Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

The After Hours Lounge

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum Archive thru January 2003 » The Monkey Hole » The After Hours Lounge « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Archive through June 11, 2002Dr_Ordinaire25 6-11-02  12:10 am
Archive through June 13, 2002Chevalier57 6-13-02  3:46 pm
Archive through June 18, 2002Pataphysician25 6-18-02  7:07 am
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Pikkle
Posted on Thursday, June 20, 2002 - 6:06 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

it's pretty fucking eerie to me...
Tristan
Posted on Thursday, June 20, 2002 - 5:39 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

It's a plot! A plot I tell you! It's the illuminati! It's the moon-men! It's...

THEM!!!!!
Mr_Rabid
Posted on Tuesday, June 18, 2002 - 1:41 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

It may have been on purpose, about the posters... part of the idea of an ad is of course to make an impact.

Make an impact, did it? Mmm hmm. Maybe they figured one of two things would happen- the subliminal associations would do it, or there would be uproar with plausible denial.

Consider- have you ever seen grass that wide and thick? No. But regular grass wouldn't resemble a building. That and the dragonfly... shit, either this designer has some badass subconcious thing going on, or this was on purpose.

Look on the current can design for Coke. See the big spurting penis?
Anatomist
Posted on Tuesday, June 18, 2002 - 1:39 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

It's hard to say whether I would have seen it if it hadn't been presented in a 9/11 context, but I immediately thought it was a deliberate allusion. I can't see what 'collapsing' could possibly have to do with two small fruit smoothies sitting on the grass. I can't read the subcaption though.

K.
Chevalier
Posted on Tuesday, June 18, 2002 - 12:42 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Meredith Monk and Ping Chong's THE GAMES. Saw it at Cal Berkeley in 1985. Fine!
Head_Prosthesis
Posted on Tuesday, June 18, 2002 - 12:37 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Lest we not forget the great...

HiDEE HO! NEIGHBOR

WILSON "MUTHAFUKKIN" WILSON
Pataphysician
Posted on Tuesday, June 18, 2002 - 12:10 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Yeah, Robert Wilson's "Civil Wars" was very minimal, slow-moving, elegant. Basic contemporary dance. Inspired by Kabuki (I think). That was back in 1984. I loved that one, but I could see why it wouldn't work with classic opera. The David Byrne music was fantastic -- and absolutely nothing at all like Talking Heads. It was more like Brian Eno playing New Orleans Jazz at half-speed.
Tortainglese
Posted on Tuesday, June 18, 2002 - 11:43 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Robert Wilson also directs a lot of opera. He has a very slick, minimalist aesthetic. I saw his version of Madame Butterfly in Venice last year. It looked a bit like the Addams Family singing Puccini. I hope he is not a lurker here reading this.
Chevalier
Posted on Tuesday, June 18, 2002 - 10:36 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I've been thinking a bit about this, and I see your point. Although I still think it's quite a stretch, a connection can be made. More important, it HAS been made. The posters should be taken down throughout Manhattan. (And within fifteen seconds after the bad publicity appeared, they probably were!)

I just hope that the artists who designed and made the poster won't be raked over the coals. There are millions of Americans outside of New York who don't have the the Twin Towers tragedy so imbedded in their consciousness. Any one of them could have done what these artists did.
Marccampbell
Posted on Tuesday, June 18, 2002 - 10:21 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

the Starbuck posters were put up around the area where the Twin Towers once stood. I can understand how the ad could evoke memories of 9/11. The blades of grass surrounding the two cups look like green skyscrapers. The word "collapse" is certainly a weird choice for an ad displayed near the site of the tragedy.
Chevalier
Posted on Tuesday, June 18, 2002 - 10:03 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

The heck if I know. It sounds like one of those silly advertising words/phrases that no one ever says in real life, like "zesty!" and "hearty!"

I suppose it's meant to make you imagine yourself falling backwards into a bed of soft snow, or a swimming pool.
Marccampbell
Posted on Tuesday, June 18, 2002 - 9:58 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

chevalier,

what does "collapse into cool" mean?
Pataphysician
Posted on Tuesday, June 18, 2002 - 9:44 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Robert Wilson, that is.
Pataphysician
Posted on Tuesday, June 18, 2002 - 9:44 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Yes! He did "Civil Wars", with David Byrne's music. I saw it. Very cool soundtrack, but never released on CD.
Barsnake
Posted on Tuesday, June 18, 2002 - 9:40 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Mr Wilson - Dennis the Menace's neighbor...
_Blackjack
Posted on Tuesday, June 18, 2002 - 9:34 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

There is also an avante-garde theatrical artist named Robert Wilson who has colaborated with Tom Waits on a couple of projects.
Chevalier
Posted on Tuesday, June 18, 2002 - 9:17 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

"here's another good reason to never set foot in a Starbucks"

I agree that there are reasons not to step into Starbuck$. But brouhahas like this one are what make the world laugh derisively at the United States.
my picture
Who on earth could look at this poster and automatically see the Twin Towers? Or dragonfly and butterfly "airliners"? Ludicrous. Political correctness taken to an absurd extreme.
Bunnylebowski
Posted on Tuesday, June 18, 2002 - 8:03 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Wilson: Soccer ball.

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page