Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Sub-genius

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum Archive thru June 2002 » Archive Thru June 2002 » Sub-genius « Previous Next »

Traineraz
Posted on Monday, June 10, 2002 - 6:51 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Someone has to tell "Bob"!

Oh, wait, he must already know.
Bjacques
Posted on Monday, June 10, 2002 - 6:47 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Well, I've been telling everybody that having another Bush in the White House threw us into a time loop, so it's 1990 again. The economy's in the crapper, Bush is trying to drum up support for an invasion of Iraq. So this loop's already off to a shaky start, but at least we get another shot at X-Day.
Traineraz
Posted on Monday, June 10, 2002 - 6:41 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Oh, I can't afford to go anywhere this summer. Maybe next year (assuming this isn't the REAL 1998), they can have it closer to Tucson! :)

I'm going to save my money for a trip to the next NOLA or other near-ish absinthe GT.
Bjacques
Posted on Monday, June 10, 2002 - 6:29 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Man, I wish I were going. I went to the original X-Day in '98. It was a blast. Everyone should go at least once.

I found a copy of High Weirdness By Mail, from 1988. E-mail was known to but a few and the Web was 5 years away. All the great stuff that's available instantly now was at least a week away by first-class mail. Back then, proto-militia types worried about secret concentration camps, and the Raelians wanted to build an embassy for space aliens. Now the former are still worried about the camps, and the latter want to make the first clone baby.
Traineraz
Posted on Saturday, June 8, 2002 - 8:25 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

{GASP} it's gone farther than we thought!

For their XXXXX-Day 2002, the hierarchy of the Church of the Subgenius request offerings:

"OFFERINGS. It's traditional to leave little gifts of food, drink, flowers etc. at the campsite or trailer of the Church Hierarchy member(s) you most admire. It is always charming to see the tiny altars of wood, decked with daisies and piled with tiny cakes and bottles of absinthe, and to see the starving Hierarchites fight each other tooth and nail to get the first bite . . ."

Even the great religious leaders of our day are drinkin' the stuff now! It's about time.

Now, who's going to be my sponsor for the plane ticket so I can go? :) I'll bring a bottle of Serpis to share . . . Maybe the Segarra, too.

http://www.subgenius.com/bigfist/fun/devivals/5XDay/Instructions.html
Traineraz
Posted on Saturday, June 8, 2002 - 5:50 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

. . . and why is it that, when I was seeking ways to corrupt my fragile little mind, nobody mentioned this to me? Hmmm?

Principia Discordia, haven't looked at that since college (the first time around); since it's online in full at

www.principiadiscordia.com

I suppose I'll have to read THAT, too.
Traineraz
Posted on Saturday, June 8, 2002 - 3:54 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I meant to reply in the thread in which I found the reference, but, darnit, I couldn't find it!

For anyone intrigued by that reference to the "Book of the Subgenius," the first two chapters and a number of other related documents are available at:

http://www.subgenius.com/bigfist/classic/classics/classics.html

Apparently, it's quite a classic . . . but Rumor has it the Illuminati keep buying up copies and destroying them. (Rumor lives down the block from me. Quite a character, but a bit of a gossip.)

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page