Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List Edit Profile Register  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Archive through June 18, 2002

Sepulchritude Forum » The Absinthe Forum Archive thru January 2003 » Strictly Absinthe & Collectibles » Archive Thru July 2002 » Markus Is the ma » Archive through June 18, 2002 « Previous Next »

Etienne
Posted on Tuesday, June 18, 2002 - 7:21 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

There was a small scale trebuchet during the middle ages that used man power to operate. Instead of a weight bucket, there were a number of ropes tied to the end of the arm. Just get everyone to pull real hard...

Like I said, though, small scale.
Anatomist
Posted on Tuesday, June 18, 2002 - 7:10 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

I was real keen on building a trebuchet a while back. I eventually gave up on the idea of a weight bucket... too much dead weight to haul around. My last idea was to use human beings as the weight. Make the fulcrum kind of high, and put a cross bar on the weight end with enough room for four people to hold on - who could jump off of boxes in unison. This way you get 700+ pounds of weight that hauls itself to the launch site. I was also going to make it out of steel, with a much more geometrically sound structure than the one in the photo. Unfortunately, the whole thing cost too much and would've been too cumbersome to keep, so I scratched the whole project.

K.
Etienne
Posted on Tuesday, June 18, 2002 - 5:10 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Shotguns with a pistol grip on the slide are a real pain to shoot anyway.
Etienne
Posted on Tuesday, June 18, 2002 - 5:08 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

There are actually a fair number of folks who are into early artillery. Some are in Medieval Studies departments, but if you hang with the Society for Creative Anachronism they're easy to find. If you ever get the chance to go to the Pennsic War don't pass it up, you'll never forget it.
Dr_Ordinaire
Posted on Tuesday, June 18, 2002 - 5:01 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

"Now this is the most elegant piece of artillery I've ever seen "

IF that 12 gauge shotgun is loaded with 3" Magnum shells and IF she shoots from that stance THEN

she can kiss her right titty goodbye!

Back to trebuchets, there was a program on PBS or Discovery or something about a group of history nuts who built and shot a full size trebuchet, the projectiles were melon-size.

The thing was amazingly accurate...and quite destructive.
_Blackjack
Posted on Tuesday, June 18, 2002 - 2:09 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

The action of a trebuchet and a "classic" catapult are quite different. It's the difference between a sling and a sling-shot, if you get my meaning. One goes "swoosh" and the other goes "boing".
_Blackjack
Posted on Tuesday, June 18, 2002 - 2:01 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

The whole siege-engine thing is kinda confusing, because the terminology changed over time. The terms catapulta and ballista were not used with enough consistancey by Roman authors to be able to create hard and fast definitions. Early authors tended to use catapulta to refer to long, crossbow-like engines designed to hurl arows, and ballista for also bow-like, but more square, engines designed to hurl stones. However, as time passed, ballista was also used in reference to arrow-throwing weapons, and catapulta seems to have become a more generalized term.

Scorpio and onager are even more vague, since scorpio has been clearly used by some authors to refer to arrow-throwing devices, and yet other authors refer specifically to scorpio and onager as synonyms, and proceed to describe the classic Wile-E.-Coyote-Style torsion-driven stone-throwing arm.
Etienne
Posted on Tuesday, June 18, 2002 - 11:46 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

What he said. ;-)
Lordhobgoblin
Posted on Tuesday, June 18, 2002 - 11:44 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Many thanks Tristan.
Tristan
Posted on Tuesday, June 18, 2002 - 11:40 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Hobgoblin,

A catapult works by tensing up rope, and releasing the pressure all at once, propelling the launching arm up, then stopping said arm abruptly, causing your projectile to go flying along merrily...

A Trebuschet is much much larger... the momenum is generated by a counter-weighted arm that has what is basically a sling attached.

The arm swings when the weight is dropped, bringing the arm up to a more or less vertical position. The sling, which can be quite long in some cases, adds that extra bit of "whip" to the projectile, much like kids playing crack the whip.

Trebuchet were the be-all end all seige engine. They could handle a bigger load than most catapults, and were less complex.

Trebuchets, in my opinion, are the shit.
Lordhobgoblin
Posted on Tuesday, June 18, 2002 - 10:46 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Pikkle,

Can you fix me up with your Mom? I'd like to give her one.

Hobgoblin
Lordhobgoblin
Posted on Tuesday, June 18, 2002 - 10:45 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Ettiene,

I've used a reproduction Roman onager on few ocassions and it doesn't look a million miles away from the trebuchet in the picture, it just looks like an onager with a slightly different design (granted I've never used a medieval trebuchet and ok the pivot is in the centre of the arm on an onager). In principle they seem pretty similar to me, a heavy weight pulls downwards causing an arm to move upwards throwing a projectile as it goes. Or does a trebuchet work in a different manner, I am genuinely interested in knowing.

Hobgoblin
Traineraz
Posted on Monday, June 17, 2002 - 12:09 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

HER family wuz LONG-TERM residents of their town. They didn't go nowhere. They even done took the wheels off cuz they wuz STAYIN.
Nolamour
Posted on Monday, June 17, 2002 - 8:01 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

What the Phuk?

Looks like the Rambo chick got shot in the belly...oh wait, it's one of those extremely attractive belly button tatoos. Gosh I hope she has one on her lower back as well. There's nothing like bending her over for the first time and seeing the Deer Rack Tat looking right at you. Not to mention the classy arm bands, she must come from a good family.
Wolfgang
Posted on Monday, June 17, 2002 - 7:26 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Damn, maybe pikkle is not that ugly after all...
Pikkle
Posted on Monday, June 17, 2002 - 6:19 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

uh... Hobby, that's mom, okay? Get it right! Sis is sporting the HK-90 and a Browning Hi-Power... sheesh!
Etienne
Posted on Sunday, June 16, 2002 - 12:36 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Oh, I missed those dual-mount fifties!

LordH;
I think the the trebuchet was a medieval invention. The onager (wild ass) was what we normally think of as a catapult. It was named because of the way the back end of the thing kicks up when fired.
Lordhobgoblin
Posted on Sunday, June 16, 2002 - 12:29 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Pikkle's sister gets everywhere!
Etienne
Posted on Sunday, June 16, 2002 - 12:28 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

A Remington 870 and a Glock in the holster. She's bad!

Am I missing anything? ;-)
Lordhobgoblin
Posted on Sunday, June 16, 2002 - 12:28 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

The Romans called the trebuchet an onager. Onager projectiles travelled a lot further than ballista arrows but were very inaccurate. I'd much rather takes my chances against an onager than a ballista if I was part of a barbarian horde charging Roman lines.
Mogan_David
Posted on Sunday, June 16, 2002 - 12:19 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

< The most elegant piece of artillery I've ever seen.

Now this is the most elegant piece of artillery I've ever seen

big guns
Etienne
Posted on Sunday, June 16, 2002 - 12:12 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

Blackjack;

There was once a trebuchet brought to one of the annual congresses at the Medieval Institute here at Western Mich. The base probably stood twelve feet high, I couldn't tell you how long the arm was. It was great. The weight dropped, the arm described this great, graceful arc, and it threw a bowling ball sized rock better than the length of the soccer field that it was aimed toward. No *SNAP* like a ballista, just a soft swoosh. The most elegant piece of artillery I've ever seen.
Perruche_Verte
Posted on Sunday, June 16, 2002 - 8:08 am:   Edit PostPrint Post

Ouch!

Just wanted to chime in, Markus is indeed the man (or the 'ma').

And FG is really, really nice in coffee with sugar too.

PV
_Blackjack
Posted on Saturday, June 15, 2002 - 10:25 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

A pal of mine just finished up his trebuchet, dubbed "Tree Bucket".

tb
Etienne
Posted on Saturday, June 15, 2002 - 7:46 pm:   Edit PostPrint Post

A trebuchet is the way to go... much less violent recoil.

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page