Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Archive through June 18, 2002

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum Archive thru January 2003 » The Monkey Hole » Jobs? » Archive through June 18, 2002 « Previous Next »

Etienne
Posted on Tuesday, June 18, 2002 - 4:58 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

People are also far more likely to defend their lives and homes with a handgun.
Etienne
Posted on Tuesday, June 18, 2002 - 4:56 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Tristan;

People hunt with handguns, people target shoot with handguns. A handgun is no more "designed" to kill a person than anything else.

Guns are designed to fire a small projectile at high velocities, which they do with varying degrees of success. Anything beyond that is the intention of the user, not an inanimate piece of metal.
Tristan
Posted on Tuesday, June 18, 2002 - 4:42 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Also note: it wasn't to be random... had I done such a thing, I had particular targets picked out.

Most of them students, about 6, and 1 teacher.
Tristan
Posted on Tuesday, June 18, 2002 - 4:41 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Anatomist- Actually, it was more of a fear of being gunned down by the cops.

And I thought at the time that the things that were being done to me deserved that sort of retribution.

In fact, if the same sorts of things were occuring, I would probably have the same thoughts today.

Note- I am a successful parent (to date) and a contributing member of society. What happens in Jr. High is usually not a good indicator of what you will become, IMO.
Anatomist
Posted on Tuesday, June 18, 2002 - 4:33 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

"I knew that if I had walked into W.W. Mitchell Jr. High and just started pulling the trigger, that I would be responsible for what happened to me."

You? Faced with the apparently desireable prospect of randomly murdering a bunch of kids in school, you chose not to because you were worried about what would happen to YOU? Man, a generation of parents really have failed.
K.
Traineraz
Posted on Tuesday, June 18, 2002 - 12:41 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

That's why the little Columbine Cowards killed themselves afterward . . . so they wouldn't HAVE to take responsibility.
Tristan
Posted on Monday, June 17, 2002 - 11:25 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Came close, numerous times. School was bad for Tristan, a lot of the time.

However, unlike many in today's society, I am all for personal responsibility. I knew that if I had walked into W.W. Mitchell Jr. High and just started pulling the trigger, that I would be responsible for what happened to me.

Not worth it, in the end.

And I got better! :D
Marccampbell
Posted on Monday, June 17, 2002 - 11:20 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

a computer geek with a gun. Sounds like a dangerous combination. Columbine, anyone?
Tristan
Posted on Monday, June 17, 2002 - 11:06 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

A gun, alone and by itself, is no more a thing of violence than a baseball bat or a tire-iron.

The only difference between those items and a handgun is that a handgun is designed for no other purpose than to kill a human being.

Rifles, at lest as sold here in the US, are usually of the hunting variety. Or the quite collectible "Assault Rifle" types.

But I am no more likely to shoot someone than I am to beat them to death with a baseball bat. Unless they come into my home with no permission, with the intent to harm me and mine... then, after I shoot them, and beat the body with a baseball bat, we can discuss the ethical ramifications.....
Bunnylebowski
Posted on Friday, June 14, 2002 - 5:54 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

A gun is a tool for violence. Whether it's protection or not, it's still violence. Hockey is also glorification of violence (and I like it!). OK, I admit NRA and hockey don't really have shit in common. It was a lousy analogy.

Chris Rock said: "Guns don't kill people. Bullets kill people. What need in this country is bullet control. We should make every bullet cost $5000. That way if somebody get shot, you know the mother fucker had to have done something wrong!"
Traineraz
Posted on Friday, June 14, 2002 - 5:20 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Well put, Rabid.

Believing that law-abiding people should have access to the same weapons as criminals isn't quite the same as getting one's rocks off watching people beat one another up on a sheet of ice.

Before anyone says, "But the police will take care of it . . ." When my little rental house was sublet to a drug dealer (crack and heroin) without my knowledge, the police were getting regular calls from several neighbors (who had not yet met me, unfortunately) . . . and did NOTHING for six months. The police never even contacted me until AFTER the dealer moved out on his own.

A neighbor suggested that the police were waiting for another neighbor to contact me and for me to not immediately seek eviction. See, if that happened, they would be able to take my property away and auction it off.

Sorry if I'm not too enthused about the Tucson police or their ability (or desire) to deal with crime; seems they're more interested in finding ways to augment their income than protect the taxpayers who fund their salaries.
Mr_Rabid
Posted on Friday, June 14, 2002 - 4:40 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Most people in a hockey game, they know what they are getting into and they like it.

Most people in a gunfight, probably they didn't sign up for it.
Bunnylebowski
Posted on Friday, June 14, 2002 - 4:18 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

NRA sticker, but you don't like Hockey? You support tools of violence, but don't get a kick out of actually watching violence?
sorry, don't mean to offend. Just trying to point out a little irony, that's all...
Traineraz
Posted on Friday, June 14, 2002 - 2:34 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

It DID get me to Casa Grande (70 miles) and back today, and I was only soaked and sticky on 90% of my body by the time I got home! (Designing a yard for a couple living in one of them there stucco farms.)

Head -

Nope, no gun rack.

But there IS that NRA sticker . . . Oops, I shouldn't have told you that. Nope, shouldn't have told you that at all.
Wolfgang
Posted on Friday, June 14, 2002 - 5:11 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

And my car got the automatic oil-change option...Very usefull, never have to bring it to garage for maintenance, I just have to add some oil every two weeks !

And I know what you mean by the water-speaker-static trio ...
Head_Prosthesis
Posted on Friday, June 14, 2002 - 12:28 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Gun Rack?

come on, gimmie somethin to work with...
Traineraz
Posted on Friday, June 14, 2002 - 12:09 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Heck, no!

Nor do I have fuzzy dice (or anything else) hanging from the rear-view mirror.
Head_Prosthesis
Posted on Thursday, June 13, 2002 - 7:06 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Just tell me one thing...

...you don't have one of those plaid bean bag ashtrays do you?
Traineraz
Posted on Thursday, June 13, 2002 - 7:03 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Who, me? That was a rental!

MY truck cost $600, several pieces have fallen off since I bought it, and it has no A/C. The driver's side window is permanently open about 2" because the motor is burning out, there's a towel on the seat so the spring won't catch my jeans (and leg) again, and the only way to get heat in the winter is to put it on vent and draw it off the engine. When it rains, water splashes into the passenger side speaker, so that speaker is all staticky now. The ultimate greenhouse on wheels, it's about 15-20 degrees hotter inside than out, even with the vent going and windows open (as far as they open). How's that for a hot rod! :)

Aside from that, it's a wonderful little truck. Gets me where I'm going with 25 mpg city, 27 highway, and no matter HOW hot it is out, it feels cool and refreshing when I get OUT.

Lucky me, I get to drive to Casa Grande tomorrow to consult on a design for a suburb yard. Why didn't these people call me in February!
Crowlyman
Posted on Thursday, June 13, 2002 - 7:00 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Thanks for the email String. I mailed u back in case u missed it.

Thanks all for your support.
Who else hails from my area?
Head_Prosthesis
Posted on Thursday, June 13, 2002 - 6:45 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

*BLOOP*

oops... another one.
Head_Prosthesis
Posted on Thursday, June 13, 2002 - 6:44 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Quit pouring all the money into
that bad ass ride of yours, Hotrod!
Traineraz
Posted on Thursday, June 13, 2002 - 6:39 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

But . . . if I had a million dollars to spend on a TooMuchMoneyitis treatment, I would already HAVE TooMuchMoneyitis . . . Why, YOUR treatment is just a CURE! I don't WANT the CURE!!

Poor Head over there, he's got the dyslexic's version, TooMuchMonkeyitis. They keep flying out his ass, like winged hamsters.
Wolfgang
Posted on Thursday, June 13, 2002 - 6:34 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

After making some research, I found out that the TooMuchMoneyitism treatment cost one million US$ ...
Traineraz
Posted on Thursday, June 13, 2002 - 6:20 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Remember, I still lack TooMuchMoneyitis!

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page