Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Whirlwind Absinthe tour of Paris

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum Archive thru June 2002 » Whirlwind Absinthe tour of Paris « Previous Next »

Artemis
Posted on Thursday, June 13, 2002 - 3:49 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I exposed Peter's $100 per box sugar scam here a long time ago. He recently returned from Egypt, where he found a secret recipe inscribed in the tomb of Ankh ef n Serpis. At present he's only revealed it to the Sanctum Sanctorum of the Forum, but I expect he will be hawking it to newbies for the usual Ben Franklin before long.
Beware of any man who takes up residence among the cheese-eating surrender monkeys.
Crosby
Posted on Wednesday, June 12, 2002 - 6:05 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

If I remember right, he charges $100 a box.
Destiny
Posted on Wednesday, June 12, 2002 - 5:47 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

>> Could someone bring back some sugar cubes? I think there's a thread looking for something French.

YEAH! Find someone who will ship the large, individually wrapped, St.Louis sugar cubes to the USA.

Petermarc, what's taking so long with your computer?
Crosby
Posted on Wednesday, June 12, 2002 - 4:44 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks for the input folks. I might mail a couple bottles home and throw one in my suitcase , but I'm mostly trying to lay in a drinking supply for the rest of my time in Europe. If someone wants sugar cubes, e-mail me and I'll see what I can do. I don't think I can single-handedly supply the forum though.

Petermarc,

Thanks for the offer, I'll drop you a line. If it works with your schedule, it would be great if you and your wife could join me for dinner.

Thanks again all,

Harry
Pikkle
Posted on Wednesday, June 12, 2002 - 2:39 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

bring back some of those white flags too... shouldn't be too hard to find, they're standard issue there...
Nolamour
Posted on Wednesday, June 12, 2002 - 1:59 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Could someone bring back some sugar cubes? I think there's a thread looking for something French.
Absinthedrinker
Posted on Wednesday, June 12, 2002 - 7:51 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

The flea market in the south of Paris is likely to be the best value for spoons and glasses (you won't find much else). Prices will vary widely between stall holders and you should always expect to get 5 to 10% discount if you bargain. As an example of the price variation I recently saw a one litre Pernod fils bottle (no labels, empty of course) for sale for 180 euros whilst three stalls down there was a litre one and a half litre one for 12 euros each...
Petermarc
Posted on Wednesday, June 12, 2002 - 7:09 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

my computer is still down, so i still write this from the fucking easyinternetcafé...
a montmartre address is;
caves du roy
31 rue simart 18éme M° jules joffrin
01 42 23 99 11
they have guy, oxygénée...
also,
trésor du bacchus
4 rue pas de la mule 11éme M°bastille
i'm not sure of what they have, but am going there
to check it out today as it will be going into benoit's new book since they are supposed to have a good selection and are centrally located... i believe they have pernod 68°...i will be going there to suggest that they carry others, especially 'un émile' and guy...

of course, you can always e-mail me before you come, and if it works out, come over to try several absinthes, including émile 68°, which cannot be bought in france(along with most of my collection) and i can give you some tips for the flea market, etc...
Chevalier
Posted on Wednesday, June 12, 2002 - 6:59 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

P.S.: The absinthe spoons I saw there were just what you'd expect to find on eBay. Paris's flea markets are picked over to death, unless you get lucky.
Chevalier
Posted on Wednesday, June 12, 2002 - 6:55 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Crosby, have you contacted Petermarc? He might be in Paris when you are. If not, he'd almost certainly know where to pick up a bottle of Oxygenée, if not F. Guy and Emile.

My 1999 experience with Paris's largest flea market, the "Marché aux Puces", yielded up two absinthe spoons and two glasses. The spoons cost between $25 and $35. The glasses were between $30 and $40. They weren't the cream of the crop by any means, but at least it didn't take long to find them. (Most of the glasses I saw there were Chopes Yvonnes, Eggs and Swirls; the ones I ended up buying were a Mazagran and a Lyonnais (without the reservoir), the latter with some usage wear.

Back in '99, I didn't run into any stalls specializing in absinthiana. Perhaps it's different today. Bonne chance!
Crosby
Posted on Tuesday, June 11, 2002 - 5:38 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I'll have the good fortune of being in Paris for two days at the end of this month and am hoping the forumites can suggest some "best uses" for this short amount of time. I have from the evening of 6/30 through the morning of 7/2 to see a little of the city.
I have a hotel in Montmartre and would like to find a shop in the area that sells either the stock Emile or Francois Guy.
As a small collector of absinthe antiques, I'd like to check out the flea market scene. I don't have any illusions about finding bargains, but maybe I can find something a bit different from the normal ebay fare.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Harry
Traineraz
Posted on Wednesday, June 12, 2002 - 12:21 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Crosby -

Don't forget to check how many bottles of whatever you can bring back with you. I believe it's one liter per person or something like that (in the U.S.), but I'm not sure, I'm not a customs agent, don't quote me on that . . . I just don't want you to buy six bottles and have them take five away at the airport!

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page