you for free).

People pay in large sums of money month after month and then, most of the time, when they die the insurance company pays out a hell of a lot less than the person put in.

A safer bet is just to take the money you would contribute and stick it in a bank or under the mattress and let your beneficiary take that when you die. By doing this you've got a higher probability that there will be more money for your benificiary. At least no slimey executive is using your money to buy himself a new BMW and an Armani suit.

Life insurance companies con people into fearing the worst so that these companies can profit from people's fears. It's not a good deal, it's a rip off.

Hobgoblin
Pikkle
Posted on Sunday, June 9, 2002 - 1:53 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Actually, the Rouge plant where I spend most of my waking time is also a bit of a strategic target due to it's industrial mass... remember ole Hank used to build an entire car here from the ground up... hundreds of thousands to be exact. And during "the Good War" he supplied the government with a plethora of useful and fun vehicles. Along the tops of many of the buildings you can still see railings... these railing run all the way around and way back during WWII they held huge curtains that could be pulled all the way around in case of an air raid... now we just use them to dry our underpants, if we're wearing any that is.
Traineraz
Posted on Saturday, June 8, 2002 - 11:06 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

. . . and you can leave it to me if you don't want to leave it to anyone else!

(Or pick a charity that supports a cause you believe in, if you don't LOVE me enough [sniff]!)

Hey, why not, it's free money for SOMEBODY if you die! Might as well use it, your company is paying for it as part of your pay package.
Perruche_Verte
Posted on Saturday, June 8, 2002 - 10:12 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Geez, BJ, your job gives you free life insurance and you won't even fill out the lousy form?

I decided that since we never know when it's coming - really - some good might as well come of my death if it happens unexpectedly. So I named an old friend as beneficiary. She'll see that I'm mourned, cremated and scattered somewhere, and then she'll go take a few weeks in the Caribbean, if it hasn't all been submerged by the melting ice caps yet.
2loucheltrec
Posted on Saturday, June 8, 2002 - 9:20 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

i live in the shadow of "mt. weather", i guess i'd be glowing for a while...
blackjack- watch out where you point your bullseye ridden buttocks you may catch some of us in said crossfire ;-)
_Blackjack
Posted on Saturday, June 8, 2002 - 7:58 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Before my family moved to the DC area, I lived near Norfolk. I seem to have a big bullseye on my ass...
_Blackjack
Posted on Saturday, June 8, 2002 - 7:56 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Oddly enough, the crash at the Pentagon did nothing to drive the surrounding property values down. I guess it's the old "what are the chances of it happening TWICE" theory...

And I don't own life insurance. I don't even bother to fill out the forms for the stuff they give me at work. Nobody but my cats depend on me, so I prefer to keep my death a zero-sum proposition...
Mr_Rabid
Posted on Saturday, June 8, 2002 - 6:10 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I can't beat the Pentagon, but I see your auto parts and raise you a state capitol, an army base, the Navy ships parts control center (all their inventory) a nuclear power plant, and an international airport.

The USSR always listed us #3, after DC and NYC.

Go Harrisburg!
Pikkle
Posted on Saturday, June 8, 2002 - 4:23 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I'm sure Ypsituky is a goner... Willow Run airport handles lot's of military cargo, et al... plus you got like three auto plants within a few miles of each other, quite an attractive target...
Mr_Rabid
Posted on Saturday, June 8, 2002 - 3:59 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

If and when a nuke is used, your address will probably make your life insurance rates go WAAAAY up...
_Blackjack
Posted on Saturday, June 8, 2002 - 3:22 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I live a mile and a half from the Pentagon. I don't stand a chance...
Traineraz
Posted on Saturday, June 8, 2002 - 1:10 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Woohoo, in my new house, with the double-pane windows, and its location more than 7 miles from the air force base, I'd be fine and dandy . . . well, until I got stuck in traffic trying to get onto I-10 . . . and then the fallout . . . and the riots . . .

Maybe I should move right next to the base, might as well be vaporized.
Nolamour
Posted on Saturday, June 8, 2002 - 12:35 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

LOL - Great Idea! - Grab the love interest of choice and "Strike that pose" and then they will know exaclty what you were doing.
Mr_Rabid
Posted on Saturday, June 8, 2002 - 12:33 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I will try to strike an interesting pose, so that generations from now people will wonder just what I was doing when my shadow was burned into that wall.
Nolamour
Posted on Saturday, June 8, 2002 - 9:08 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hell, I'm port city...Smack Dab in the Middle. I'd rather go that way than a long drawn out demise. Let me know where it's gonna hit, I'll drive as fast as I can to the spot, look up and wait.

Although, if there is survival, it'll be real nice in about 10 years.
Brett
Posted on Saturday, June 8, 2002 - 9:01 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

BOO YA!

With a 25 megaton dropped in downtown Vancouver, I have a fairly good chance of dying, if not from the initial blast from the fallout.

Boo ya.
Perruche_Verte
Posted on Saturday, June 8, 2002 - 6:59 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Well, I guess I'm toast. But I pretty much assumed that was the case, anyway.
Nascentvirion
Posted on Saturday, June 8, 2002 - 6:46 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Neat...
Destiny
Posted on Saturday, June 8, 2002 - 4:37 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Wanna see if you would survive a nuclear bomb dropped near your house?

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/amex/bomb/sfeature/mapablast.html

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page