Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

24 HOUR PARTY PEOPLE

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum Archive thru June 2002 » 24 HOUR PARTY PEOPLE « Previous Next »

Pataphysician
Posted on Thursday, June 13, 2002 - 12:59 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I have NO IDEA how that smiley face got in there. I truly apologize. I would never purposely do such a thing.
Pataphysician
Posted on Thursday, June 13, 2002 - 12:57 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I understand it includes footage of the Sex Pistols at Manchester Free Trade Hall in 1976, one of their most important shows (to paraphrase what they said about the Velvet Underground's first record:) there were only fifty people there, but each one of them went out and started a band. That alone should be worth the price. (I've got a great bootleg of that one).

Also, The Hacienda club is included, isn't that where Fat Boy Slim started, maybe also Massive Attack? Is all that covered, too?
Marccampbell
Posted on Wednesday, June 12, 2002 - 11:28 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I was just informed that the rough cut of 24 HOUR PARTY PEOPLE was six hours long. Maybe they'll include some of the cut material on the DVD.
Pikkle
Posted on Wednesday, June 12, 2002 - 1:32 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

"Music must represent the spirit of crowds, of great industrial complexes, of trains, of ocean liners, of battle fleets, of automobiles and airplanes. It must add to the great central themes of the musical poem the domain of the machine and the victorious realm of electricity"

Heh...
Marccampbell
Posted on Tuesday, June 11, 2002 - 11:48 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

24 HOUR PARTY PEOPLE,
Directed by Michael Winterbottom.

24 HOUR PARTY PEOPLE chronicles the Manchester, England rock scene of the '70s and '80s. Not a documentary, but filmed in a cinema verite style, the story revolves around
NEW ORDER, JOY DIVISION, HAPPY MONDAYS, Factory Records and its founder Tony Wilson, and the Hacienda nightclub. The evocatively grungy cinematography by Robby Muller was shot on digital video. The movie, like the music it celebrates, has a punky, edgy feel.
Steve Coogan, who portrays the idealistic and anarchic Tony Wilson, is terrific. His combination of aristocratic Brit pomp and rock irreverence is as funny as it is anachronistic. The clash of staid English arrogance with punk's fuck-all attitude sums up the era nicely. Manchester was the birthplace of industrial rock and rave music. The movie captures the exhilaration of a community of disenfranchised kids discovering and losing themselves in music and drugs. Its a fun ride. But, the movie has a central flaw: it bites off more than it can chew.
It tries to tell too many stories in too short of a time. In order to do justice to the material, the film would have had to have been twice as long. I was frustrated that it didn't dig deeper into the lives of Joy Division's Ian Curtis and Happy Monday's Shaun Ryder. To make a film about Manchester music and skim over the lives of two
of the main forces behind it is unfortunate. Imagine a film about Brit pop in the '60s that doesn't put Jagger and Lennon front and center.
Curtis and Ryder, while described as genuises in the film, never come to life in the telling. You never get a sense of what made them special. But, I do recommend the film for it's energy. And I would recommend doing what I did if you go see it.
Sneak a couple of those flight bottles of booze
into the theater. When the scenes involving blow and xtc come on the screen, you'll feel part of the party.

24 HOUR PARTY PEOPLE opens in the USA on August 9th.

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page