Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

An introduction, of a sorts

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum Archive thru January 2003 » The Monkey Hole » An introduction, of a sorts « Previous Next »

Tristan
Posted on Monday, June 17, 2002 - 10:48 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Well! Yes, I'm from Sac.... and you say "Another", so I assume it's safe to figure you are also Sac located.... I wonder if there are any others?

If and when you do a tasting party, please let me know.

I would also need to know protocol... as I said, I'm new to all this, and don't have a lot of "bohemian" life to draw from. I'm an odd duck, I can assure you.
Raschied
Posted on Saturday, June 15, 2002 - 3:03 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Another Sac-town member! Welcome! Next time we have another tasting party, I'll sound off for ya. I got a couple of bottles of Emile 68 headed my way in a couple of weeks, so it may be sooner than later. And I always got Serpis on hand... :)
Tristan
Posted on Saturday, June 15, 2002 - 5:48 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I'll refrain from making a comment on your ussage of the words "Cheek" and some derivative of "Buggery" now.

You're welcome.
Chevalier
Posted on Friday, June 14, 2002 - 11:45 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Cheeky bugger.
Pataphysician
Posted on Friday, June 14, 2002 - 11:18 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

"[if] Marc is correct about Jade being out by Christmas"

But he didn't say WHICH Christmas.
Destiny
Posted on Friday, June 14, 2002 - 11:07 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I see your point Wolfgang, I'm not "waiting" for anything anymore. It seems like there is a curse in the absinthe industry. Wolvie comes out with a good product, people start ordering it, and then he discontinues the green and then completely disappears. Then, E.Pernot has delays getting their product out. And let's not even go into the Jade story. I think that it's very strange for these "problems" to be so common.

I won't hold my breath, but I still think that prices will adjust. If Emile 68 or Jade is really good and sells for approx. $80-$100 delivered, who on this forum will continue to buy Segerra or La Fee at almost the same price or a LaBleue at $150-$250?
Wolfgang
Posted on Friday, June 14, 2002 - 7:00 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

"pure speculation "

Don't expect anything. That can only lead to deception.

Personally I'm not waiting any more. If that happen, great but I've grown tired of waiting and it doesn't help things out anyway.
Tristan
Posted on Friday, June 14, 2002 - 4:45 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Yes, I must admit that expense is weighing heavily on my mind. I'm concerned that I'm going to spend $80-$100 on something new and then hate it.

Although I doubt it.

As for a cure for being a professional geek, well, I'm recommending shock therapy to all my friends... and personally, I'm thinking of school or somesuch to change careers.

As for the Lakers, well.... I'm from Sacramento. Let's just leave it at that, shall we? :D
Destiny
Posted on Friday, June 14, 2002 - 1:48 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I had second thoughts about writing that "less expensive LaBleue" comment because I thought it might seem like I know a secret, which I'm sorry to say I don't. What I should have said was that I suspect (i.e. guess) that someone will come out with with a more reasonably priced LaBleue like Wolvie did. This is pure speculation on my part, but if Emile 68 is really good and Marc is correct about Jade being out by Christmas, then I would expect that the market will adjust. I just don't see how some of these brands will be able to justify an expensive product when we will be able to get one of these new "premium" brands at a relatively reasonable price, particilarly when a blanche is easier to make than an authentically colored verte.

Sorry to get you all excited for nothing (I feel like such a prick tease!)
Crosby
Posted on Thursday, June 13, 2002 - 9:42 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Less expensive La Bleue? Tell us what you know please.
Destiny
Posted on Thursday, June 13, 2002 - 7:39 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Welcome Tristan - I'm from Cali as well, but I'm just outside of LA (you know, the place where the LAKERS are from... ooops, sorry!)

I see you're a computer geek too - I'm looking for a cure, any suggestions? I'd go with Markus and get a bottle of Oxygenee and F.Guy (or wait a couple of weeks and try some Emile 68) The Spanish stuff isn't going anywhere and some less expensive LaBleue may be coming down the road soon.

That's my two cents!
Traineraz
Posted on Thursday, June 13, 2002 - 11:52 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Same here, Wolfgang . . . but I've still only ordered 2 bottles at a time since.
Wolfgang
Posted on Thursday, June 13, 2002 - 5:22 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Well, my first order was a single bottle of Deva, when I figured out the shipping charges, I was hitting my head on my desk...
Giovannigray
Posted on Wednesday, June 12, 2002 - 11:58 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Look for "Spirits Corner" in the "Vendors" section..once in their website, click the little British flag to the left of center-screen, and click on "Absinthe" (top left).

Their prices for individual bottles are indeed very inexpensive, but their shipping costs result in a price per bottle of about $50, depending on what you buy and how many you order.
Tristan
Posted on Wednesday, June 12, 2002 - 11:41 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks for the warm welcome... alhtough I have read at least part of the thread about the worries of ordering from SC, I have a stupid Newbie question...

What is SC?

If the bottles are really $10-$15 a pop, I've been looking at the wrong pages, as I'm seeing prices in the $85-$200 a bottle range.

Regardless, thanks again.
Nolamour
Posted on Wednesday, June 12, 2002 - 2:07 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hey Tristan!

Cool name...Night owls do well here. Look for the After Hours thread.

Go for the La Bleue!
Traineraz
Posted on Wednesday, June 12, 2002 - 1:36 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I'm sure it is the better deal, Wolfgang, but most people who haven't tried one aren't going to order five at once, unless, of course, they have that "Toomuchmoneyitis" we discussed previously.

Where do I sign up for that, again?
Wolfgang
Posted on Wednesday, June 12, 2002 - 1:04 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Last time I ordered from SC, the best deal was for 5 bottles. 2 bottles is the minimum acceptable deal.
Traineraz
Posted on Wednesday, June 12, 2002 - 1:00 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Well, Tristan, perhaps you've realized by now that if you order from SC, you should use air mail, not regular mail. :)

Oh, and the shipping for TWO bottles is the same as the shipping for ONE bottle. The bottles are cheap (about $10-12), shipping's expensive (about $45). Order two different brands that you want to try together, it'll save you some bucks.
Baz
Posted on Wednesday, June 12, 2002 - 9:07 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I still have this roll of barbed wire (bobwire here in KY)!!
Pikkle
Posted on Wednesday, June 12, 2002 - 8:50 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

BOOM!
Perruche_Verte
Posted on Wednesday, June 12, 2002 - 8:33 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

You'll find the crew's absinthe ration in the fo'cas'l, and mind the loose cannons on deck.
Wolfgang
Posted on Wednesday, June 12, 2002 - 7:47 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Welcome aboard !
Tristan
Posted on Wednesday, June 12, 2002 - 5:15 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Greetings all...

This is just a quick note to say hi, and introduce myself.

My name is Ray, and I live in California in the US. I am new to the whole Absinthe thing, and am still doing research before I place an order.

I am a night owl, who works the grave shift. Hope to chat with all of tyou in turn.

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page