Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Archive through June 16, 2002

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum Archive thru January 2003 » The Monkey Hole » Holly Balls!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! » Archive through June 16, 2002 « Previous Next »

Mogan_David
Posted on Sunday, June 16, 2002 - 6:52 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Artemis,

I'm not sure why you felt I needed a class on Lambic ales, but I stand by my comparison. Lambic ales use strains of lacto bacillus that would ruin any other type of beer. These bactiria have been bread from wild strains that regularly ruin beer when proper sanitization procedures aren't followed at the brewery. Therefore I consider them nasty (except when I'm enjoying a fine lambic).

My point was that simply nothing is out of bounds with me if it enhances the character of the final product. It's not poor distilling parctice if each and every batch has the same toasty character. I would consider the toastyness an intentional decision on the part of the distiller, and therefore not bad practice.

Like you, I would like to experience an "authentic" absinthe, but I also enjoy the variety of non-authenic absinthe available for me to sample. If I had to make a choice on what I would drink forever, the original Pernod or the variety of present and future brews. I would choose the latter.

I know it's strange comming from a right wing nutcase like myself, but you gotta open up your mind a little. There is no "good" absinthe, there is only what you like. How can you tell me anything about Kubler unless you've tried it?

MD
_Blackjack
Posted on Sunday, June 16, 2002 - 6:42 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I wouldn't say it is "pure and simple" crap. It seems to be fairly complex crap with some amount of effort put into it, based on the reviews. Keep some perspecive. If not, you end up diluting the impact of terms like "crap" when you need to describe something like Hill's.
Artemis
Posted on Sunday, June 16, 2002 - 5:48 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I haven't tasted Kubler, but based on reviews by people who have tasted it AND good absinthe, it's crap, pure and simple. If you like it, you like it, but once you've had good absinthe, you'll change your tune.
Artemis
Posted on Sunday, June 16, 2002 - 5:46 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Lambic is fermented by bacteria in addition to yeast; that's why it's sour. I like lambic just fine. Lambic is supposed to taste the way it tastes. It's made that way by brewers who have full knowledge of the process.

No absinthe is supposed to taste burnt. It tastes that way because the people who made it didn't know what the hell they were doing. There is a vast difference. It may be a matter of taste, but the Lambic analogy is not sound.

And most Belgian ales use nothing but yeast, not bacteria of any kind, much less "all sorts of nasty".
Raschied
Posted on Saturday, June 15, 2002 - 4:48 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I like Serpis, so what do I know.... I know what I like, that's what!
Pikkle
Posted on Saturday, June 15, 2002 - 1:31 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Yeah, and I'm one of them... and don't forget it... and I'm one of them!!!! oh, I said that... bye, bye...
Admin
Posted on Saturday, June 15, 2002 - 1:08 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

of course! everyone has different tastes ... several people have been very pleased with Kubler. always try before you judge, and judge by your own tastes.
Mogan_David
Posted on Saturday, June 15, 2002 - 12:16 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Kallisti,

Well now you've gone and made it sound nasty.

Oh well, I guess to each his own.

I find the toastyness lends character to the final product, if that comes from poor distilling practices so be it.

It all depends on your point of view. Belgian ales use all sorts of nasty bacteria that other brewers take great pains to keep out of their beers. However it gives Lambic ales a unique character that make them highly prized among people who love beer.

I don't pretend to be a sofisticated contesure (hell I don't even pretend to know how to spell contesure) of absinthe, I just know what I like, and I like the Kubler.

Kisses, MD
Admin
Posted on Saturday, June 15, 2002 - 11:37 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

heh, the exact phrase was "burnt cookie shoe polish" ... as was pointed out to me, the burnt cookie part is from it being over cooked, (empyreuma, see below) ... and the shoe polish bit is, I think, an over use of melissa, which has a sort of lemon pledge/shoe polish flavor when used in quantity.

Empyreuma \Em`py*reu"ma\ (?), n. [NL., from Gr. &?; a live coal covered with ashes, fr. &?; to set on fire, fr. &?;: cf. F. empyreume. See Empyreal.] (Chem.) The peculiar smell and taste arising from products of decomposition of animal or vegetable substances when burnt in close vessels. [
  -- web1913
_Blackjack
Posted on Saturday, June 15, 2002 - 11:18 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

The opinion of those who have some experience with distilling is that said "toasty" flavor is a byproduct of pushing the distillation process to far, if I recall correctly. Obvciously, your milage may vary. If you like it, who's to argue.
Mogan_David
Posted on Saturday, June 15, 2002 - 9:28 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Magicman,

If you like the F. Guy, you'll like Kubler even better.

The louche is absolutely fantastic. I could go into all of the different herbs in it's makeup, but I'd just be bullshitting you, I can only say that it is very ballanced and that whatever they put in there works well with everything else they put in there.

I read a review about Kubler (Kalisti?). The reviewer didn't like it, and said something about how it tasted like shoe polish. I would have to strongly dissagree. What tasted like shoe pollish to her, tasted somehow toasty to me. I have no idea what gives it this character, but trust me it works.

Anyway I know you'll enjoy the Kubler. As for me, I've completely given up on trying to pick a favorite. I like the variety of tastes, and like wine I enjoy the fact that they are all a little different.

Cheers.
Themagicman
Posted on Friday, June 14, 2002 - 1:58 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Yes Me like very very much very very very much
did I say that I like F. Guy very much just thought I would let you all know that I like F. Guy alot I mean Very much How is that for a review if you would like I could give you a review
but I like it very much I think I need to leave work right now so I can get an early start on the weekend... thanks everyone I love you all even Pikkle.
Themagicman
Posted on Friday, June 14, 2002 - 11:58 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hay Mogan David what do you think of Kubler?

I will be trying that tonight.
Chevalier
Posted on Friday, June 14, 2002 - 8:56 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

(Pushing giant catapult back into garage)
Wolfgang
Posted on Friday, June 14, 2002 - 8:55 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

And I`m out of Moonman`s anyway...
Wolfgang
Posted on Friday, June 14, 2002 - 8:54 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

No need for catapult, I will get two bottles soon (today I hope!)
Chevalier
Posted on Friday, June 14, 2002 - 8:29 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Wolfgang, I'd be very happy to catapult a glass of Francois Guy toward Canada if you'd catapult back a glass of Moonman's #whatever! ;-)
Joalco
Posted on Friday, June 14, 2002 - 8:23 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Pikkle knows not of what he speaks. Thus far, the Francois Guy is easily the best commercially available absinthe.... And it doesn't taste like Segarra, dammit.

Maybe he *does* know about the whole Ted Bundy thing, though... That might explain a few things.
Chevalier
Posted on Friday, June 14, 2002 - 7:22 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

For all I know, Francois Guy may not be sophisticated. It might not be complex. Chances are, it doesn't have a range of flavors and a fascinating nose.

But that's just perfect for me, because I'm not a connoisseur, alas. There's a good chance I wouldn't appreciate complexity even if I had access to it, which I don't. I know what I like, that's all. And I like F. Guy! A whole liter, and it's bloody tasty! Makes you want more. And you can get more, because Markus will provide. (That's more than we can say about Wolvie and Andy.) And it won't break the bank.
Wolfgang
Posted on Friday, June 14, 2002 - 7:02 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

For sure I'll bore the hell out of you with reviews when I get it.
Mogan_David
Posted on Friday, June 14, 2002 - 6:04 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I had a nice package from Markus sitting on my doorstep yesterday.

I have to agree with magic guy.

FG is Fucking Good.

I spent the evening sampling the FG, Kubler, and Deva 70. So far I prefer the Kubler, but it will require more testing before I'm sure.
Wolfgang
Posted on Friday, June 14, 2002 - 5:13 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I want it now.
Pikkle
Posted on Friday, June 14, 2002 - 2:54 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

it's okay... like Ted Bundy was an okay lover...
Traineraz
Posted on Friday, June 14, 2002 - 12:12 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Holly balls? Is that anything like athlete's foot?

Well, that's quite a review, magicman, I'm guessing that means you liked it?
Themagicman
Posted on Thursday, June 13, 2002 - 10:58 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Just had a glass of F.Guy WOW!!!!!!WOW!!!!WOW!!!!!
Holly Balls if I never have to have deva again that would be fine Just Dont take my F.GUY
this stuff is the best I have ever had

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page