Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Markus Is the ma

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum Archive thru January 2003 » Strictly Absinthe & Collectibles » Archive Thru July 2002 » Markus Is the ma « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Archive through June 15, 2002Wolfgang25 6-15-02  9:55 am
Archive through June 18, 2002Etienne25 6-18-02  7:21 pm
Archive through June 19, 2002Mr_Rabid25 6-19-02  1:49 pm
Archive through June 21, 2002Barsnake25 6-21-02  9:59 am
Archive through June 22, 2002Mr_Rabid24 6-22-02  12:49 pm
Archive through June 23, 2002Mr_Rabid25 6-23-02  3:10 am
Archive through June 24, 2002_Blackjack25 6-24-02  12:27 pm
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Traineraz
Posted on Monday, July 15, 2002 - 10:03 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

For all you trebuchet freaks (since this is the thread under which that discussion somehow occurred), there will be a Secrets of Lost Empires episode featuring catapults and trebuchets on PBS tomorrow night.
Wolfgang
Posted on Thursday, June 27, 2002 - 1:50 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

P.V. Yes, two time in a row. Four bottles. Markus being a gentlemen send it a second time free of charge with a different description but it didn`t got through nad I got the custom paper one more time. It may have to do with his not so subtle exporter name... I don`t know what to do now (and he probably don`t know what to do himself). We will see but for sure it sucks big time.
Lordhobgoblin
Posted on Thursday, June 27, 2002 - 1:43 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Tristan,

Thanks for that info. I may well find other methods than my usual method of goading the Dane-axeman to swing at me, quickly backing off just enough and immediately charging in to slice the bastard's belly while the momentum of his swings prevents him from doing anything about it.

Hobgoblin
Pikkle
Posted on Thursday, June 27, 2002 - 9:36 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Naw, they just think he's a little too old to be breast feeding...
Perruche_Verte
Posted on Thursday, June 27, 2002 - 9:21 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Did customs confiscate a package, Wolfgang?
Wolfgang
Posted on Thursday, June 27, 2002 - 9:10 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Up to now, some custom agents are pulling away this nipple from my thirsty mouth damn it !
Pikkle
Posted on Thursday, June 27, 2002 - 9:03 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Markus... you are the nipple from which I gain my nourishment... you are the MA!!!
Mclion
Posted on Thursday, June 27, 2002 - 2:46 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

...I though it was about mideval fighting art :-))

Love you all!
Traineraz
Posted on Thursday, June 27, 2002 - 2:38 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Quote:

Hey, is this thread about my glorious service, or about guns :-))

Markus

It's about you being the ma (nickname for Mother). I think it has something to do with you keeping people's bottles (or ba-bas) full. [SLURP SLURP SLURP] I suppose that could be interpreted as having something to do with the high quality of your service! :)
Mclion
Posted on Thursday, June 27, 2002 - 2:09 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

No Pikkle - I stay!
Pikkle
Posted on Thursday, June 27, 2002 - 1:55 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Go Lions!!!
Mclion
Posted on Thursday, June 27, 2002 - 12:50 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Really interesting discussion. Would you mind if we now switch to football?

I guess you guys played a better match, but finaly the goal counts.... We'll see how this ends on Sunday: Germany-Brazil!

Markus
Tristan
Posted on Wednesday, June 26, 2002 - 11:11 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hobby,

If you look for it, you can find online copies of "Jue de la Hache", one of the ancient books, this one having to do with polearms in combat.

An interesting read, and quite short.
Pikkle
Posted on Wednesday, June 26, 2002 - 10:57 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

You go Markus! Bitch slap these dissenters!!!
2loucheltrec
Posted on Wednesday, June 26, 2002 - 10:48 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

sorry markus, i made a comment to chevalier (i think) about using a trebuchet instead of a generic catapult and it grew from there.... my penance will be to order from you soon (after the nyc gt)
Mclion
Posted on Wednesday, June 26, 2002 - 9:46 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hey, is this thread about my glorious service, or about guns :-))

Markus
Lordhobgoblin
Posted on Wednesday, June 26, 2002 - 9:47 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I suppose something like a Dane-axe will go through anything. At the battle of Hastings there is an eye-witness account of a Saxon Dane-axe splitting a Norman horse and rider in two with one swipe, so I guess chain mail would be no problem.. Dane-axes really are vicious war weapons but once you swing one you are fully commited and you can't stop the swing. If the axeman misses and a warrior with a shorter weapon can get inside the axe swing (as the axeman will not now have his protective 'figure-of-8' swing pattern for cover) then the axeman was history. I like taking on Dane-axes, but I'm small and quick on my feet and the crowd love it when someone with a sword or a small hand axe takes out a Dane-axe.

Hobgoblin
Tristan
Posted on Tuesday, June 25, 2002 - 10:33 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

One of the members of my fighting company just got a hauberk to wear under his plate. Very cool looking.

I took a swipe at him with a buck knife. Turned the blade quite nicely. Then I ran.... he didn't know I was planning on testing his mail.. hehehehe
Pikkle
Posted on Tuesday, June 25, 2002 - 12:46 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Re-enactors scare me...
Bunnylebowski
Posted on Tuesday, June 25, 2002 - 11:49 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Markus is the man (or ma or pa). I tried 2nd class shipping this time to save money and it only took 3 days longer than 1st class. Too bad he doesn't sell chain mail or 12 sided dice....

My wizard has 18 dexterity, 12 strength, but only 8 armor, can you help me Pikkle?

By the way my home theater speakers woofers are made out of Kevlar. Talk about moving air!
_Blackjack
Posted on Tuesday, June 25, 2002 - 11:04 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

There is some amount of archeological and anecdotal evidence of mail being cut, especially by axes, falchions and heavier war-swords. It wasn't common, but it happened. The development of war-swords (hand-and-a-half swords, bastard swords, whatever) was part of the imputus in the medieval arms race for the greater use of plate instead of/in addition to mail. Which, of course, lead to the greater use of maces and war hammers, which lead to...

I've seen a couple of demonstrations where well-placed sword-bows sheated clean into heavy-gauge helmets. Now, this would be a one-in-a-million shot if the target was moving and armed, but I seem to recall a few split helmets at Wisby.

Really awful business, when you think aout it. I don't know why I find it so facinating.
Lordhobgoblin
Posted on Tuesday, June 25, 2002 - 10:31 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Chain-mail was designed to turn a cutting blow into a crushing blow. No blade can possibly cut through it but a full-on swing will still leave you with shattered limbs and crushed organs. And no protection at all from arrows or sharp spears as the points simply spilt the rings apart with ease.

For re-enactors today chain-mail is simply cosmetic and offers no protection at all since the blades used will be blunt. But it sure does look good.

Hobgoblin
Pikkle
Posted on Monday, June 24, 2002 - 10:51 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

At work we use woven Kevlar arm guards for persons working with banding material and the edges of steel sheet... the guards prove quite effective at stopping what would normally be a myriad of stitch worthy cuts and scraps... now if you hacked down on one of these so protected arms, different story... steel toe boots though, very effective, had a buddy who wore his home one day, went to work on his car which was sitting on the incline drive of his garage... well wouldn't you know it, one of the jack stands slipped and the rotor fell right on his foot... not even a bruise... too bad he never wore them at work.
Tristan
Posted on Monday, June 24, 2002 - 10:34 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

For what it's worth, if you read enough accounts of tournament battles, and some other fighting, usually the armor did a good job of stopping the blades from cutting.

However, these guys were much stronger than folks tend to think. It would still dent, ding, crush and collapse the steel.

Oft times a fighter would collapse in the middle of his fighting, due to a slew of minor injuries... none of which on their own were deadly, but would often accumulate enough blood loss/ trauma damage to do in your brave soldier.

Also, having been smacked with a blunt force weapon while wearing chain, I can assure you it only helps so much.

You do end up with cool looking bruises that look like waffles, however.
Lordhobgoblin
Posted on Monday, June 24, 2002 - 12:48 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I suppose if it'll stop an axe it'll stop a sword.

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page