Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Archive through June 09, 2002

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum Archive thru June 2002 » Archive Thru June 2002 » The Inner Sanctum » Archive through June 09, 2002 « Previous Next »

Larsbogart
Posted on Sunday, June 9, 2002 - 7:51 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

This thread really stinks. Im glad I wasnt around to watch it in real time.
Kallisti, you should delete every typed word. Its disgraceful. I came here to listen to shit like that? TV is looking really good right about now, even Matlock reruns.
Ignore lars if you will, but, detoxing will give you a new perspective and YOU need one. You know who you are.
tsk tsk... for shame...
Artemis
Posted on Saturday, June 8, 2002 - 4:15 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I think Marc should be commended for expanding on the Robertsmith thing with honesty. Thanks, Marc.
Admin
Posted on Friday, June 7, 2002 - 2:20 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

indeed!
Chevalier
Posted on Friday, June 7, 2002 - 2:05 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Or Boney, as Jane Austen types called him.
Admin
Posted on Friday, June 7, 2002 - 1:47 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I have a particular affection for Ole Nappy ...
Chevalier
Posted on Friday, June 7, 2002 - 12:37 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Wry fact: The remains of Napoleon’s son, who died in Vienna, were returned to Paris and interred in the Invalides by … Adolf Hitler.
Chevalier
Posted on Friday, June 7, 2002 - 12:31 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

The portraits I referred to are of Napoleon's son, the Duke of Reichstadt.
Chevalier
Posted on Friday, June 7, 2002 - 12:28 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

As a kid, I was a confirmed Bonapartist. I guess I went for the gory glory. (I've long since recovered.) I had a plaster reproduction of Napoleon’s death mask in my bedroom, and some oxidized musket balls my Belgian great-grandfather had dug up at the Waterloo battlefield. Weird fact: Portraits of him at the age of 8 and 12 show a boy who looked exactly – I mean exactly – like me at those ages.
Bjacques
Posted on Friday, June 7, 2002 - 12:06 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I scored a Revolution-era (just before the Directoire) legal document from Marseilles last year. Not a death warrant, unfortunately, but a dispute over a mortgage foreclosure in Gentilly, just south of the Peripherique in Paris.

Anyway, the dispute lasted from about Year 3 of the Republic, One and Indivisible, to about Year 6 and recorded dates in the months of Floreal, Germinal, Thermidor, etc. The new calendar was a pain in the ass, but the lawyers and notaries adapted easily enough.

I'm still trying to figure out *where* the house was. The document's pretty hard to read.

AND...

For light entertainment, I caught Cruel Intentions on Dutch TV last week. Buffy Merteuil! Wahoo!
Admin
Posted on Friday, June 7, 2002 - 11:13 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

and Chev, you'd be amazed at the amount that has been written on the Revolution.

Once I got the basics down, I delved into materials that attack specific aspects upon which the Revolution had an indelible effect, such as art, literature, class distinction, food, dress, last letters written on the way to the guillotine. It's the details of the individuals lives, how they lived, where they pissed, screwed (and how they did!) etc that yanks my knob. hehee. I even have a book that analyzes the property inventories taken post-mortem during a 50 year period of the 2nd half of the 18th cent in Paris. It's like going thru someone's attic. delicious.

That book on Alexander I looks fascinating ... I haven't much touched on Russian history aside from the various bodice rippers, er, dramas I like to watch on occasion. I'll add to the list!
Chevalier
Posted on Friday, June 7, 2002 - 11:01 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Was that clear?
Chevalier
Posted on Friday, June 7, 2002 - 11:00 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Well, Robert Smith's not going to die from it, and we're not going to die from not having Robert Smith to kick us around (and vice-versa).
Admin
Posted on Friday, June 7, 2002 - 10:58 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

It's not disingenuous. I said I regret acting precipitously, NOT the decision I made. I still think it was the right decision, but I agree I should have handled it more methodically. My buttons got pushed.
Wolfgang
Posted on Friday, June 7, 2002 - 10:44 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

If he want to be back, he will just have to install a prosthesis to replace his severed head and login as a newbie...
Destiny
Posted on Friday, June 7, 2002 - 10:29 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

>> Whatever regrets I may have for acting so precipitously, I'll stand by that decision.

Kallisti, this is your place and I respect your right to have your way with the forum, but I find the statement above to be disingenuous. If your regrets are genuine, how can you not act? It's not as if someone is dead and you're unable to do anything about it.
Chevalier
Posted on Friday, June 7, 2002 - 9:58 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

You beat me by 29 books! After I read "Citizens", I felt as if there was nothing more about the Revolution that was left to cover.

I'm reading a great work by a Russian historian about the mysterious (faked) death of Alexander I, the Czar who helped defeat Napoleon. Seems Alexander faked his own death in order to become a wandering monk for the next 40-odd years. Tolstoy almost wrote a book about it.

http://www.appleby.on.ca/102001/Troub/default.htm
Admin
Posted on Friday, June 7, 2002 - 9:47 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

indeed. I have approximately 25-30 books on the Revolution ... Citizens is a wonderful in depth overall look on the subject.
Chevalier
Posted on Friday, June 7, 2002 - 9:41 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

KallisTi
Chevalier
Posted on Friday, June 7, 2002 - 9:40 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Speaking of the Terror, Kallisi, have you read the book "Citizens"?
Admin
Posted on Friday, June 7, 2002 - 9:36 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

speaking of which, the severed head I made for Bastille Day last year should be making a tiny appearance in Yahoo Internet Life this month. hahahaa!

that tickles me no end.
Chevalier
Posted on Friday, June 7, 2002 - 9:29 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

But the head is being slapped around and blushing ...
Wolfgang
Posted on Friday, June 7, 2002 - 9:25 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

The guillotine have fallen, now behave !
Admin
Posted on Friday, June 7, 2002 - 9:02 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

If there's one thing Don taught me, that is to harden my heart, swallow my tears, AND JUST HIT THE GODDAMN DELETE BUTTON.

not without due warning however.
Admin
Posted on Friday, June 7, 2002 - 8:59 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

If I can't please everyone, I can at least please myself.

Whatever regrets I may have for acting so precipitously, I'll stand by that decision.

In one of his last posts rs stated (not for the first time) that if others found him annoying or irritating to the point where he was ruining the forum, then he was going to stay til the bitter end. That little number, compounded with everything else, pushed me over the edge.

Whatever. I'll live with it.
Emileguysmiley
Posted on Friday, June 7, 2002 - 8:59 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I feel like I must've missed all of his best posts. I would've predicted that he'd neverget kicked off. But I've been spending forever with my nose in the archive and there are people in there who should've been kicked off long before they were. I'm really suprosed.

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page