Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Archive through June 08, 2002

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum Archive thru June 2002 » Introducing Rudi » Archive through June 08, 2002 « Previous Next »

Anatomist
Posted on Saturday, June 8, 2002 - 4:02 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I'd probably rather be a chicken on a free-range farm than a fish raised in a crowded fish-farm tank.

Density,

What? I go and disagree with you and you're only associating me with the KKK? Why not the Nazis? Or, Al Queda? You need to go back to your manual of hysterical, left-wing argumentative dirty tricks and review your lessons.

K.
Traineraz
Posted on Saturday, June 8, 2002 - 3:55 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

. . . and don't forget the smart, trick-learnin piggies! They're supposed to be smarter than some breeds of doggie.

Definitely smarter than the little veals-to-be.
Destiny
Posted on Saturday, June 8, 2002 - 3:50 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

>> Chickens and turkeys seem stupider and less aware of what's going on than most fish to me.

And Jews and Blacks seem stupider to a KKK member. We love kittens, puppies and fluffy bunnies and are outraged when they're mistreated; but in other countries, they're just food. The average person doesn't keep cows and chickens as pets so they don't get to see that these animals have individual personalities too.
Traineraz
Posted on Saturday, June 8, 2002 - 3:47 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Remember, Trader Joe's (and other stores, I'm sure) have "cage free" eggs (free range or at least not stacked 8 to a record crate)available; if you're tremendously concerned about the origin of the eggs in your baked goods, I'd recommend buying those eggs and baking yourself.
Mr_Rabid
Posted on Saturday, June 8, 2002 - 3:46 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Its not their level of awareness at all- its whether or not they got to lead good little fishy lives :-)

Eating out is the main problem I guess... that and bread.
Destiny
Posted on Saturday, June 8, 2002 - 3:39 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Yo Traineraz, I'm a vegetarian.

Rabid, unless you're going with special vegan brands, there's not an easy way to avoid eggs. The key is just reading labels closely (which is a good idea even if you aren't a vegetarian). It takes a bit of effort in the beginning, but then you don't even think about it.
Angryp
Posted on Saturday, June 8, 2002 - 3:32 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

There was a report on NPR a month or so ago about McDonalds (of all corporations!) cracking down on its egg suppliers, demanding they keep their chickens in more humane conditions.
Anatomist
Posted on Saturday, June 8, 2002 - 3:08 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Chickens and turkeys seem stupider and less aware of what's going on than most fish to me. If you go free-range they probably have pretty good little chicken lives, insofar as they know.
Mr_Rabid
Posted on Saturday, June 8, 2002 - 1:55 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I have a request of the vegetarians present...

I re-examined my meat eating habits recently (as a result of the chicken with no face thread.)

I still eat fish but no other meat (my problem with meat eating is the torture part, not the killing for food part.)

The thing is, I am having a *hell* of a time avoiding eggs.

Can any of you please point me at a resource for determining foods (and brands if possible) that contain/don't contain eggs?
Traineraz
Posted on Saturday, June 8, 2002 - 1:26 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Yes, I imagine they'd get sunburn . . . of course, no plucking would make it easier.

Ever watch Frontier House, the PBS miniseries about 3 families who try to live the 1880s frontier lifestyle? The little boy in one family names the pig Jojo and teaches it to do tricks and such. He's rather distraught when they eat it.
Nolamour
Posted on Saturday, June 8, 2002 - 1:20 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

True, But I think the idea is a domesticated house pet versus animals bred for consumption.

Have you seen the new chicken without feathers? What's next? Quite humorous actually.
Traineraz
Posted on Saturday, June 8, 2002 - 1:16 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

. . . oh, I almost forgot, congrats on the new cats. Hope they are good pets for you. :)
Traineraz
Posted on Saturday, June 8, 2002 - 1:15 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I prefer General Meow's Kitten, myself . . .

Of course, the point is that there is all this chat about a "holocaust" against unwanted dogs and cats, when moocows and chickens and lambs and piggies are kept in little pens or cages until they get gutted so we can eat them.

Not to mention the chickens piled onto each other in cages to lay eggs, and the little veals-to-be who aren't allowed to move.

Granted, it would be NICE if people were responsible enough to have their animals fixed so we wouldn't HAVE shelters full of unwanted animals. At least most shelters now require sterilization when you adopt an animal, a step in the right direction.
Angryp
Posted on Saturday, June 8, 2002 - 1:13 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

My current cat, Max, was also a stray. My neighborhood has a large population of stray cats. My landlords try to capture as many of the kittens and unaltered females as they can. The kittens all get homes and the moms get fixed.

It's amazing to see the change in the mother cats. They go from scrawny, filthy, and unhealthy to sleek and filled out in a matter of a couple of weeks. They're usually too feral to get homes for, but it's still nice to see them in better shape (and not squirting kittens all over the neighborhood).

There's a upper respratory infection that seems really common in the kittens around here. I think it kills most of them before they reach adulthood. Little Musetta was a wheezy and burbling when I grabbed her. She's just finishing a round of antibiotics and seems to be getting better. For a while she was pretty sick, so I imagine many of her littermates died from the same thing. I think
Nolamour
Posted on Saturday, June 8, 2002 - 1:07 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

No, but I have eaten Cat before...It was supposed to be Mandarin Chicken. The restaurant was subsequently shut down about 3 weeks later.

I hate to say it, but it did taste like chicken.
Traineraz
Posted on Saturday, June 8, 2002 - 1:02 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

One question: Are you all vegetarians?
Nolamour
Posted on Saturday, June 8, 2002 - 12:45 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I hate to keep belaboring the point, but you are right. I found out that anything that is not a kitten or puppy will be incinerated within a couple of days. Just the look on the older cat's faces told the story...Like they knew their fate. Eerie!

Thanks for the kind words and Purrcival is the happiest kitten I've seen. He continually exposes his belly to the world and seems to love good ole dad!
Tortainglese
Posted on Saturday, June 8, 2002 - 11:32 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

My original adoption plan was to go to the city shelter where after 48 hours the animals are killed if not claimed. I got a cat from there once before. It is a terrible experience to know you can only save one and most likely all the rest will be killed. Deciding I wasnt up to that experience again, I opted for the ongoing adoption service at PetCo run by a non profit called KittyKind. I feel like a wimp for taking the softer route when I could have saved someone from certain death. But at least Rudi was a stray who needed a home.

The human neglegance toward cats and dogs have created a holocaust against them. It is heart breaking.

by the way, Purrcival was an excellent name choice.
Pikkle
Posted on Saturday, June 8, 2002 - 11:23 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

A message to you Rudi...
Joalco
Posted on Saturday, June 8, 2002 - 11:17 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I used to be a big believer in animal shelters myself, but after losing one animal, and coming damn close to losing another one, due to their negligence, I won't ever adopt an animal from a shelter again.

Call me gunshy...
Lordhobgoblin
Posted on Saturday, June 8, 2002 - 10:48 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Well done for having the thought to go to an animal shelter to give a cat a good home. The world needs more people like you.

Animal shelters are really sad places (although thank God they exist). They just highlight the complete lack of regard mankind has for its fellow creatures. These poor animals are simply regarded as disposable commodities, property that can be bought on a whim and disposed of as man sees fit. Of no more value than a child's toy that can simply be disposed off once the novelty has worn off. It really makes me angry.

Hobgoblin
Nolamour
Posted on Saturday, June 8, 2002 - 10:11 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

OK...my dad is real old. I went to the SPCA to find him a friend. I will never do that again as the cats and dogs there are trained to cry and poke their paws out of little holes in their cell doors. It was somewhat upsetting knowing that all of these creatures were left there, sent there, lost, abused, or whatever the case that brought them to this place. As you said, Tort, I wanted to take all of them with me.

On a lighter note...I got him a 4 month old kitten called a Brindle? (I think that's what they called him) Grey and Black tabby with white paws. My father named him PURRcival - Cuz he Purrs all the time...I then told him the story of Percival, knight of the round table.
Tortainglese
Posted on Saturday, June 8, 2002 - 9:47 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Musetta! What a grand name! She sounds like quite a little diva. (that is one of my favorite roles)Rudi is named after Rudolph Nureyev. This is a classic case of the parents telling the kids "you will thank me for this later, it is for your own good." Cats need companionship for when the humans are out all day and night. I think in both our case it will work out eventually. Currently my Max is looking at me and saying "what the hell were you thinking bringing that runt in here?"

I got Rudi at an adoption center at PetCo. It was difficult taking just one. I wanted to get a van and say "Come on everyone, get in!"

Congrats on your new baby too!
Angryp
Posted on Saturday, June 8, 2002 - 9:33 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

What a conincidence! I am on the verge of adopting a new kitten, too! She was a stray that I managed to grab when she came too close and has been living the basement for about a week.

She will most likely be named Musetta because she was very dramatic when she arrived - hissing, growling, and making other assorted horrible noises. She has since come around and is a very affectionate.

My curent cat, also called Max, is quite sure he doesn't want another cat around and retired to the underside of the bed when I tried introducing them. I'm going to do a few day trial run to see if they can't come to an understanding. Max is very spoiled, so I expect a difficult adjustment.

If it doesn't work out, my landlords are expert at finding homes for kittens, so I expect the new little one will find a home in no time.

Congrats on your new baby!
Tortainglese
Posted on Saturday, June 8, 2002 - 9:12 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Does anyone want to hear about my new kitten? His name is Rudi and he is 6 months old. A wee foundling from the East Village. My resident cat, Max, is not yet sold on him.

I know this is an unrelated topic, but I am soooo excited!

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page