Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Furthering education...to what purpose?

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum Archive thru June 2002 » Furthering education...to what purpose? « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Archive through June 14, 2002Mr_Rabid25 6-14-02  7:36 pm
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Pikkle
Posted on Saturday, June 15, 2002 - 1:03 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

The RLI... it seemed like such a quaint idea at the time... frolicking in the fields of Gatooma...
Then those silly insurgents, always there to spoil a good thing... if it weren't for our trusty FAL's, true love would have never been spawned...
Lordhobgoblin
Posted on Saturday, June 15, 2002 - 12:52 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Then, as you heard the sounds of the AK47s getting closer an RPG7 nearly went up your ass. Time to drop your daisy chains and run like fuck.
Head_Prosthesis
Posted on Saturday, June 15, 2002 - 12:37 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I had daisies in my hair,
you had stars in your eyes

and the sun shined out of our behinds...
Pikkle
Posted on Saturday, June 15, 2002 - 12:28 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Head... remember the last time we rolled around in a field? Rhodesia, 1979... ah, those were the care free days indeed...
Anatomist
Posted on Friday, June 14, 2002 - 8:54 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Head,

The last time I remember rolling around in a field, near Boulder at a day long concert in a barn, I ended up with a series of painful welts up one arm. As I was leaving the scene, wondering what had happened, I noticed bright red signs warning that the area was infested with bubonic plague. I'm not making this up. Luckily I was so intoxicated that it didn't worry me until later, when I came to the conclusion that they were spider bites.

K.
Anatomist
Posted on Friday, June 14, 2002 - 8:47 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Pataphys,

Thanks, although most art illuminati don't agree. Apparently, what I do is classified as 'folk art' - something you're supposed to sell at art fairs.

The problem with your analogy, in my case anyway, is that I understand the critique talk and the art theory, insofar as it is actually comprehenisble... or, at least I did until I got so sick of it I stopped trying. Coming from a philosophy background, I found a lot of what was said to be literal nonsense, and what actual coherence or adequately expressed ideas I could find in it would only seem profound to someone who hadn't been exposed to the great books, basic history of western philosophy and science, and your standard books by druggies and madmen.

A little over a year ago I deliberately put all such preconceptions aside and took a contemporary art overview class that was touted as unique, respected, and nationally important, taught by art bigshot Michelle Grabner (Art Inst. Chicago, FREIZE, etc...). I read the readings, attended the lectures, and within three weeks attending lecture or discussion made me physically sick. I could spin such bullshit with ease if I had no soul. I have. I blew the lid off of Art History classes as an undergrad, but it left me cold because I was just spewing arbitrary shit I made up onto the page. No amount of praise and awe by the professors could obscure the awareness that I was just good at writing and composing, but the stuff I was saying was insincere, soulless drivel that sounded good. I'm allergic to dishonesty. I can't live like that. Been there, done it, know when someone else is trying to do it to me. If it isn't grounded in the gut, I'm not interested. I tried to find a way to make it into an aloof, amusing game, but it was simultaneously too easy and too dirty for me to make peace with.

Crowleyman,

That's 35mm with a Nikon setup and before that a borrowed Pentax K1000. You can only see a small fraction of the real detail on a jpeg. Speaking of losing your way, I got caught up in the equipment and started buying Leica/rangefinder stuff and a medium format setup, taking less and less pictures along the way. Then I liquidated almost all of it and stopped taking pictures altogether.

K.
Head_Prosthesis
Posted on Friday, June 14, 2002 - 8:15 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Gravy makes me wanna roll around in a field.
Crowlyman
Posted on Friday, June 14, 2002 - 8:08 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I just looked at your site Anatomist. Very cool. Is that traditional photography or digital?
Crowlyman
Posted on Friday, June 14, 2002 - 8:06 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I've heard many times how art students drop out because the courses center on teaching the aesthetics of BEING an artist, not performing the art. That has always been in the back of my mind.
As to the type of art I want to do? Right now I am painting in oils. I have been neglecting my drawing a bit because oils are just fun. I love photography. I think I really like a touch of everything. Wo is me! ;)

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page