Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

A Brief Interjection from a Road Wear...

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum Archive thru January 2003 » Strictly Absinthe & Collectibles » Archive Thru July 2002 » A Brief Interjection from a Road Weary Pontalissien « Previous Next »

Wolfgang
Posted on Wednesday, June 19, 2002 - 6:30 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I sens an upcomming update on Vera`s site... Please guys, write us articles and send some pics !
Tabreaux
Posted on Wednesday, June 19, 2002 - 5:13 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

"So hows things going on the JL front then Ted?"

We're in the final stages and making our way through the last 'hoops of fire'.
Silent_Rich
Posted on Wednesday, June 19, 2002 - 2:53 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Damned if I know but man am I drunk ...
Timk
Posted on Wednesday, June 19, 2002 - 2:29 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

So hows things going on the JL front then Ted?
Mr_Rabid
Posted on Wednesday, June 19, 2002 - 1:52 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

The below should be read in the voice of William Shatner, at his beat poet, Captain Kirk scariest.
Mr_Rabid
Posted on Wednesday, June 19, 2002 - 1:51 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

This girl, DEVA, she dances

not like Fred or Ginger,

But sweaty, fast, hard, hot

(and badly)

to techno

fastfastfastfastfastermutherfucker!

She's the star of anise, the macerated momma, the oily hot bitch, mixed and ghastly, but available, a cheap whore ready to give you

those

secondary effects
And you'll testify

she said she was 18!
Tabreaux
Posted on Wednesday, June 19, 2002 - 1:40 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

When I used the word "modern" in reference to Emile 68, I simply intended to illustrate the fact that it represents an evolution of traditional Pontarlier absinthe. This product certainly is not 'modern' in any other sense, being that it is crafted from materials of traditional quality and sources, using the actual antique equipment, etc. This being the case, it is far removed from the likes of truly modern products such as Deva, Pernod 68, etc.
Destiny
Posted on Tuesday, June 18, 2002 - 7:29 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

>>Therefore, it is IMO the best example of a modern absinthe...

Interesting wording. Although Jade's taste is sometimes described as "vinatge" or comparable to traditional premium brands, would you still decscribe it as a "modern" absinthe or do you use the word in the sense of a "contemorary, possibly untraditional interpretation"?

Don't mean to start shit, Ted. I value your reviews and use them as educational material for my palate; I'm just trying to put the review into a perspective I can understand.
Tabreaux
Posted on Tuesday, June 18, 2002 - 4:23 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

"Whether or not we end up personally liking Emile 68, there's no doubt that it has the "Good Absinthekeeping" seal of approval."

I will post a thorough review upon my return.
Bunnylebowski
Posted on Tuesday, June 18, 2002 - 1:24 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Actually, Ian just said they are now shipping Friday.
Chevalier
Posted on Tuesday, June 18, 2002 - 9:36 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Wolfgang, they are shipping as of tomorrow (Wednesday, 19 June).
Crosby
Posted on Tuesday, June 18, 2002 - 9:35 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

The e-mail I received from Frenchman Phil said they start shipping tomorrow. That was as of 6/14.
Chevalier
Posted on Tuesday, June 18, 2002 - 9:35 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Sounds like this was an epic trip for you, Ted.

These reviews of yours should help a lot of folks here decide what to buy and how much of it. Whether or not we end up personally liking Emile 68, there's no doubt that it has the "Good Absinthekeeping" seal of approval.

As always, thank you.
Wolfgang
Posted on Tuesday, June 18, 2002 - 9:29 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

On the site they are still telling it will ship in 2-3 weeks... Are they shipping right now ?
Nolamour
Posted on Tuesday, June 18, 2002 - 8:42 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

I have ordered some Emile. They said that they would ship by courier in 2 or 3 days and they are insured up to $150. - I am looking forward to it, although, the shipping time seems hard to believe.
Wolfgang
Posted on Tuesday, June 18, 2002 - 5:29 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

So that would make Emile 68 the first good quality commercially availlable absinthe ?

Let's hope they will be able to provide enough of it... I'm waiting until end of July, after my vacations, to order some.

Good to see you around, it's been a long time.
Chrysippvs
Posted on Tuesday, June 18, 2002 - 1:36 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

God-Speed Ted Breaux...

- J
Tabreaux
Posted on Tuesday, June 18, 2002 - 1:15 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

A few notes in no particular order.....

To clarify things a bit, F. Guy is an artisanally distilled genuine product. It is widely sold in the region. FWIW however, it seems to be far more of an unconventional modern interpretation than anything else (discussed here before). Those in the region who are 'in the know' squarely concur. Nevertheless, it is more or less the regional flagship product seemingly for no other reason that it is the most widely distributed.

Kubler (IMO) is barely an apprentice-grade product, and this is no secret to regional connoisseurs (read my review) as well. The makers of this product have been in business about 10 years, so one can disregard the marketing propaganda that alludes to century of tradition, yada yada. FWIW, the other product made by this company (Rincette) is equally unimpressive, and is sorely outclassed by its competition (Pernot and Guy liqueurs d'anise, etc.).

Emile 68 is an artisanally crafted product. After having the opportunity to sample four different val de travers 'La Bleue' and speak with their makers at length, I find Emile 68 to be squarely in the same echelon with the best of those, and is prepared by someone who is both knowledgable and experienced. Therefore, it is IMO the best example of a modern absinthe that is derived from traditional equipment, methods, and materials, and is therefore comparatively an obviously good value.

These blurbs represent my perspective after exploring the region at length, and having had the opportunity to put my finger on the pulse of the people, the market, and some of these regional products and their makers.

BTW, Secretariat was 'yummy'.

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page