Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Archive through June 11, 2002

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum Archive thru January 2003 » Strictly Absinthe & Collectibles » Archive Thru July 2002 » Sugar cubes, again... » Archive through June 11, 2002 « Previous Next »

_Blackjack
Posted on Tuesday, June 11, 2002 - 11:14 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I've had no problems with Dixie Crystals. Just wet them a bit, wait a minute, and then pour the rest of the water, and they melt like butter.
Giovannigray
Posted on Tuesday, June 11, 2002 - 10:24 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Conversely, $20 worth of Dots would last about three years (at my rate of absinthe consumption).
2loucheltrec
Posted on Tuesday, June 11, 2002 - 10:06 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

yes, i prefer the route you take giovan too, $1.59 for a mere 199 cubes ... watta bawgain... really!... even if you have to use 2 cubes you still get 98 uses out of one box... that's enough for 5 bottles of .7 litre of the green...
Giovannigray
Posted on Tuesday, June 11, 2002 - 9:48 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I still recommend the pedestrian route...Domino Dots: $1.59 here in costly DC.
2loucheltrec
Posted on Tuesday, June 11, 2002 - 9:43 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

etienne- your right, that's the quote i got a few months ago...
Silent_Rich
Posted on Tuesday, June 11, 2002 - 9:38 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

about 20 bucks after shipping ... I got pricing from her on sugar cubes when doing a search around back when I started taking interest ... found it just better to buy them around here
Etienne
Posted on Tuesday, June 11, 2002 - 8:57 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I think that Betty is asking fifteen bucks a box.
Giovannigray
Posted on Monday, June 10, 2002 - 9:29 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I bought them at the Giant in McLean..I've seen them at a Safeway in Reston, and also at Sutton Place Gourmet on New Mexico Ave NW in DC (But at $6.69, too expensive).

Each of these stores had just a few boxes..not obvious unless you looked very carefully.
_Blackjack
Posted on Monday, June 10, 2002 - 9:11 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Where have you seen the Parrot cubes around DC? I've never seen them at any of the Giants, Safeways or Harris Teeters in Arlington or Falls Church.
Destiny
Posted on Monday, June 10, 2002 - 7:26 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I'm looking for the St.Louis individually wrapped cubes - I just can't find the little buggers anywhere.

I guess I'll have to do as A does and make my own.
Giovannigray
Posted on Monday, June 10, 2002 - 7:21 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

The cubes that Betty was selling can be found (at least here in the DC area) at both major supermarkets for about $5.50, and since we're in one of the most expensive areas in the country for groceries in general, the A La Perruche cubes may be even less expensive for you. Keep in mind, these aren't the individually-wrapped ones.
Destiny
Posted on Monday, June 10, 2002 - 7:20 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Must be the rage from the meat and steroids. Can't say I didn't try.
Anatomist
Posted on Monday, June 10, 2002 - 7:17 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

D,

Do the letters "FO" mean anything to you?

K.
Destiny
Posted on Monday, June 10, 2002 - 7:13 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

A - I knew there was sense of humor underneath all those muscles. Welcome, buddy!

Now, if I could only get you to smile...
Traineraz
Posted on Monday, June 10, 2002 - 7:07 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Well, that DOES sound tastier than puppy extract.
Nolamour
Posted on Monday, June 10, 2002 - 7:07 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Yes, with the right order...Betty will throw in the French Sugar Cubes on the house.
Anatomist
Posted on Monday, June 10, 2002 - 7:05 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Sugar cubes are inhumane. They use hand-pressed extract of newborn puppies as the glue that holds them together. I saw a documentary on it. Warehouses full of Bulgarians peasants are locked in and forced to use old-fashioned printer's presses attached to a network of funnels and surgical tubing to produce the extract - a clear viscous liquid. The puppies are hauled in from nearby puppy farms in garbage trucks.

The only humane way to make sugar cubes is to jack off in a bowl full of sugar and sculpt them by hand.

K.
Destiny
Posted on Monday, June 10, 2002 - 7:03 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I just don't like having to use two cubes for the Pernod 68, so I want one big ol' cube (decoratively wrapped to obscure the crassness of it's size.)

Does she really have them and how much? I heard that she sometimes throws in a few freebies to her customers but didn't know she actually sells them by the box. Does anyone know?
Absinthespoon
Posted on Monday, June 10, 2002 - 6:57 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I have one more box that I hand-carried back from Paris. Email me if interested.
Traineraz
Posted on Monday, June 10, 2002 - 6:53 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hey, if you're willing to pay for individually-wrapped imported sugar cubes instead of going to the grocery store, ya ain't got no right to bitch about the price!

There's yer lip, buddy! I tried to hold back but JUST COULDN'T RESIST!
Pikkle
Posted on Monday, June 10, 2002 - 6:53 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Sans sucre... it's the only way to fly!
Giovannigray
Posted on Monday, June 10, 2002 - 6:52 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

A few months ago, Betty was selling A La Perruche sugar cubes (not wrapped), which your local supermarket also sells, by the way. I'm still slumming with Domino Dots..are these wrapped French cubes that much better?
Destiny
Posted on Monday, June 10, 2002 - 6:47 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hmmmmm... should I patronize the dark side?
Traineraz
Posted on Monday, June 10, 2002 - 6:44 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I thought I read somewhere that Betty has em.
Destiny
Posted on Monday, June 10, 2002 - 6:41 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Does anyone (yet) have a contact for those wrapped French sugar cubes?

Don't gimme no lip, just point me to the damn cubes!

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page